Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: $115 parking ticket
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:09 pm 

I could've bought the v-cube set (almost) for the price of THIS STUPID EFFING TICKET

It was a crosswalk violation, I parked overnight (no more than 8 hours) with my tail about 2.5 feet into the crosswalk. It was on my corner, a quiet street with very little traffic, and the sidewalk ramp was NOT BLOCKED. There was PLENTY of room for pedestrian traffic, though there was probably no more than 5 pedestrians walking in that area from 10PM-6AM. This kind of violation used to carry a 25 dollar fine. $115?!?!?! AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHH!

Sorry for the irrelevant post, but I had to vent.

I know I'm guilty, so I won't try to fight it, but does anyone know if there's any chance I can get it reduced?

Post subject: Re: $115 parking ticket
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:21 pm 

You could maybe go to court for it, but chances are that will be more of a headache and could even cost more by the time you pay court costs.

I got a skateboarding ticket once for skating on the sidewalk, worst part was I was skating in the street until someone swerved into the lane I was in and I ollied up onto the sidewalk to avoid getting hit. I called the courthouse and even went down there in person and in the end I did a whole lot of talking and my ticket remained the same. It may be worth your time to call but I'd avoid going to court.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:01 am 

Here in Australia, back in 2005, I got a fine for passing through a red light with my BICYCLE.
(it was green for pedestrians).

I *saw* the bicycle police (three cyclists) who were on my right and I just went through. Then they
followed after I STOPPED at another red light (which was red for pedestrians too).

The following dialogue took place:

Police: why did you go through the red light?
Pantazis: what do you mean? It was green!
Police: No, it was red.
Pantazis: No, it wass green!
Police: No, it was red.
Pantazis: No, it was green!
Police: No, it was red!
Pantazis: No, it was green!!!
Police: No, it was red!!! (he was getting a bit upset here, so I had to explain myself LOL)
Pantazis: I am talking about the pedestrian light. It was green!
Police: Yes, but you are driving a vehicle.
Pantazis: A what????
Police: A vehicle.
Pantazis: Yes, but where is the license plate? where is the engine etc.? How can it *be* a vehicle???
Police: According to the policy blah blah blah, page blah blah blah, a bicycle *is* a vehicle.
Pantazis: You are kidding me right?
Police: Please show me your driving license (now that was the BEST part!)
Pantazis: I am sorry, I come from a tiny island with no cars, I don't have a car driving license
and I never intend to get one! I support anything against polution.
Police: I am sorry but you will have to pay a $300 fine.
Pantazis: (at that time I was a PhD student with a simple scholarship) EXCUSE ME??? (I showed him my student card)
Police: ok, ok, just because I am in a good mood, I will ask for the half of this to be paid.
*he then passed to me the infridgement notice*

So... he actually made me a favour. How kind. :roll:

I decided to pay it, and keep the ticket. Maybe I could have taken it to court,
because the entire thing was ridiculous. But in the end it became one of the funniest
objects I ever paid/bought (for $150), and I had showed to all of my friends during parties. ;)

It was a clear case were some "public servants" were overusing their power. I have kept the ticket
just to make fun of it and the people who issued it. I mean, if they were proud for issuing to me
such a ticket, they wouldn't have a problem if I showed it around, would they? 8-)

Let me add, that in the past, before and after that incident, I had seen many cyclists,
including the police, passing through red light which was green for pedestrians.
Was I supposed to read a booklet or something else, to know the actual road rules???

Now I want you to all think. I am always thinking of safety when I cycle and I anticipate
not only my moves, but the moves from other cyclists and cars. But the point is,
being conscious all my life, do you think I was conscious after that?
(Answer: not any more, I even used to advise people on the road, but that incident
discouraged me from ever doing it again, and it made me careless regardless certain things).

And after that, do you think I stop passing through red light for cars (and green for pedestrians)?
Since this forum is public, I will not answer, but one thing's for sure, I am looking around first,
just in case there are any "public servants".

Thinking of it, maybe I should have never stopped on the second light, and they would have never
been able to keep up with my pace. Or maybe this statement was because I am now thinking carelessly
which itself was a side-effect of that ticket.

;)

Pantazis (aka Super Criminal)

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:19 am 

What a joke. Its not like a safety hazard or anything. I can understand if you were blocking something, but really, c'mon... :roll:

About Super Criminal: It would have been really funny to see a "high-speed" bicycle chase on tv. :)

Cap-hits, not Cafits

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:22 am 

Just pay it with a smile. Then take Ward Churchill's approach to tickets. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:19 pm 

Caphits wrote:
About Super Criminal: It would have been really funny to see a "high-speed" bicycle chase on tv. :)

now that would be hilarious :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:38 pm 

the.drizzle wrote:

What's his approach to tickets? I looked him up and he seems a bit loony.

And as to Super-criminal's escapades, hahaha, I too have bad experiences with cops and bicycles. A friend of mine was telling me a story about how he had gotten a ticket for running a stop sign on his bike, while across the street the cop's partner was writing another ticket to a pedestrian who had spit on the sidewalk. It's especially bad now that we're in a recession here in NYC and the city needs money bad. They will fine you for anything.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:55 pm 

Caphits wrote:

I actually saw one of these... The guy was going like, 60-70mph...kind of crazy for a bike. He narrowly got through 2 18-wheelers colliding head on with each other, and actually got away from the police.... just amazing... :shock:

Why does he always have the funny quotes? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:18 am 

Arch Wolf wrote:
Caphits wrote:

I actually saw one of these... The guy was going like, 60-70mph...kind of crazy for a bike. He narrowly got through 2 18-wheelers colliding head on with each other, and actually got away from the police.... just amazing... :shock:

Umm... 60-70mph on a bicycle? I don't think we're talking about the same kind of bikes here hahaha

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:42 am 

PaulWozniak wrote:
the.drizzle wrote:

What's his approach to tickets? I looked him up and he seems a bit loony.

And as to Super-criminal's escapades, hahaha, I too have bad experiences with cops and bicycles. A friend of mine was telling me a story about how he had gotten a ticket for running a stop sign on his bike, while across the street the cop's partner was writing another ticket to a pedestrian who had spit on the sidewalk. It's especially bad now that we're in a recession here in NYC and the city needs money bad. They will fine you for anything.

spitting on the sidewalk? your kidding... is that even legal to give someone a ticket for that? :|

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:57 am 

Apparently so. Back in the day when there was a huge fear of tuberculosis the city prohibited spitting in public. I guess they just never got rid of the law despite the lack of tuberculosis outbreaks.

Edit: Link didn't work

Attachments:
spitting ticket.jpg
spitting ticket.jpg [ 130.61 KiB | Viewed 1577 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:12 pm 

PaulWozniak wrote:
Arch Wolf wrote:
Caphits wrote:

Umm... 60-70mph on a bicycle? I don't think we're talking about the same kind of bikes here hahaha

The guy was on a PEDAL road bike.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:05 pm 

Did the bike look anything like this?

Because that "bike" broke a record for cycling at 58mph for one hour.

I very strongly doubt that any regular guy on a road bike can reach speeds of 60-70 mph. Lance Armstrong's average peaked at about 33 mph, and he's a world renowned cyclist.

Quote:
Looking back to the last Tour deFrance that Lance Armstrong competed in his average speed for the prolog stage of 19km (11.8 miles) was over 54 kph (33.5 mph).
Looking at a longer time trial stage, he won the 55km (34 mile) stage at an average speed of 46.4 kph (28.8 mph).

Now these are averages over a certain distance - if he needed to simply max out speed you could shorten the distance further for some increase in speed. Let's just say 35mph+ shouldn't be too difficult. Could he break 40 mph unaided on the flat? I'd say based on these figures it's pretty likely even if just for a short time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:25 pm 

Was it one of these?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:23 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:

There are only two possibilities for this video:

(1) The video is a fake, or
(2) The cyclist was me. :mrgreen:

On a serious note, both "commentator" voices are teenager voices.
(just in case the bad quality of the video at certain selected spots
was not convincing enough)

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:20 pm 

This man apparently had 'time on his hands' to appeal his ticket. lol

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28110362/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:02 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:

Exactly the first one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:55 pm 

I just got a parking violation too :(

Except it's only $35 if I pay on time. Did you know you're apparently supposed to part FIFTEEN feet away from fire hydrants?

At least one or twice a day I pick up my girlfriend from her apartment so we can head to my apartment. I guess I always figured it was around 5' because every time I get to the fire hydrant near the apartment there is always someone parked there and never with a violation. And everytime I park there I've never gotten one either. So I suppose I figured instead of looking it up I'd just go with the consistent data over the last 5 months.

Not so. I was parked around 12 feet away and saw a lovely orange slip on my car windshield. Since I'm spoiled, my parents will pay for it but I'd rather spend their money on things I actually need you know? Not my stupidity.

3x3x3: 0:29.41 (PB) 0:42.38 (Avg. 12x)
4x4x4: 2:18.57 (PB) 2:56:40 (Avg. 5x)
5x5x5: 6:05:54 (PB)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:22 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:

Wow. :shock: It's Chuck Norris! ;)