Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is wrong with people?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:53 pm 

I live only minutes away from Aurora Colorado and as you know early Friday morning we experienced the worst mass shooting in America's history. I want to not talk about that though.

I'm asking what is wrong with so many modern internet users. It has been just a day sense the tragedy and already I am finding joke pictures and memes created about it. Seriously this wouldn't have happened ten or even five years ago. What is social media doing to us?

Post subject: Re: What is wrong with people?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:01 pm 

I've seen the jokes too... and the media is poisoning us really fast. The fact that people are making the jokes is just sickening! And on a side note the website I see them on is terrible and if you know the name lets not say it.

This is just sad to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:50 pm 

I think people feel separated from such events. Unless you are there actually seeing these things and experiencing them it can be difficult to relate to them. I honestly don't think most of these people are sick or really mean what they say. They may be insensitive and somewhat stupid but not malicious.
Slightly different I know but there was a thing in the uk a while ago where someone launched a hate campaign against Noel Edmunds. The guy called for him to be killed. Naturally Noel was upset by this but also curious to understand the reason behind it. He eventually met the guy and he was really apologetic and seemed like an ordinary guy who had just let something run a bit too far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:54 pm 

I agree with Tony. And also, some people make jokes when there is something they don't know how to deal with.

I'm from Iran. In my country people make jokes about war, and even about some of the horrible things done to political prisoners (like rape). You normally wouldn't make jokes about rape, but sometimes you do it to reduce the negative effect it has on you. Because in your brain you would then associate that horrible thing with the pleasant memory of you laughing about it. So the next time you think about that terrible event, it wouldn't hurt as much. And sometimes joking is a way to talk about things that normally you are not allowed to talk about. (when you are censored either by the government, the society, your family or even yourself)

That said, in this case it would be stupid to make jokes instead of first addressing the real issue here, which I believe is the lack of gun control. I think it is either the irresponsible people that make jokes about these kind of tragedies so they wouldn't feel uncomfortable about them and would be able to make themselves and others forget as soon as possible, or this behavior is a sign of frustration from people who do understand the real issues, but feel that they don't have the power to change it for the better.

Last edited by pooya13 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:05 pm 

For a huge number of people this pretty much explains it:
Attachment:
offensive_humor_ven_diagram.png
offensive_humor_ven_diagram.png [ 15.86 KiB | Viewed 1329 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:55 am 

I agree with all said so far, and I like the diagram.

Unfortunately this is what memes do - good or bad, they spread. The internet and social media merely act as a superconduit to accelerate the propagation of ideas that have the intrinsic tendency to spread anyway. Just look at the Arab Spring. That would never have happened before the internet and social media. They are the ultimate democratisers. Power to the people, each and every one of us.

We just need to learn to use that power responsibly...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:34 pm 

I live in Colorado too, and I think my perspective on this is way different. When the shooting happened I was in a theatre watching the same movie not far away. And then the next day it was on the news basically all day without commercials. I know people who had friends there. So it is a lot easier for me to relate to this than someone in Greece (just a random place not close.) I think there are also terrible things that happen around the world everyday that I can’t relate to, and those seem easier to joke about. I don’t think it is a good thing to joke about this, but I can understand how people who are more separated from the events find it easier to joke about.
If you use the internet long enough, you find sites full of people ready to joke about things like this. It makes me grateful to have the community we have here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:00 am 

I don't personally know anyone who was effected by this, but I also agree that it's wrong to make these jokes. The thing is, a lot of people on the internet only care about annoying people, without any regard to their feelings ("trolls", for those of you familiar with the term). Also, a lot of people's natural defense to bad things happening is to make laugh about them. It's easy to use a joke to cover up pain; I do it myself sometimes, albeit with things not so drastic as this (i.e. getting a bad grade on a test). I personally don't think I'd laugh at jokes about this at all, as I was crying my eyes out after watching about five minutes of a broadcast about it to the point where I had to turn off the TV. I can only imagine how the jokes make people who were directly effected feel.

~Katniss

Transsexual and Proud!