Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Asperger Syndrome
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:10 pm 

Half? That's pretty good, I lost track about a third of my way into it :) I usually just respond to the voices in my head, but this time I was responding to stardust4ever (sorry, my DROID doesn't let me insert quotes ).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:18 pm 

Doctor who wrote:
Half? That's pretty good, I lost track about a third of my way into it :)

:lol: My new sig

Oskar wrote:
Am I becoming some twisty Chuck Norris, or so?

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:27 pm 

thomasbomb wrote:
Doctor who wrote:
That's the facinating thing about the human brain; it's incredible ability to change itself physically with training and repitition. It's the only organ that can do it to that extent. That's why you were able to retrain yourself socially. Although you will never quite completely irradicate the echoes from past experiences from playing into present traits, don't underestimate the minds ability to redirect your focus away from such impulses and add cognitive layers that redefine your reactions to both social and academic endeavors. We are, in many ways, tourists in our own minds, as much a mystery to ourselves as as we are to others. A twisty puzzle of white and gray matter that no psychiatrist, scientist, or even time lord has yet solved :wink:

I think I understood most of half of that. :lol: Also who exactly were you replying to?
Probably me. :wink: Fortunately, by the grace of God, I was born into an era of modern psychology and to a God-fearing family that gave me the support I needed to erase the damage and be able to lead a free and productive lifestyle as an adult; had I been born in the year 1881 or 1781 instead of 1981, I shutter to think of what they would have done with people such as myself. :shock:

My Brain -> :scrambled:

:scrambled: :twisted: + [Modern Psychology] + [Love and Support] + [Lot's of Prayer] = :solved: :mrgreen:

Definitely not a simple algorithm to master by any means. And I'm still not completely solved yet. Nor is anyone else still living for that matter. Only God can solve a human brain! :P

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:52 am 

thomasbomb wrote:
This reminds me of something I took last year (7th grade) It was a test to find out our "learning styles." There were things like verbal, logical, visual, physical, ect. I scored highly on all of the "nerdy" ones and low on the physical one (or maybe it was considered kinetic...) It went it my ELA notebook, however I burned all of my notebooks :lol:

Interestingly, like so many classification methods in the social sciences, the learning styles idea hasn't held up to scrutiny. What we do know about learning is that the more you can involve yourself in the material, with repetition and with multiple ways of playing with it, the more likely the brain will retain it. (Although a shortcut is to experience it traumatically, but then you'll have nightmares and post-traumatic stress disorder. :wink:) I recently found an introductory psychology textbook that was so much better than the one I had the first time: it was written in a way that keeps the reader aware that these ideas are ideas after all, and are not immune from criticism or outright debunking. Even in the "hardest" of the hard sciences, physics, we should keep in mind that our models of reality, such as what atoms are or what light is, are not the same thing as the reality itself. Science even at its best is a humble approach to what we think we know -- the best understanding we can manage based on what we have seen so far, and subject to change.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 162356.htm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:45 am 

nicknicknick wrote:
thomasbomb wrote:
This reminds me of something I took last year (7th grade) It was a test to find out our "learning styles." There were things like verbal, logical, visual, physical, ect. I scored highly on all of the "nerdy" ones and low on the physical one (or maybe it was considered kinetic...) It went it my ELA notebook, however I burned all of my notebooks :lol:

Interestingly, like so many classification methods in the social sciences, the learning styles idea hasn't held up to scrutiny. What we do know about learning is that the more you can involve yourself in the material, with repetition and with multiple ways of playing with it, the more likely the brain will retain it. (Although a shortcut is to experience it traumatically, but then you'll have nightmares and post-traumatic stress disorder. :wink:) I recently found an introductory psychology textbook that was so much better than the one I had the first time: it was written in a way that keeps the reader aware that these ideas are ideas after all, and are not immune from criticism or outright debunking. Even in the "hardest" of the hard sciences, physics, we should keep in mind that our models of reality, such as what atoms are or what light is, are not the same thing as the reality itself. Science even at its best is a humble approach to what we think we know -- the best understanding we can manage based on what we have seen so far, and subject to change.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 162356.htm

That sounds like something that they would say at the end of a documentary to give you more questions than you had at the beginning of the show. :lol:

Oskar wrote:

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:22 am 

Doctor who wrote:
That's the facinating thing about the human brain; it's incredible ability to change itself physically with training and repitition. It's the only organ that can do it to that extent. That's why you were able to retrain yourself socially. Although you will never quite completely irradicate the echoes from past experiences from playing into present traits, don't underestimate the minds ability to redirect your focus away from such impulses and add cognitive layers that redefine your reactions to both social and academic endeavors. We are, in many ways, tourists in our own minds, as much a mystery to ourselves as as we are to others. A twisty puzzle of white and gray matter that no psychiatrist, scientist, or even time lord has yet solved :wink:

Oskar wrote:

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter