Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I deserve....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:32 am 

I am posting this in off topic because it really doesn’t fit under any of the puzzle threads. After numerous pm's with another forum member I've decided to post my thoughts and vent my frustrations.

In recent weeks there have been a number of posts that are just ridiculous. There is no other word for it. The forum has turned into both a chat room (and I know that I am guilty of this as well) and a whiners den.

Some of us have spent a lot of time and money building our collections. Yes, some have gotten puzzles for free, Jaap to design a solution http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11305&hilit=tri+trick, (I hope you don't mind me using your post as an example), myself because I purchase so many puzzles from the same people. In my case, this has only started to happen after 20 years of collecting and thousands of dollars spent in the same shops. Never once have I thought I deserved a puzzle just because I collect them. And there is no way I would post that thought on a forum.

As for custom puzzles, I have very few. First, they are expensive and I can’t justify the cost to myself no matter how wonderful they are. Second, the few I have were either gifts for massive (and I do mean massive) favors given, the desire to help get younger people interested in puzzles and puzzle building/collecting, and just plain luck that I caught a post earlier than others. Finally, I have purchased a few for a rather high price. Again, I don’t expect anyone to just give me them because I collect puzzles. I could cry that I missed Pantazis’ post about the magic’s last year, but something (called education) got in the way of checking the posts daily. I’ve not yet started to whine about the missed opportunity and hope that if I ever do someone will slap me.

It is my very sincere wish that the posts that basically say “I deserve this because….” Will end. They are almost as irritating as the “if you invest $5000 you can get…” emails that fill up my junk box.

Post subject: Re: I deserve....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:50 am 

Nice post, I have to say.

Indeed, there are many people who make posts wishing they had more puzzles,
especially custom ones. Sometimes their frurstration takes over their mind and
without knowing it, they can become very negative to everyone, especially to
themselves. But it is also true that in many cases, money cannot even cover
survival. I know because I used to be like that when I was doing my Master's Degree.
In fact, it was during those difficult times when I met my current business partner
(he was doing his MBA at that time).

Back to the topic. Some of the puzzles made are so wonderful that can create
emotions which are hard to control. And if this happens many times, there is this
"unfair" feeling which motivates other, bad feelings.

I am surely not encouraging this behaviour. My advice for people who wish to get
puzzles and make a large collection, is to focus on something they love and excel on it.
Then, they will be in a much better emotional and financial position to get what they want.

In fact, this forum has many examples. Some people have given access to us to rare puzzles
which are still expensive, but with a very reasonable price. Others have worked hard in
their jobs and have always been prepared to spend. And so on.

In the end of the day, it comes up to what you are willing to do and how bad you want
something. There is no such thing as "I cannot", there is only "I don't want".

So if you really want a puzzle, you can move mountains. But you MUST want it.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:07 am 

I completely agree with both of you. The "I wish I could buy that puzzle but I can't" posts get annoying. But usually it is easy enough for me to skim or skip over posts like these. Only in one instance (which I will not quote) have I every been really shocked that someone said this. But in that case it was not an "I wish..." it was an "I deserve" / "It's not fair." As pantazis said, if you really want a puzzle, you can get it. If you don't want it that bad, then perhaps a complement about the puzzle would be better than whining (especially on custom puzzles, which is where this problem seems worst anyway).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:46 am 

Many years ago when I was still paying for my MPhil, and saving to buy a house, I couldn't afford a litre of milk much less a puzzle. Dinner was very often what you know as Ramen noodles. I saw rare puzzle after rare puzzle pass for a pittance but I couldn't afford it. 7 years later (no I won't tell you why it took so long) I got a decent job and started buying puzzles again. That didn't last long because of the educational reshuffle in HK, I was once again in a position of having to go back to school. I finished my second post-graduate degree only to find out it wasn't enough for the "good" jobs. By this time there was a child in the house and more money that I couldn't justify spending on myself much less puzzles. I had no choice but to once again go back to school. After getting yet another piece of paper, this summer I decided I needed to pamper myself for a change--and yes, the "good" job came with it.

I want Georges collection, I want Pantazis collection. I turn green with envy everytime I torture myself looking at them. The only way I'll get them is to work hard, be very good at what I do, and unfortunately spend spend spend.

In the mean time, I want to be the first to wish Dr. Houlis my congratulations! Give me another 7 years and the expenses that go with it, and I'll move upstairs and give your collection a run for it's money :D

My advice is to take your time, get what you really want and can afford. Bide your time, all things come to those who wait long enugh. Even if it is an overpriced Smart Alex with funny looking stickers :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:15 am 

katsmom wrote:
In the mean time, I want to be the first to wish Dr. Houlis my congratulations!

LOL thanks. Although the results are not finalised, the papers which accompany my research
have been already accepted long time ago by some prestigious conferences and journals.

And at the exhibition, I will surely use the "Dr" tag. As the title of this topic states, I believe
I deserve it, especially as my thesis is over 200 pages with a massive research component
when compared to all the other theses I have come across.

katsmom wrote:
Give me another 7 years and the expenses that go with it, and I'll move upstairs and give your collection a run for it's money :D

Your collection is already a very formidable one and it is one of the best around, no question
about this. But beware, after we complete our company plan, and our sales go well,
I will be out chasing twisty puzzles in such a fierce way, that no one had ever exeprienced.
My one million dollar bids on ebay will be no match for anyone!

:P

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:24 am 

kastellorizo wrote:
LOL thanks. Although the results are not finalised, the papers which accompany my research
have been already accepted long time ago by some prestigious conferences and journals.

And at the exhibition, I will surely use the "Dr" tag. As the title of this topic states, I believe
I deserve it, especially as my thesis is over 200 pages with a massive research component
when compared to all the other theses I have come across.

Semantics :P and technicalities :P

:lol: I got you beat. My MPhil just passed 500 pages. It's now being used for a door stop. I wrote it so I can safely say that is all it's good for. One of the examiners wrote round about page 300 as a comment to my comment on the verbosity of another writer..."when will THIS paper end". Ouch! I don't think I was supposed to get that copy back. It's the one I bound for my own use! We can talk about that at a later date. :) 8-)

katsmom wrote:
Give me another 7 years and the expenses that go with it, and I'll move upstairs and give your collection a run for it's money :D

kastellorizo wrote:
Your collection is already a very formidable one and it is one of the best around, no question
about this. But beware, after we complete our company plan, and our sales go well,
I will be out chasing twisty puzzles in such a fierce way, that no one had ever exeprienced.
My one million dollar bids on ebay will be no match for anyone!
Pantazis

See, I'll never catch up. But I can live with that. Million dollar bids :shock: I got sick signing the check for the downpayment on our flat. A million dollar bid would kill me! I've just been exploring your page again and you have once again added puzzles that are changing the color of my skin...a pionir, a clark's cube (I let one of those go 15 years ago for $4.99 I just couldn't justify the money.) ...the list goes on...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:20 am 

Thank you for posting this, Katsmom. It needed to be said. I agree with you 100%. The whining, complaining, insulting and pointless banter on this site needs to get under control.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:25 am 

Two small thoughts on this that came to my mind:

1. The first 14 years of collecting were much more difficult than the next 13 years.
During the first ones I had to find out addresses, people's names, authors, collectors by hard work.
There was no internet and all correspondence was made using snail mail. It took sometimes 3 weeks and more for a letter to reach me from USA, not speaking of parcels that took even longer.
I had to get accustomed to waiting and I did.
As has been said in the posts above, I *wanted* to get puzzles, books, contacts and. I got them.
I organized Rubik's cube workshops, I created a Rubik's Cube Club in Luxembourg, I visited collectors and authors in foreign countries and after some years sometimes they came to visit me.
So gradually I managed to enlarge my 'address book' and I got known 'all over the world'. Just one example: a Greek Sunday magazine published several years ago an article about Rubik's Cube and they mentioned my web address, adding 'one of the world's best-known cube collectors'. This not only pleased me much but also lead to my friendship with the Verdes family, because they contacted me after seeing my address in this magazine.

2. Nowadays everything is fast. Kids don't like to read, they prefer TV or computer/concole games. People prefer to see a video rather than look at photographs. There seems to be less free time left over than 40 years ago. Emails require (no the people sending them do this) immediate replies. The same goes for faxes in the office. People sending faxes or emails think they will be served faster than those who enquire using old-fashioned postal letters. Second, all the information that is available nearly instantly and everywhere leads to 'overfeeding'. Many people think they can have *real* things the same way, and when they see they can't, they are frustrated.

I don't deserve free puzzles because I have been collecting puzzles, information and contacts for many many years. Nevertheless I am very grateful if I get free puzzles (I am in fact getting free puzzles now and then since 1985) and I am also happy to give free puzzles to others.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:31 am 

Thank you for that reply Georges. I just want to add a post you made a while back.

Georges wrote:
katsmom wrote:
I can't go anywhere near Georges site when payday is close. I have to keep reminding myself to pay the bills first. Pay the bills first.

That was my mantra when my 3 children were kids and not living on their own...

Puzzles always come later....You've summed up the post very nicely.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:12 am 

I have a feeling this was posted because of me :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:12 am 

I seriously doubt that this was aimed at anybody specifically, but if this post has a ring of truth in your own particular circumstance, ask yourself what you can do to make things better rather than taking it as a personal attack, because it certainly isn't. Everyone has been a "kid" at one point or another with similar circumstances, and while the anonymous internet can make everyone seem equal, all too frequently it doesn't take much to know who the "adults" are.

Not to say I'm much of an adult since I still have my high school mentality. Which honestly doesn't say a lot of flattering things about my perpetually irresponsible personality or my lack of appreciable growth, but I digress...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:00 pm 

Jin H Kim wrote:
I seriously doubt that this was aimed at anybody specifically, but if this post has a ring of truth in your own particular circumstance, ask yourself what you can do to make things better rather than taking it as a personal attack, because it certainly isn't. Everyone has been a "kid" at one point or another with similar circumstances, and while the anonymous internet can make everyone seem equal, all too frequently it doesn't take much to know who the "adults" are.

Not to say I'm much of an adult since I still have my high school mentality. Which honestly doesn't say a lot of flattering things about my perpetually irresponsible personality or my lack of appreciable growth, but I digress...

no,no,no,no I meant that I was the one who broke the line because there has been a lot of nonsense. I didn't take it as a personal attack :wink: