Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:27 am 

Has anyone here taken the GRE? Have you heard anything about the new revised version? (For those of you who don't know, the GRE is the standard graduate school entrance exam.)

I've been doing a bunch of practice tests over the past week, since I'm taking it this Thursday (Oct 20), so wish me luck!

-Eitan

Post subject: Re: GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:04 am 

I'm pretty sure the test has changed since I took it. The first time was back in 88-just a general test then, maths and language if I remember correctly. Then again in 94 I took the History one.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but I think practice and skill will be much more important. I don't envy you in the least. I don't remember the first, but I do remember that subject specific and it was grueling! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:27 am 

I took it six or seven years ago. I don't know what is the revised version...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:18 pm 

I just got out of the GRE. Since it's computer based, it actually calculates your estimated score range after you submit the final section. Apparently I will get 750-800 (out of 800, like the SAT) on both Verbal and Math. Not bad at all!

The test was just like the SAT. The verbal section was full of obscure vocab that I might have seen in high school, but haven't used since (I mean, who the heck uses words like "obloquy" and "vitriol"? ... other than Terry Pratchett, of course...) The math section was filled with stuff that I could have done before college; any engineering student worth his salt should be grossly overqualified for it.

I'm kind of surprised that the GRE is used to measure a student's qualification for graduate school. There was nothing on it that I have learned since entering college. I bet I would have done just as well on the GRE if I had taken it my senior year of high school.

How can an engineering graduate school use such a useless exam to measure the competency of a prospective student? Wouldn't the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam (which I took and passed last April) be a much better indicator of engineering knowledge?

Well, it doesn't matter, since it's over and done with! Wish me luck on grad school applications!

-Eitan