Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Don't eat your balls
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:35 pm 

It could be hazardous to your health.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/story/2012-07-25/buckyballs-ban/56481316/1

Post subject: Re: Don't eat your balls
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:59 pm 

Interesting response from the company to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, after several children were put in hospital for emergency surgery due to their product:

Quote:
CPSC: Thank you for trying to drive a $50 million New York-based consumer product company out of business.

Clearly they have their customer's safety at the top of their mind. [/sarcasm] :roll:

Last edited by KelvinS on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 pm 

I read the same earlier today, and then found out that Kinder Eggs are also illegal in the US.
Whuh? :?
Please tell me that isn't true.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:03 pm 

Steveo wrote:
I read the same earlier today, and then found out that Kinder Eggs are also illegal in the US.

Probably due to small parts, especially inside a food product, not suitable for children under 3 due to choking hazard. Understandable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:15 pm 

KelvinS wrote:
Steveo wrote:

Probably due to small parts, especially inside a food product, not suitable for children under 3 due to choking hazard. Understandable.

That's why they have warnings on the packages! For the love of chocolate, the parents should be responsible enough to not give them to kids who will choke on the toys!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:50 am 

This is so stupid. My opinion on these kind of things is if the average buyer has no safety issues then the product is fine. An extension cord that one out of a hundred catches on fire should be banned, not a toy that one out of a thousand ignore logic with.Should hammers be banned because people could smash their hands? No.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:18 am 

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
Should hammers be banned because people could smash their hands? No.

I wonder which warnings are put on firearms in the USA.....
Those are no toys either.

(Alas I read too many times a story 'child shot himself', or 'child accidently killed family member')

:roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:58 am 

Steveo wrote:
That's why they have warnings on the packages! For the love of chocolate, the parents should be responsible enough to not give them to kids who will choke on the toys!
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
An extension cord that one out of a hundred catches on fire should be banned, not a toy that one out of a thousand ignore logic with.Should hammers be banned because people could smash their hands? No.
Actually I think the ban is very logical. Hammers and extension cables are not sold as toys, nor packaged to look like toys. The fact that there is a warning label does not help children that can't yet read, nor parents when the packaging is so obviously targeted at small children. And the danger is made worse by packaging small parts within something that is obviously designed to be eaten by small children. People complain about overzealous consumer protection, until something happens to their own children. Would you risk the safety of your own child for the price of a small candy, when there are so many other, safer products out there? And even if the answer was yes, then what right do you have to accept that risk to another person's life, even - or especially - if it's your own child?
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
This is so stupid. My opinion on these kind of things is if the average buyer has no safety issues then the product is fine.
The problem with that statement is that no buyer is the "average buyer", everyone is unique in their own way so the term is meaningless. Unless you mean that you would be happy with any product that presents a risk to less than 50% of all customers? Seriously?

Having said all this, I remember playing with liquid mercury when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun watching it dribble through my fingers, and sucking it into a straw before letting it run back out all over the family dinner table. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:23 am 

KelvinS wrote:
Having said all this, I remember playing with liquid mercury when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun watching it dribble through my fingers, and sucking it into a straw before letting it run back out all over the family dinner table. :D

Liquid mercury is a bit superfluous terminology; I doubt whether you've ever seen it in another transition state ;-)

Some months ago I saw a maze puzzle on ebay from the 70's, containing mercury.
Decided not to buy it. It's unique, but also very dangerous (especially when it's covered in aged materials).

Nowadays people are far more aware from the dangers of mercury; close a building temporarily when one drop of it is spilled (yes, they do!).

No damage to your mind from it, Kelvin? Or only in a positive way?

PS How should a child know the difference between a toy gun and an actual one. Solution: forbid toy guns! (or the actual ones)
PS same for toy hammers :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:35 am 

FYI, mercury can also exist as a salt in various minerals and pigments, but I like the way you say "liquid mercury is superfluous terminology", especially given the origin of the word superfluous:
Quote:
Main Entry: su·per·flu·ous
Pronunciation: \su̇-ˈpər-flü-əs\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin superfluus, literally, running over, from superfluere to overflow, from super- + fluere to flow — more at fluid
Date: 15th century
Very appropriate in this case! :D

I remember playing with those mercury mazes too. They were extremely popular, simply due to the novelty factor when a steel ball would do the same job.

As for damage to my mind, I take a quote from Rocky as I used to box too: "Well ... I ... don't ... see ... any ... brain ... damage." :lol: