Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Concert Band Pieces with Contrabassoon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:20 pm 

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any concert band pieces that have a contrabassoon part in them. I have the privilege of going to a school that owns a contrabassoon, and being their Symphonic Band's resident contrabassoonist. The only problem is that most pieces don't have contrabassoon in them. It would certainly help if they were easily obtainable, too. Any information will help.

Transsexual and Proud!

Post subject: Re: Concert Band Pieces with Contrabassoon
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:11 pm 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Does your school operate an intermediate/advanced level band, or is it more 'expert level'?
Intermediate/advanced band music will very, very rarely have parts for more obscure instruments (Like the Contrabassoon), for the simple reason that the music is meant for schools, and most schools don't have Contrabassoons of Ophicleides.

However, it shouldn't be that difficult to mash something together using the Tuba, Bassoon and other common low-instrument parts, if you really need it.

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:15 pm 

I go to a high school of the arts, and it's apparantly the 2nd best in the country (for arts), so it's pretty advanced. We don't need any pieces with contrabassoon, but it would be nice to have one.

Transsexual and Proud!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:16 pm 

Maybe you can just read off the bassoon part so you'll just be playing an octave lower?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:17 pm 

wozzarelli wrote:
Maybe you can just read off the bassoon part so you'll just be playing an octave lower?

I don't think my band director would let me do that.

Transsexual and Proud!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:45 pm 

portal1920 wrote:
wozzarelli wrote:

I don't think my band director would let me do that.

How come? It depends on how exposed the part is, I suppose.

Another suggestion- you could double bass trombone if there's a part for that?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:02 pm 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
portal1920 wrote:
I go to a high school of the arts, and it's apparantly the 2nd best in the country (for arts), so it's pretty advanced. We don't need any pieces with contrabassoon, but it would be nice to have one.

In that case, I suggest for you to mash up a part using existing low-brass and low-woodwind parts. Your director will probably appreciate that! :D
For example, use Tuba or B. Trombone for the main accompaniment (vary it up a bit), and add in some of the necessary bassoon parts. It's also good idea to do a bit of improv of your own.

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:07 pm 

Donald Hunsberger's transcriptions of Holst's "The Planets" has some pretty exposed contrabassoon parts. Also, nearly everything by Karel Husa for wind ensemble has great contrabassoon parts. David Maslanka's music also has an affinity for the low instruments: bass saxophone, contrabassoon, contrabass clarinet. These are just the first few that come to mind. There are thousands and thousands of pieces with contrabassoon. If I think of more, I'll post here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:48 pm 

I feel I should clarify; if there's no contrabassoon part, I play bassoon, so I'm not not (double negative :shock:) playing if there's no contrabassoon part.

The Fool on the Hill wrote:
Donald Hunsberger's transcriptions of Holst's "The Planets" has some pretty exposed contrabassoon parts. Also, nearly everything by Karel Husa for wind ensemble has great contrabassoon parts. David Maslanka's music also has an affinity for the low instruments: bass saxophone, contrabassoon, contrabass clarinet. These are just the first few that come to mind. There are thousands and thousands of pieces with contrabassoon. If I think of more, I'll post here.

This helped a lot. Thanks!

Transsexual and Proud!