Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Farewell, for now.
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:23 pm 

Some of you may have noticed that I have not been around the forum recently. While I never was much of a contribution, I made a few big posts, but I don't believe I ever posted a single puzzle. Judging by the fact that my last post was in the beginning of December, I have missed a lot of "new stuff." Also, with the constant arguments over KO's, and the theoretical talks of jumbling, ridiculous new puzzles, and this "fudging" thing, I find myself lost whenever I do visit the forum.

Over the past few months I have become more and more serious about my music career. More shows= less time. Less time= Less fun. We all know that less fun= less puzzles. More shows=less puzzles. Because of the expenses of being a musician are a bit more than a cuber, I also have less cash for puzzles.

I won't be gone forever. Just until things slow down a bit. I plan to keep my collection, but I would consider selling some stuff if I had a really good offer.

I'd like to thank every one of you, you made it a great few years and made my "hobby" a great way to spend my time. Frank is still in my prayers and I hope all of you great builders and collectors continue doing what you do best. It has been a great learning experience and a great way to make friends.

I hope you'll see my name in lights some day.

-Will Ulmer

Post subject: Re: Farewell, for now.
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:17 pm 

I'm in the same boat, but I do really love puzzles. Sorry to see you go.

It seems as if a lot of forum members must go through this. :cry:

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 pm 

I myself have been finding the forum less interesting as before. Music is a factor for me too but not on the proffessional level, still as a hobby. But I'll agree that many posts here are usually the same ole' posts, mentioning some mass-produced puzzle, forgetting about it, awesome custom puzzle, forgetting about it, theory of puzzles, forgetting about it. The truth is, custom puzzles are being made more frequently by more and more builders, they're just becoming less special. There are so many of them, taxonomy is required to sort the puzzles, and that taxonomy itself is bloated and extremely complicated. There are some great inventors and designers and modders but the overall interest in their masterpieces is going down.

A new interest in puzzles is what this forum- and the rest of cubers alike- desperately need in order not to lose members. Let us prepare to make the biggest comeback in cubing since V-Cubes. I've got an idea myself but this is definitely not the thread for that.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:49 am 

Will, you have indeed been a member with wonderful posts. Music is a lovely interest
to have, I know many people who could not live without music.

Good luck to this career, and it would be awesome to hear from you from a non-puzzle front.
In the meantime, we will always be waiting for you to come back and post here.
Frequency of posting is irrelevant when it comes to quality and contribution.

:)

Pantazis

PS. Personally, I cannot imagine myself not checking this forum and thinking of puzzles,
as they will always be for me the mental exercise, just like sports are the body exercise.

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.