Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Number / letter boards
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:34 pm 

Most of you will know my hatred for my regular job of archaeology but I am trying to find an item for work. We have always used what we call number boards. Since pretty much everything we find has to be photoed and recorded we use these boards to tie records and photos together. I think they are designed for use in offices for names on desks etc. Our old suppliers no longer stock them and despite many attempts to track down a new supplier we simply can't find them anywhere. Since this forum has a wide range of nationalities with a vast amount of knowledge I wondered if anyone knows where to get these from or even knows their official name. Some of you may even have used them in offices. Obviously we are looking into alternatives and I know there are letter sets available though none seem to be like this. They must include all 26 letters and 10 numbers. They need to be around 2cm high and fit onto a board. Idealy the board should be able to stand. And yes I have even considered making them.

Attachments:
number board.jpg
number board.jpg [ 26.03 KiB | Viewed 1141 times ]

Post subject: Re: Number / letter boards
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:57 pm 

I found this:
http://www.eurostationers.com/Nobo_Wordgroove_Desk-Door_Plate.htm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:25 pm 

Brilliant!
Thanks a lot. We obviously did a lot of internet searching but missed that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:48 am 

He might be being sarcastic...just guessing by his sig.

I had no idea Tony is an archaeologist? Seems like a strange profession for a legendary puzzle builder but what do I know?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:49 am 

Taylor wrote:
Tony, why did you get into archaeology?

If you hate it why not try to find another job?
I'd like to hear Tony's answer, but I imagine the situation in the UK is the same or worse than it is for American "shovelbum" archaeologists: sites are chosen because they're about to be demolished not because they're culturally interesting, schedules are driven by developers, and a lot of tedious work has to be done even during bad weather and nasty conditions.

Yet I imagine he sticks with it because he's got the knack, experience, and it pays the bills. Not glamorous, but sensible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:01 am 

His signature is a quote from British sci-fi show Doctor Who.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:15 am 

Taylor wrote:
It's funny how one or a few people can look very determined and not find anything but somehow another person comes along and finds it. Odd...

Yeah, I my brother does that way to often :roll:
He will be looking for something for something like 2 hours, and I'll find what ever it is he is looking for almost instantly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:48 pm 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
Taylor wrote:
Tony, why did you get into archaeology?

If you hate it why not try to find another job?
I'd like to hear Tony's answer, but I imagine the situation in the UK is the same or worse than it is for American "shovelbum" archaeologists: sites are chosen because they're about to be demolished not because they're culturally interesting, schedules are driven by developers, and a lot of tedious work has to be done even during bad weather and nasty conditions.

Yet I imagine he sticks with it because he's got the knack, experience, and it pays the bills. Not glamorous, but sensible.

This is spot on. Also it is pretty flexible meaning I can work four day weeks plus have Jan and Feb off to build puzzles. I also take the odd week off when I want. This is equivalent to cutting my week from 37 hours to 25 so a definite step in the right direction. Not all jobs would allow me this flexibility. I kind of fell into the job and have little interest in broken pieces of black cruddy pottery. Plus I object to the way companies are forced to pay for the archaeology in order to get planning permission. I am not talking about exciting important archaeology, I am talking about pointless excavation and recording of things like old farm ditches and rubbish pits. In the summer it can be nice working outside in the countryside so there are days when I think it's not too bad. That makes it more difficult to take the step to leave.
Regarding the number/letter board I have now discovered the situation isn't quite as I thought. Apparently my bosses have seen loads of these on the internet like the one posted but every time they try to order they are told they are discontinued. I have now personally found the "Nobo Wordgroove Desk/Door Plate" on several sites which say they are in stock so I will personally check out a few. If anyone sees them physically available in a shop please let me know but I suspect we simply haven't put in enough effort to get them online. Thanks anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:25 am 

I'm a cinema projectionist and we call these grooved boards "category boards". I know this post is a bit old now, but if you're still having trouble sourcing them, we use a supplier called Jacro http://www.cinemasupplies.co.uk/frameset.html?submenu=
Go to "products and services", then in the drop down menu, "category boards/letters". You can't order without a company account, but that should be easy to set up for your employers. The boards are very big compared to the photo you posted and would have to be cut up. They're a helpful company and may be able to get the boards at the size you need.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:58 pm 

Thanks, that looks promising. We'll look into it. All the other have come up discontinued by the way.