Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Free PlayBook tablet for developers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:54 pm 

RIM (BlackBerry) is doing an offer where you get a free PlayBook tablet if you write an app for that tablet. You need to register as a vendor before February 15th (the day after tomorrow!) but you have until March 2nd to submit your app. Given that there are probably quite a few people out there who are (hobbyist) programmer, I'd like to make you aware of this. They did an offer like this before and I got in on it, and this time I got in on it again so that'll probably make for a good mother's day.
You can register as a developer through this link. Registration as a developer is quite easy and requires no credit card, paypal or anything complicated. I don't know if they still require some form of photo ID but I don't think that should be an obstacle. You also need to request code signing keys but you can do that later (though it might take a day or two to get them so don't do it on the 28th either!).

RIM is offering some great tools to app developers: you can use a HTML+JavaScript based solution called WebWorks, use Adobe AIR, Flash and native C/C++. Personally I only have experience with WebWorks. You can download an image of the OS and run it in (free) VMware to test out your app (or if you ask nicely, I'll test it out on my device for you).
Best of all, you can use your existing android app: RIM offers an Android app converter that checks for compatibility and automatically repackages your app to run on the QNX operating system. I believe the whole system runs online so you can convert an existing android app in a couple of minutes (though you can also download a set of command line tools, if you want).
Any app, free or paid counts. There are some restrictions (no fart apps) but RIM certainly isn't being picky or too demanding. Monetizing your app is not uninteresting either. You can set it up with a click of the mouse and RIM only takes a small percentage.

I just wanted to make you aware of this because I'm sure some people have neat puzzle apps lying around which could be converted, and even if you don't, this certainly is a nice incentive to try your hand at some development. But don't forget, you need to sign up before Thursday or you'll miss out on the free tablet.

Check out the details here: http://us.blackberry.com/developers/tab ... er2012.jsp

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34