Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: What is your experience with different webshops?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:07 pm 

Hi everyone,

I'm still kind of new to twisty puzzling, and here in the Netherlands, there are not too many different puzzles for sale. Thus, I'm forced to buy on foreign webshops.

Now, I would like to know what webshops you would recommend or avoid. I only know a couple so far and haven't had any experience with all of them. Here's a couple that I know so far:

HKnowstore: Great shop, lots of choice, great service, very famous amongst TP forum members :wink:
Lightake: I have ordered something last week, order is still "processing".
DinoDirect: I have just ordered a Latch Cube there, because everywhere else it's sold out. I don't know if this is the real thing or not.

I would love to hear from you guys what you think about these webshops and which ones you would recommend?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: What is your experience with different webshops?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:10 am 

[Admin: Moved to Marketplace]
1NSAN3 wrote:
DinoDirect: I have just ordered a Latch Cube there, because everywhere else it's sold out. I don't know if this is the real thing or not.
Given the pricing and pictures those seem to be authentic. KOs tend to be far cheaper. So hopefully you have found a good source!

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:09 am 

The only puzzle specific shop I have repeated experience with is Meffert's and Jade Club. They tend to have good products, but don't expect restocks of anything out of stock, and the shipping tends to be either slow but cheap or fast but expensive(though my experience is that that is true of almost anything that has to be shipped from Eurasia to the US). Also, unless their sites have improved in this regard, I would give Meffert's a failing grade for blind accessibility and and Jade Club is completely unusable without a functioning human eye since it requires the monstrsity known as flash just to view its homepage.

The one webshop I really like is Amazon, but their selection of puzzles, especially in the twisty department is sorely lacking and of the puzzles found there, most are from third parties and lacking decent product descriptions. Also, while Amazon's full version gets a failing grade for blind accessibility, its mobile site gets an excellent(and doesn't try sending you to their full site when access on a desktop or laptop computer).

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:08 am 

HKnow store good selection and prices ok also free shipping, tends to arrive in about 10 days (thats to the uk) I use this store alot, I have also used lightake a lot the prices are often very cheap but the shipping is very slow sometimes months (normally when I order from them by the time it arrives I have forgotten I'd ordered anything), I also order a lot of puzzles from ebay (most come from china) shipping is about two weeks on average from most sellers, only problem is you can't go on and expect to find a specific puzzle but if your prepared to search through the listings you can often find good deals and second hand puzzles which aren't available from any stores as they are not made any more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:47 am 

I've used the following stores and have yet not to receive what I ordered:

hknowstore - best site bar none, good customer service, usually fast postage
Mefferts - good selection, sometimes postage times are a little long.
championscubestore - very wide selection of puzzles
lightake - see above
zcube.cn - only used them once, no problems.
fasttech.com - see above
mf8 - mainly sell their own puzzles, postage extra, but can be cost effective
witeden - also postage extra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:30 pm 

Hknowstore is by far the best cube store out there. It has great customer service, a broad selection, and fast and free shipping. However, in close second is cubezz.com with great customer service and quick shipping, but not as big of a selection as hknowstore. And third is mefferts.com with average customer service and slow-boat shipping, and all of the puzzles they sell are their own brand. That's my input as a frequent puzzle buyer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:00 pm 

Thank you all! :D

I will take a look at all the sites you've recommended for sure! 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 am 

Three shops I've bought from:

Mefferts: Quite good, sometimes shipping is very fast, sometimes slower. Bought from them many times. :)

zcube.cn: Very smooth and fast purchase, slightly expensive shipping, but cheap price of puzzles makes up for it. I would buy from them again. :D

lightake: Very unhappy with - made a purchase from them once and it didn't arrive after a few months. Contacted them and they said they would send a replacement package, but I still never received it. Most people seem to have a good experience with them though. :?

-Mark- :)

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Squiggle is such a funny word to say out loud. Squiggle! :lol:

I am with Frank's Family

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:58 pm 

Hi, I also live in The Netherlands and I've ordered from the following sites so far:

- hknowstore: Best webshop for cubes in my opinion. Free shipping cost, cheap good quality cubes, good packaging. Mostly takes around 0,5 to 1 week between ordering & shipping and 1,5 to 2 weeks between shipping and arriving.

- lightake: Same as hknowstore free shipping, cheap good quality cubes and good packaging. Takes a little longer to arrive than hknowstore (around 1,5 to 3 weeks after shipping). Costumer service is also very good, despite their sometimes 'Chinese'-English mails. I had one wrongly send Cube in one of my orders, and after sending them a complain with proving pictures of the wrong cube, they send me the right cube free of charge, while I could keep the wrongly send one.

- miniinthebox: Though the Cubes here are also cheap, are of a pretty good quality and there is also free shipping, I wouldn't recommend buying stuff from them. My package arrived around 1,5 months after ordering. Also, one of the things I've ordered was a Labyrinth Ball with an height of around 12 cm, while the package itself was around 7 cm..:evil: :roll: (To answer your question, yes, they've made a huge dent on both sides. I've managed to undo those mostly, but as of today there are still some small pits in the puzzle.. :( )

- witeden: I really wanted a 3x3x9 v2 Cube, and since they weren't available at hknowstore at the time I bought them from witeden. Also bought one other Picture Cube. Good quality cubes for a good price, but if I remember correctly, here you do pay shipping costs. Packaging and time between ordering and arriving were also around the same as hknowstore.

The other puzzles I've got are either bought at the Intertoys shop nearby, bought at marktplaats.nl or were giving by someone as a gift.

So my recommendations are either hknowstore or lightake.