Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: It's Halloween again soon
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:50 pm 

And as such, I decided to revisit an old puzzle in the hopes of finally solving it. Sadly, I haven't yet, but then 1/2 an our before leaving for work is no time at all. :lol:

Since it's still up and working, why not give Rob's Halloween puzzle a try!

Post subject: Re: It's Halloween again soon
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:57 am 

I would solve this by ripping the website :lol:

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:01 am 

And that is the problem with youth today (insert wiser older voice than mine and imagine a crotchety wrinkled up old lady-again, not me)

I've played with this off and on (more off if truth be told) since Rob first put it up 3 years ago. And darned it all if I'm still not stuck in the same spot after 3 years:

"...And provide the name of its Abbot."

and yet, I won't ask for a hint because that would be too much like cheating. :lol: :lol:

See, it's the hunt that makes this fun....not the final solution. (and I'll lay odds I'm in this same spot 3 more years from now. Please don't take it down Rob!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:20 am 

Normally I would jump on a puzzle like this.

Don't generalize youth nor the singular actions of an individual to a group of people or person, respectively.

I never look up twisty puzzle solutions. I solved Myst and am working on riven. I write software, which inherently demands one notbe able to simply cheat. I'm on a robotics team. I played through SubMachine.

Even if your comment was not aimed directly at me (and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt), the youth I choose to be around enjoy the challenge of the puzzle, as do I.

This just isn't my kind of puzzle, and I'm curious as to the ending.

I also apologize if it seems a bit defensive or harsh, but I feel an obligation to be a stereotype combatant, and being youth, feel this burden most strongly when someone starts a sentence with "The problem with today's youth is..."

Moderator for Puzzling Stack Exchange - a new site for specific puzzling questions!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:27 am 

is there something in the TP air lately? It seems to me that everyone is taking things way too personally. :roll:

For me, there is no point in just having a solution to something like this. The fun is in the information gathered along the way in the hunt for the next bit of the puzzle. I've learned a few new words, read a few stories I wouldn't have normally....it's an entertaining way to spend the precious down time I have.

As for raven and myst....those are from eons ago :lol: :lol: (I wonder if my computer will still play those disks....hmmm.....more downtime time wasting stuff to think about :lol: )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:31 am 

I definitely understand that sentiment, and would have it if it were a puzzle I truly wanted to thoroughly enjoy.

Also, I now feel I should apologize for the past post; I probably outstepped my bounds there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:50 am 

Hi Rox - it's nice to see someone still enjoying the Halloween site. Has it been that long already? Sheesh...
I gave a talk on the project of creating this puzzle (and I provided a walkthrough), at the 2011 NYPP back in February - the one where Oskar announced his working 17x17x17.

I still know of no-one besides Gerardo who has solved it!

The Abbott is a tough one, but if you know what "aureate" means, you might want to just try Googling that with order and see what turns up...

And, not sure what "ripping" the site would accomplish, since one is welcome to view the source of the accessible files. I don't think the solution can be obtained that way, unless Comcast's security is deficient (or my understanding of how webservers work is deficient...)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:52 am 

thanks Rob....um, give me a few years and I might just join him :lol: :lol:

You want to know how else I know Halloween is coming?

Go on do you?

Oh tell me you do!

I'm eating Reese's pieces, Milk Duds AND Whoppers! (now if I could get Twinkies, I'd be in junk-food heaven!)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:48 pm 

While on the note of Halloween, maybe someone here can help me with my costume.

I plan on being a Megaminx for Halloween. My thoughts on how to pull this off went like this:
Obtain sheets of 1/8" or 1/4" thick foam board measuring at least 20" square in 11 unique colors.
Cut each sheet into a regular pentagon.
Use black-backed Gorilla Tape to assemble the pentagons into a dodecahedron.
Use the same tape to simulate the look of the cut lines.

I already have the tape, but I am having problems finding a suitable selection of foam board:
My University's store only has about 4 colors among their craft supplies.
Most of the options I have found online are either to buy a single color in bulk or a mystery assortment.
The best option I have found is a 10 pack with 5 white, 1 each black, red, blue, yellow, and green.
I would prefer to due 12 color instead of 6, and I want to avoid "black stickers on black plastic".

For the record, I am in North Carolina, USA and would prefer to order from a domestic source.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:13 pm 

Why not just use paint? I can't see why that isn't an option.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm 

I was thinking the same thing. After some searching it appears it may be difficult to do. There are websites that have all the colors, the issue comes when you want to buy one of each.

Ben

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:31 pm 

Paint is an option, I was just hoping to minimize mess and thinking that pre-colored foam board would have a nicer finish than painting over white.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:40 pm 

katsmom wrote:
is there something in the TP air lately? It seems to me that everyone is taking things way too personally. :roll:

In text on an open international forum online with just black text on white background is probably one of the easiest ways to make a misunderstanding. Simply saying 'I didn't mean it to be taken seriously/personally' isn't a justification. I guess the joke in the parentheses somewhat hints that you were joking, but then again, the joke that does this is yet another stereotype [which my grandpa would sure not appreciate]. It can't be hard to use the :lol: to indicate humor, especially considering you yourself used one. "The problem with today's youth" is like a joke that's racist or sexist: it doesn't matter if it's funny or if the teller is being serious. It's plain wrong and taking it seriously and personally is fully up to us as the representatives of the party at hand. Take this as an example: "Collectors are wasting their money by buying more twisty puzzles." Sure, if you look at what I've said before this, you can tell that I'm not actually standing behind this statement (and just to be clear, the statement is not a truth any more than claiming today's youth are cheaters). But, let's say I put that statement on its own onto someone's personal collection thread. I can expect to meet the banstick.

That being said, I agree with NType3. It's an interesting puzzle and the values are there, but it's not quite for me. Simply the second page has me uninterested in finishing, although I'm sure those into the riddle/trivia type puzzles sure might find this one pretty entertaining. Maybe it's my attention span on puzzles? Usually if I don't have a lead on what can possibly be the next step, I leave it be for awhile while I either contemplate how to try again, or whether to return to the puzzle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:40 pm 

Long string of language that doesn't normally leave my head is now finished.

I'm sure Dave will edit me and I welcome it. I find it absurd when I can't even make fun of myself without someone taking it the wrong way. Your grandfather? Get serious! That statement is just asking for argument and you know it. (and yes, that was personal) or are you now insulting me and calling ME a man?

Last time! Knock it off all. A joke at oneself is just that. Smilies in the posts in question should indicate that. Rox's posts in general should be an indication of her intent.

I think it's time for people (in general) to step back and think a bit before getting all bent out of shape.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:48 am 

Ender Delphiki, I think you missed this:
NType3 wrote:
Also, I now feel I should apologize for the past post; I probably outstepped my bounds there.
Everything was perfect and both Roxanne and NType3 made their respective points. We were all happy and we were back on topic. :D

In other news, every time someone questions Roxanne's actions or mentions the banstick, I always have this song in my head: She's a mod by Ray Columbus and the Invaders. :lol:

Back on topic: Rob did a great job creating this puzzle. It is really worth the effort to get all the way to the end. Not only because of the cool ending but most importantly for the satisfaction. I can't believe all the crazy things he mixed together... Indeed there are a lot of unexpected relationships and I learned a lot (some are very very tricky). Small word of warning, one answer towards the end has nothing to do with Halloween. Also, I never thought I would look up a cemetery map and double check the internal "street" names to find a famous dead person (highlight for slight spoiler).

Skarabajo.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:54 am 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love the singers dancing skills!

(thanks for the laugh)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:20 pm 

Well, making a Megaminx costume turned out to be beyond my skills, so I settled on being a Compy Cube.

The side panels are made of corrugated plastic with construction paper to simulate the stickers. The cut lines are Gorilla Tape.

Attachments:
IMG_20111029_174150.jpg
IMG_20111029_174150.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 2297 times ]
IMG_20111029_160926.jpg
IMG_20111029_160926.jpg [ 1.67 MiB | Viewed 2297 times ]
IMG_20111029_160854.jpg
IMG_20111029_160854.jpg [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 2297 times ]

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:10 pm 

Great idea, but where do you have your candy bucket? I see no arms! Poor thing you. Having to hold your bucket in your mouth all that time. Now I wonder how you will be able to eat it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:39 pm 

The headhole kind of looks photo shopped.
This is really cool good work!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:57 pm 

After wasting two sheets of the corrugated plastic making horribly misshapened pentagons, I did not attempt cutting arm holes in the side panels. For the top, I just took a sheet of Yellow construction paper, secured it with tape, and tore as close to the tape as I could to make the head hole. Also, there is a gap between the yellow and red sides where the sheet of yellow construction paper was not wide enough to cover the full top. That gap gave me enough use of my hands to drink from a soda can or eat the cupcakes being served at the party I attended yesterday, but I could not reach anything setting on a table.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:45 pm 

As long as we're sharing Halloween costumes, here's mine:
Attachment:
SANY1708.JPG
SANY1708.JPG [ 1.74 MiB | Viewed 2204 times ]
Attachment:
SANY1709.JPG
SANY1709.JPG [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 2204 times ]

-Eitan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:13 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
I dressed up as a magnet...

Next year my overly ambitious plan is to make a fully-functional Void Cube out of cardboard. Yes, it will turn terribly and will be extraordinarily difficult to make, but it will be the best costume ever (and would probably be the largest Void Cube ever made...). Besides, I could solve it while someone was inside, which would be fun.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:40 pm 

I have had a history of large, handmade costumes. The most notable (in my opinion) are the spaghetti table:

Attachment:
File comment: Spaghetti!
n724530162_415554_5883.jpg
n724530162_415554_5883.jpg [ 99.74 KiB | Viewed 2099 times ]

and the Shower (like this one, though I am not the model).

The past two years have featured elaborate backstories to the costumes. I made a Sushi Stand but also wore a pirate costume. The story was that the pirate was not very good at pirating, but he was able to fish. To supplement his income, he decided to start a sushi stand. This year's costume is the only one for which I have a readily available picture (pictures exist of the spaghetti costume...). I initially started out making a "monster holding man in cage" costume, but the "man who holds" bit failed so I just did the "man in cage". The story was that he got caught when Gene Simmons blew off his legs with a cannon and he could not run away from the police.

Attachment:
File comment: Peg-Leg Pete the Prisoner Pirate
316252_10150368288722626_196987707625_8067923_2018396675_n.jpg
316252_10150368288722626_196987707625_8067923_2018396675_n.jpg [ 91.63 KiB | Viewed 2099 times ]

doctor who wrote:
I don't think I can make her pose without heavy sedation. The rendering doesn't have to be perfect, it just can't look like Oskar in drag.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:17 pm 

I'm stuck on #3 :(
And....I was charlie brown for Halloween. :lol: (sorry no pics)

Youtube Channel