Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Which title should I call the book as described below?
*new option* The Art of Winging It 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
As Three Deserve 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
The Norm 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Upon Arrival 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Absent for Years 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Which Book Title Makes You Want to Read my Book?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:01 pm 

I am writing a muckraker story starting July. That means while it's realistic fiction, it's really 'true fiction' where everything is justified by a real-life occurence. The goal of a muckraker is to give an issue of society largely overlooked the attention needed to possibly change it for the greater good. This one is about Kidnapping. The summary hyperlink. Skip to "JulNoWriMo Summary".

Explanation of each title below. If you believe these explanations would compromise what you think you would read, don't read them.

"Dude, this is the norm" is the comment that got me enraged enough to want to write a story like this with the intention of actually changing the law.

"As Three Deserve" is the MC's daughter's mom's last words. She's birthing twins, but only one comes out and the other kills her. As she's dying, she says, "While she is free the other kills me. Treat this girl as three deserve." Naturally these are the words that drive the story and they're the words that haunt the MC throughout.

Absent for Years I don't really like. It's catchy but it gives the impression that the story is told while she's gone. It begins with her being rescued. It just happens that she's been gone for awhile.

Upon Arrival is because, upon her arrival home, the story begins and upon arrival, this story ends.

Last edited by Ender Delphiki on Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Which Book Title Makes You Want to Read my Book?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:35 am 

For me, the Norm is by far the title which will attract my attention...
Not sure if I am biased though! *cough* maths *cough*

:lol:

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:39 am 

When you read an article that makes you cry- and you know that you've never cried from any story from someone else you don't know- and the highest rated comment is "dude, this is just the norm" it sticks forever. I don't think anyone here has the same feelings about that title as I do so that's why it's just a candidate among others.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:18 pm 

Why not call it "The man who did what he hates the most so that he would be be put to death?"

DJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:50 pm 

J. R. R. Tolkien didn't call it "Journey of Several Hobbits, two Humans, an Elf, A Dwarf, and a Wizard on a Quest to Destroy the Ring and Soul of the Antagonist". Besides, my character doesn't do that for the point of dying; his goal is to change the law (what if the law doesn't change? Not achieving his goal would mean he wouldn't face much punishment at all). I told you the irony of the conflict. That is NOT a complete summary (why post a full summary of a book for public eyes before the book is written?).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:16 pm 

Rentlix wrote:
J. R. R. Tolkien didn't call it "Journey of Several Hobbits, two Humans, an Elf, A Dwarf, and a Wizard on a Quest to Destroy the Ring and Soul of the Antagonist". Besides, my character doesn't do that for the point of dying; his goal is to change the law (what if the law doesn't change? Not achieving his goal would mean he wouldn't face much punishment at all). I told you the irony of the conflict. That is NOT a complete summary (why post a full summary of a book for public eyes before the book is written?).

My point was two-fold:
a.) if he succeeds he'll be put to death,
and
b) having your "hero" do the very thing that he opposes makes little sense.

DJ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 pm 

To tell you the truth all of the titles sound pretty interesting. The only ones I don't like are Absent For Year because it just doesn't pull me in and wonder what the book is about and David's title because it seems a bit bulky and sounds like it should be the beginning of the preface or summary(sorry David still a good idea though :) ).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:51 pm 

"As Three Deserve" and "The Norm" are the two titles I was originally tied between. Now they're the only ones with votes, so I haven't really gotten anywhere. "As Three Deserve" I like a bit more, so if the trend doesn't change when this thread eventually dies, that'll be the title for sure. Unless someone has another idea of a title that does more than state the irony of the conflict in a few too many words.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:58 pm 

Sorry I forgot to include two things in my other post. First, I do like as three deserves better, it sounds very original. Also I think that your should wait until the book is fully written and then pick what title you feel fits best. Just some of my thoughts. Good luck on it though :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:01 pm 

New option! How about "The Art of Winging It"?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:46 pm 

I like the title, I'm just not sure how well it fits the book, but if you think it'll work go for it!!!