Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New iPhone app Speegle Sphere
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:09 pm 

Hello,

I wrote an app based on a sphere puzzle I have been trying to develop since 1992. I put a demo on
SpeegleSphere.com. Give it a try.

How to use:
To turn any half of the sphere click and drag on the outer edge of the sphere, drag close to the center line.

To rotate the entire sphere horizontally click in the center below the center line and drag right or left.
To rotate the entire sphere vertically click in the center above the center line and drag up or down.

To rotate any half the sphere the centerline must be aligned with the center of the screen. you may have to rotate the entire sphere to align it.

It will reset itself after 10 moves.

feel free to leave any comments or ideas I'm currently trying to learn how to change to materials "sticker" but I am new at coding so it will take awhile.

I will be releasing it on android soon.

If anyone has any input for a the physical model google speegle spherical puzzle patent and take a look and feel free to contact me.

Thanks for looking!!

John

Post subject: Re: New iPhone app Speegle Sphere
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:02 pm 

(1) I don't think this is off-topic. This is very relevant to twisty puzzles.

(2) For me this puzzle is very similar to the Gelatinbrain 6.1.1 <http://users.skynet.be/gelatinbrain/Applets/Magic%20Polyhedra/index.htm>.
Your puzzle (regular mode) might be more general than Gelatinbrain 6.1.1, but I'm not sure.
The reason is that the GB puzzle has only six axes like the regular 3x3x3: up down front back left right. Formally speaking, there is no axis pointing to the 45 deg direction. But under some condition one can turn the puzzle in that kind of axes in a roundabout way: If there is a cut through the equator, then one can turn both the upper and lower hemispheres by 45 deg then do R, then bring the upper and lower hemisphere back.

However your puzzle seems to allow users to make turns with respect to the 45deg axes directly. But yours also has some constraints since I cannot find the rule. Anyway, the user may or may not have more degrees of freedom on your puzzle.

(3)
In terms of solving I guess your puzzle and Gelatinbrain 6.1.1 are pretty similar. I'll have to really solve your puzzle to say it firmly. The ten move demo is not enough.

This is definitely a hard puzzle. I wonder if you have solved it. Only two guys have solved GB 6.1.1.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:06 pm 

What is the solved state?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 pm 

Gelatinbrain 6.1.1 looks like mine, I thought mine was unique.

Rentlix - Solved state?

solved would be the original state, is that what you meant?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:47 am 

I look forward to the android release and I wish you luck on the success of your app promotion!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:55 am 

Is this "just" a spherical little chop (deep cut edge +face turning)?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:13 pm 

DudeHuLubeDaRubeCube wrote:
Is this "just" a spherical little chop (deep cut edge +face turning)?

No. It is a spherical 48 cube, or atleast has the same cuts. This is one of my funnest puzzles to solve (turning still sucks) but I will have to hold off on the app because I have a real one, kinda.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:03 pm 

Jack Lopez wrote:
I look forward to the android release and I wish you luck on the success of your app promotion!

Me too! :D

Is it going to be available on the market? :D

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:36 pm 

APJ wrote:
Jack Lopez wrote:

Me too! :D

Is it going to be available on the market? :D

Alex

I'm currently learning to develop for Android. It took me 2 days just to install and set up, if I even did that right. It may be upto a month before I am able to submit an app for approval. How ever after it is accepted I will be running a $0.99 USD promotion. and later release a lite version. Follow me on twitter or facebook for updates. speeglesphere on twitter and facebook.

As far as going on the market. Still alot of bugs to work out and running out of funds. That's why I released the app.

I am also working on a pyramid puzzle that I haven't see before. I have ordered some parts to be 3D printed and I am molding some for a rough prototype. I will post some pic's next month.

John

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:09 pm 

Speegle Sphere is now available for Android. The target platform is 2.2

https://market.android.com/search?q=spe ... o=1&c=apps

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:05 pm 

I am adding a Augmented Reality background in the next App Store update.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:55 pm 

Do you think you could upload a video of the app in action? Since there isn't a lite version (yet?) I'd like to see how it behaves before I buy it. Thanks!

-Jack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:48 am 

Today I found the price went down from $3 to $1. So I bought it. It took me some time to figure out the controls, especially rotating the whole sphere. But after learning the control, I found it a pretty well-done app. Great job!

I think it's no different from Gelatinbrain 6.1.1. My method is, (1) aligning all the cuts and then (2) using certain algorithms to cycle the pieces. On iPhone I only did the first step aligning the cuts. This is the tricky step and I found it as same as Gelatinbrain 6.1.1. I'm reluctant to do the second step since it's pretty boring and the touching control is far less efficient than the mouse control on a PC.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:12 pm 

Jack Lopez wrote:
Do you think you could upload a video of the app in action? Since there isn't a lite version (yet?) I'd like to see how it behaves before I buy it. Thanks!

-Jack

I will post 5 promo codes for the Speegle Sphere Friday 4-22-11 sometime after 12:00pm EST. on the Speegle Sphere FaceBook Pagehttp://www.facebook.com/pages/Speegles-Sphere/194768617223624
There is a online Demo at http://www.SpeegleSphere.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybt3JNHMO0s&feature=related

As far as the AR background, it is just a background currently (no tracking). To add the tracking features I will have to rewrite the entire app, which I will but it will take a couple of months. Until then I will be releasing the update for the the AR background hopefully sometime next week.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:33 pm 

I update the UI for the Sphere in the AR background. The original UI is still there also. If anyone has the leave me some feedback about the UI's. Which you like better, and any other insight..

Thanks!!