Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: More new 3D printers announced
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:12 am 

The botObjects ProDesk3D is a fast full colour 3D printer with a claimed accuracy of 25 microns, but it costs a lot. The DaVinci 1.0 from Kogan is a lot cheaper but with reduced accuracy.

Post subject: Re: More new 3D printers announced
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:09 am 

OK, this is too much for me to ignore, and I'd like a few opinions urgently. With the upcoming printing I'm doing through Shapeways for the CrazyB4cubes, I'd pretty much be able to buy the ProDesk3D outright.

>It sounds as if the print tolerances are even better than Shapeways, they look incredible.
>I'd like to know if people think the product will be as strong and durable as Shapeways WSF, or if it would be brittle?
>Does this type of printer require the object to have a flat base? Because Twistypuzzle parts are often unusual shapes.
>Does anyone know what the cartridges capacity is, and if the price of the cartridges is feasible?
>This is perhaps an opportunity to serve the community a bit and do some printing for all of us too, or at least test the product for Twistypuzzles.

The other thing is, the printers have a 6-8 week `delivery period`, I think this is too long for people to wait for their kits.. although Shapeways takes time to print too. Opinions?

I've got to roll the ball on these kits, so I'm just after a few quick opinions, I think the answer is probably `not`, but if I hear a resoundingly positive response, I'm inclined to give it a shot? Tried and tested, or risk it? I can always just do a Shapeways run in 6-8 weeks if it all fails, and call it a learning experience, but I don't really want to make people wait for their kits.. and I don't know if I can trust the company to deliver it within the time frame either.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:33 am 

Almost certainly not in my view. And I say this as someone who makes and sells 3D printer kits. The printer concerned is an FFF machine and if you look carefully you will see that 25 micron claim only applies to the Z access. Reality of this is that the pieces are still unlikely to be accurate/strong enough. FFF printers can print some twisties but almost certainly can't print many designs well. Perhaps good enough for an odd prototype but probably not good enough for production.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:16 am 

Thanks for that Steve, exactly what I wanted to know. I had an inkling about that just because of the lack of excitement in this thread.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:27 am 

Not being familiar with 3D printing's particular brand of alphabet soup, what does FFF mean in this context? Both in the sense of expanding the acronym and giving a basic description of the methodology of the printing.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:30 pm 

Jeffery,

FFF is Fused Filament Fabrication. It is equivalent to FDM - Fused deposition modelling though FDM is a trade marked term owned by Stratasys.

The basic methodology of FFF is that a plastic filament is melted and pushed through a thin nozzle. A model is built up a layer at a time with each layer being fused to the previous layer.

I believe Shapeways typically uses SLS machines. SLS Selective Laser Sintering . These printers use a laser to sinter, or bind, together a powdered material into a solid.

Although both types of machine have their place the SLS printers are typically better at Twisty puzzles as they are better suited to small pieces with significant overhangs.

Having said this I have successfully printed a few simpler twisties on my FFF machines.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 5:36 pm 

Thank You. I knew about the principles behind FDM and SLS, but had no idea FDM was a proprietary term. Seeing as how most of the newer, more affordable printers coming on the market use some form of FDM/FFF, am I correct in thinking the FDM/FFF either has fewer active patents standing in the way of competition or is significantly easier to implement than SLS?

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:50 pm 

In regards to this topic, I actually wondered if anyone had been following this: The Micro on kickstarter.

I have high hopes in this, even if it's a crowd funded project (and cheap at that!). Has anyone else been looking into this kind of 3D printing announcements? I consider it an announcement because it got funded fully in the first 24 hours.

Staples (office supply store) had announced a while back that they would go into 3D printing services sometime in the future, and if I'm not mistaken, Gus was the one that posted the topic. It looks to me like high quality 3D printing may be a household appliance in every home sooner than expected :lol:

-Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:38 am 

Jeffery,

The answer to your question is both. There are fewer patents in force and it is easier to build FFF/FDM machines.

Steve