Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Selling Pokemon Cards
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:02 pm 

I'm planning on selling my old collection (well not OLD old, but I haven't even looked at them except to see how much they're worth) of pokemon cards on eBay. I have seen guides and I would like to ask for advice from people on the forum (if any of you have sold pokemon cards) Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Oskar wrote:
Am I becoming some twisty Chuck Norris, or so?

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

Post subject: Re: Selling Pokemon Cards
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:20 am 

There are quite a few things wrong with the guide you linked.

First of all, I would absolutely advise against shipping a collectible card in a regular envelope with a piece of paper around it. It's a good way to lose both the card and the money you would have otherwise gained from that card. Cards are to an extent fragile, and a bend would make a card virtually worthless. It's also a good way to gain bad feedback.

Second of all, the guide is promoting fee avoidance (under the old fee schedule). Starting a card out at .01 and charging shipping of $2.49 will discourage bidders from bidding, especially on multiple lots. I would advise starting an auction out at whatever is the least you'll take on it and having a reasonable shipping fee. Combining fees help encourage bidders to purchase multiple lots. Charging $2.49 for shipping will put buyers in the mindset that they paid a lot for shipping, and will be upset to see you shipped it for $.44 wrapped in a piece of paper. Under the new fee schedule, it would be cheaper to list at $2.50 with free shipping if you get powerseller discounts.

Lastly, I would go through the collection and pull out cards that are worth $10+ and list them separately. Anything you can't get $10 throw into a lot and sell it as a bulk lot. Don't waste your time trying to list energy cards for $.10 hoping to get a bite.

Take your time, do your research, be honest with your listings, and charge a reasonable shipping fee.

Ben

In search of Erno Rubik signed cube.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:30 am 

Thanks Ben! Just to let you know he did advise selling more common cards in bulk.
How would I ship them then? Would the bubble wrap envelopes work?
What are powerseller discounts?

Oskar wrote:

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:39 pm 

Bubble envelopes would cost more to ship because of their size and bulk. I would suggest using something like these rigid card holders inside a normal envelope. I would suggest printing an invoice and wrapping the card holder with it for shipping. If you do it right, it should be well secured and cost $1 +/- to ship.

On eBay, you can earn PowerSeller discounts if you meet certain requirements like a certain amount of sales. It's a bit more complicated, but if you want to know more, you can refer to this page.

Ben

In search of Erno Rubik signed cube.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:34 pm 

Well, I know for sure I won't count for that. I will be using my dads account, and he sells little if at all. Would you still recommend listing as free shipping?
Could I use cardboard to keep the envelope stiff?
What would I do for sets of more than one card?

Oskar wrote:

Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter