Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Alternative words for thin tiles / thick stickers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:59 am 

This is puzzle related but hardly worth a post in the main forum.
After recent discussions about sticker bubbling I finally looked into tiles. Previously though I ran a mile at even the mention of them since I had pictures of those horrible thick plasticky things you get on some Megaminxes and other puzzles stuck in my mind. The kind Cubesmith sells though are very different and more sticker like. They are not suitable for my needs though so I have been experimenting with other materials. The results of these experiments will be revealed on my new puzzle in October. In the mean time though I can say that the material is similar to Cubesmith's though with a shiny finish.
Now to me these are not tiles but they are hardly stickers either. So, what should I call them? Obviously I could make up a word liker thickers, stiles, tickers etc but only the few people reading this would know what the words mean.
Can anyone think of a suitable word preferably already used that would clearly mean a cross between a sticker and a tile, ie a thick rigid sticker when used in the context of a twisty puzzle?

Post subject: Re: Alternative words for thin tiles / thick stickers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:37 am 

Do you know the exact thickness of your material? Cubesmith tiles are 10 mil (i.e., 10 thousandths of an inch or 0.01"). Most stickers sold commercially are between 2 mil and 6 mil. My suggestion would be to call them by their thickness (e.g., 8 mil glossy stickers).

Skarabajo.

Post subject: Re: Alternative words for thin tiles / thick stickers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:43 am 

Whenever I see or hear the word "vinyl" I always see a thick plastic material. I know that vinyl is a very specific type of plastic, it's just that it is thicker than "sticker" (PVC?) and thinner than "tile" (ABS?).