Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: $100 Elemental:Neon (formerly known as the BioHazard)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:38 pm 

The Elemental:Neon is in production! See this thread for details on its design and production.

The price is $100 for the new standard version (half height, see the bottom part of this post for details). The Classic style (pictured above) is $150 and includes packaging which comprises inserts to hold the puzzle, a box, and custom stickers to hold the box closed. See here for pictures of the packaging.

Shipping is $5 in North America and $10 worldwide.

Customize your Neon for $5 per customized area! See below for some details and here for some pictures of piece colors.

Deluxe version now available for an additional $25! See here for details.

To order, send me a PM or email to orders[at]litwinpuzzles.com specifying what you want and I will contact you when your order is ready. The wait list is posted at the bottom of this page.

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:11 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:37 am 

Fantastic Dave!

Jeeze. People need to stop creating such magnificent puzzles, I'm running out of cash.

Is shipping included in the $50?

25, Male
Started cubing Oct 15 '05

Out of the game, but not completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:07 am 

Keeping the order list both here and on my LitwinPuzzles.com site was becoming a bother, so I'll just link to the site. That had a list with a bit more detail anyway.

The current order list is at the bottom of this page.

Last edited by DLitwin on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:55 pm, edited 31 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:38 pm 

Noah wrote:
Is shipping included in the $50?

NOTE: It seems the $50 price wasn't sustainable due to production difficulties and increased manufacturing costs. Sorry for the confusing thread
Sorry, I couldn't hit the $50 price point and also include free shipping :(

Shipping in the US is $5 and the rest of the world is probably $10 (depends on location).

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:09 pm 

ferrari wrote:
David

Are you going to be offering different colors for the biohazard symbol?
If your going to stick with red thats great too.

Ferrari

As it happens you aren't the only one to ask about different colors.

Initially I figured it would be part of the DIY I plan to offer soon, but it seems there is enough demand to have it on the ones I build.

Personally I think the florescent red looks best and matches the theme of the puzzle, but I can definitely see how other colors would look nice as well (the orange and mirror I made are quite nice). I haven't tried the darker colors (blue, red, green) on the black puzzle yet and would want to see how visisble the etching is.

Of course it is simplest for me to cut a large number of pieces from one color and pre-make puzzles, but it isn't terribly difficult to custom build either. As you might imagine, I think a small bump in price wouldn't be out of the question for supporting such an option.

Currently I have large pieces of the standard colors. These are:
Textured black base
smoke glass (looks black when layered) body
smoke glass plungers
florescent red pieces
clear top
So the standard is easiest for me to build. But I also have a large number of scraps of acrylic from TAP Plastics including:

florescent red (darker)
florescent red (lighter)
transparent dark blue (too dark)
transparent light blue
transparent green (a bit dark)
transparent red (a bit dark, non-florescent)
transparent orange
transparent yellow
clear
smoke glass (same as the body of the puzzle)
mirror
gold mirror
brushed aluminum
aluminum tread
pearlized
red
orange
blue
green
yellow
white
black

It turns out there are two florescent reds, one is darker and the other brighter and with a hint of orange/yellow. Most of the 18 screw versions (and my original prototype) are the darker red, but newer puzzles will be the lighter, which I prefer a bit.

I should get a picture of all of these, but don't have a nice camera handy at the moment.

Since people have interest I will offer a complete custom built puzzle (with a higher price) where you can choose your material for the body, plungers, pieces and top to order. A custom order may mean being bumped in the order line, as I have already built a few with the standard colors.

Cost for the custom option will be an additional $5 for each area customized (pieces, plungers, body, top), so from $5 to $20 depending on what you want. Special materials may also have a higher price, depending on availablility.

If you are already on the list and want to change to something custom, just let me know.

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:55 pm 

I think I'm gonna buy one for chrismas, I'll ask my family to buy it. I'll give you news. thanks to procure those delicious puzzle :P .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:18 am 

Post #500 :)

So the good news is I have built a few more and have pictures of some different piece colors (see below).

The bad news is that the TechShop is so overbooked on the laser cutter that they have now gone from two hour reservations down to one. I used to take the 9-11pm slot and then stay over until closing (midnight) so I'd get three hours total (they wouldn't book past 11pm). Now the best I can get is one hour at a time, which means production will be slower than I had thought. I'll try to make up for it by going more often, but if the list moves slowly that is why. The TechShop is trying to get another laser cutter which will really help out, but I don't know when they can do that.

But back to the good news. I etched a few different colors to give people a sense of what might be available. Note that the flash from the camera makes the darker colors look much more visible than they really are. In the light they are great, but against the black of the puzzle they can be hard to see. As such I'm not sure I'd recommend the blue because it is just a bit too hard to see. The green and red are passable. The yellow, orange, mirror and brushed aluminum are great.

Dark red. A great color, but not florescent so a bit hard to see.

This is the orange from the prototype I built a few months back.

Yellow is light so it is quite visible and good looking.

No, the Radiation image isn't for this puzzle, it was just a test I did that used green acrylic. It's for another puzzle...

Dark blue. Too dark. You can see it here because of the camera flash, but it is barely visible against the black of the puzzle.

Because the blue is so dark I tried the etching up, which is more visible, but doesn't look very finished.

Mirror from the prototype I built a few months back.

The brushed aluminum looks quite a bit like the mirror, but if you look at the detail you can see the difference.

Here are the colors in the light.

Enjoy,

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:14 pm 

New packaging as well. I never wanted to have the box insert be on plain paper, but my inkjet won't print on transparencies. I recently did a color laser copy to the transparencies and I think it looks nicer:

The first seven puzzles are built and ready to go, I'll be getting in touch with the top of the list soon :)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:36 pm 

DLiwtin wrote:
No, the Radiation image isn't for this puzzle, it was just a test I did that used green acrylic. It's for another puzzle...

Now what could that be? Man! I don't even have enought to buy a Biohazard, let alone another one of your great creations!

4x4x4 . . . PB: 1:11.32 Avg: 1:27
5x5x5 . . . PB: 2:26.47 Avg: 2:36.04
Pyraminx . PB: 4.18 Avg: 8.43

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:46 pm 

Siraj A. wrote:
DLiwtin wrote:

Now what could that be? Man! I don't even have enought to buy a Biohazard, let alone another one of your great creations!

Wait for the DIY. I don't know how cheap it would have to be for your budget, but it will be cheaper than having me build it :)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:47 pm 

Hey are you going to offer the different colors in the DIY, or include multiple color sets in them? And you didn't answer my other question :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:13 pm 

Siraj A. wrote:
Hey are you going to offer the different colors in the DIY, or include multiple color sets in them? And you didn't answer my other question :wink:

Custom colors will be available for the DIY.

In fact I will probably have groups of the puzzle (body, plungers, pieces, top, bottom) sold at fixed prices, and then a combined set with the standard colors be a bit of a discount off the combined total. So if you wanted you could order a DIY and add an extra set of pieces. You can even mix and match colors in the same puzzle (triangular checkerboard!).
Since the puzzle I build is just a DIY with my labor thrown in, you should be able to buy one I build and later change it with DIY parts.

As for the other question ("what could the other puzzle be"), I'll post about it when I have a chance to build a prototype. I have seven different designs all based on the triangular sliding block mechanism I use for the BioHazard, and it is one of them (the third I intend to produce). But I have to catch up with BioHazard orders and then get to the second design before I explore that one, so it make take a bit. Or maybe I'll be able to squeeze out a prototype sooner, time will tell.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:06 pm 

I fathom as guess at some sort of higher order Biohazard.

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:59 pm 

THowell wrote:
I was wondering when you said you have seven done, does that means seven total or seven with screws, or seven regular?

Cant wait to get mine.

I have only made seven 18 screw models, #007 is for me :) I don't anticipate making #008 and #009, but have left room in my serial numbering just in case. The first of the new model start at #010, and I have made three.

So the seven I was talking about was #002-#007 and #010-#012. #001 was sold to Milan at DCD a few months back.

Depending on how you count, I have made as few as three (just the new model) or as many as 16 (including the first two cardboard prototypes, my first acrylic prototye, the three acrylic pins versions and the seven 18 screw versions). I don't really count the cardboard prototypes or even my very first acrylic prototype, but I would count the first three acrylic pins prototypes.
So I would say I have produced 13 total, but seven recently.

For future reference, the bottom of http://www.LitwinPuzzles.com has a bit of status info that the list in this post does not.

As to yours, I go to the TechShop tonight, but only have an hour so I'm not sure how far I'll get. I'm just about to ship the first set once I finish up the packaging.

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:21 pm 

THowell wrote:
Thanks for the list.

And not to sound stupid but could I get number 13, I dont think that its my number on the list but its my favorite number. :lol:
Thanks either way

Ferrari

While your place in line doesn't assure a particular number (there are some puzzles I have to build for people not mentioned in the list), #013 would normally fall to Bryan or darryl before you. If they don't mind, they could PM me and I'll swap serial numbers without changing the order I build or ship them. But either way let's resolve it in PMs to keep the traffic down for others.

Dave :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:48 pm 

Lets just say I buy a DIY kit from you. Would it have a list of tools you'll need, a sheet of paper on how to put it together and a set of directions or is it pretty self-explanatory? Call me a dummy or a idiot but who doesn't have one of those guide book sitting around at home? Or am I the only one? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:55 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:
Lets just say I buy a DIY kit from you. Would it have a list of tools you'll need, a sheet of paper on how to put it together and a set of directions or is it pretty self-explanatory? Call me a dummy or a idiot but who doesn't have one of those guide book sitting around at home? Or am I the only one? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I have a shirt that shows how to put a 3x3x3 DIY together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:32 pm 

Darren Grewe wrote:

When I have a chance to offer the DIY kit for sale I'll put together a manual probably in the form of a post on the puzzle building website, as well as a copy on my website. I may also make a video for YouTube (also on my site). It isn't hard, but it takes some time as there are a lot of pieces (106) and a bit of prep-work.

The only required tool is a small phillips head screwdriver (like you would use for eye glasses). Some supplies you might want are some rubbing alcohol and a paper towel (not required, but nice for cleanup). If you care about making it move as smooth as possible, some fine grit sandpaper (I find a nail file does fine) and a bit of silicon spray are helpful.

Basically all the stuff you might use for a 3x3x3 DIY, except the screws I use are smaller.

I have no current plans on making a TShirt of these instructions (it is quite a few more steps than making a DIY 3x3x3) :)

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:58 pm 

Let me just say that this it fantastic! there is a huge range of options, a great price, and a reliable person selling them. Btw, out of curiosity is there any news on the transparent acrylic verion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:30 pm 

TheAtarian1 wrote:
Let me just say that this it fantastic! there is a huge range of options, a great price, and a reliable person selling them. Btw, out of curiosity is there any news on the transparent acrylic verion?

The half-height one I was working on before? The body of it cracked as I was drilling some conical countersinks for the flat head screws. I haven't cut a new piece so it is currently in a sorry state. Given my backlog of orders I don't think I will be getting back to this puzzle for some time.

If you don't mean that one, using clear acrylic is an option for pieces, body, and plungers. It isn't really an option for the base without a lot of extra work as I can't use etching to cut countersinks for the screws. The clear plastic defracts and cracks so I would have to drill them by hand and I don't have a flat end plastic drill bit to do so. Perhaps in the future if I get some better tools this will be a higher price option.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:50 pm 

DLitwin wrote:
TheAtarian1 wrote:

The half-height one I was working on before? The body of it cracked as I was drilling some conical countersinks for the flat head screws. I haven't cut a new piece so it is currently in a sorry state. Given my backlog of orders I don't think I will be getting back to this puzzle for some time.

If you don't mean that one, using clear acrylic is an option for pieces, body, and plungers. It isn't really an option for the base without a lot of extra work as I can't use etching to cut countersinks for the screws. The clear plastic defracts and cracks so I would have to drill them by hand and I don't have a flat end plastic drill bit to do so. Perhaps in the future if I get some better tools this will be a higher price option.

Dave

Thanks for the information, Dave. The one I was reffering to was the forst one your talked about in the first paragraph. I'm sorry to hear that it ended up being in the sates it's in, but i still think that the other Biohazards are amazing and worth buying.

TheAtarian1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:18 pm 

I just go mine in the mail. The puzzle is the right size. For some reason I envisioned it to be much larger than it really is. But it's actually about the size of a Cmetrik puzzle for comparison.

The cutting on this is excellent. The etching on the back is also a very nice touch.

As for playing with the puzzle, it seems like I can't go more than a move or two without blocking myself, but the puzzle still manages to get mixed up. I just need to watch slowly what I do and follow the pieces.

For $50, I would say that this is probably one of the best puzzles for the price/quality ratio. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the next interation of Litwin puzzles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:33 pm 

Bryan wrote:
As for playing with the puzzle, it seems like I can't go more than a move or two without blocking myself, but the puzzle still manages to get mixed up. I just need to watch slowly what I do and follow the pieces.

Once you move a slider your next three moves are forced (unless you go back). It may look like you've got two choices for your second move, but one of those choices is a dead-end.

You'll get the rhythm of it. The movements become second-nature, but the effects are genuinely unintuitive at first: each movement-sequence affects more than half the pieces, and they're not the ones you'd expect!

Try to think of it as an ambiguous context sensitive indexed grammar with a single production rule that acts recursively upon a cyclic fixed-size string of terminal symbols. Your personal desire to solve the puzzle serves as a pumping lemma.

On second thought... :shock: ...don't try to think of it that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:51 pm 

VeryWetPaint wrote:
Try to think of it as an ambiguous context sensitive indexed grammar with a single production rule that acts recursively upon a cyclic fixed-size string of terminal symbols. Your personal desire to solve the puzzle serves as a pumping lemma.

Don't spoil it for those who don't have one yet!

Anyways, I did get it solved. My post was about maybe 30 minutes after the postman delivered the puzzle and I got to play with it just briefly. It's a wonderful puzzle.

Considering there should be three in Minnesota, maybe it'll be a competition at the next Minnesota Open :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:31 pm 

Bryan wrote:
Considering there should be three in Minnesota, maybe it'll be a competition at the next Minnesota Open :)

You and Darren. Who's number 3? I haven't ordered one (yet). Money's tight and I'm already waiting on several other high profile puzzles. (Bedard's Octahedron and Unscrambled)

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:45 pm 

same here. and i'm getting the megaminx and pyraminx crystal already for christmas. I will def. buy one with the money i get from relatives.

NAR: Master Magic
Average = 2.75
Single = 2.63

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:52 pm 

Noah wrote:
Bryan wrote:

You and Darren. Who's number 3? I haven't ordered one (yet). Money's tight and I'm already waiting on several other high profile puzzles. (Bedard's Octahedron and Unscrambled)

Maybe he was referring to you. Thats my guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:22 am 

Darren Grewe wrote:
Noah wrote:
Bryan wrote:

Maybe he was referring to you. Thats my guess.
But like I said, I haven't ordered one. :)

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:20 am 

THowell wrote:
Dang your lucky. Mine should be done soon, (I hope :shock: )

I really cant wait to try it out. Shipping usually takes about two days form Cali, so I still have hopes for before Christmas.

Yours has been built, but I am not satisfied with its movement. It turns out with triangular shaped pieces having things too tight makes them squish outwards and really adds to friction which makes the movement terrible. Having them too loose leads to piece lockups and a jammed puzzle. It will require a bit of tuning (mainly sanding) to get things in better shape.

Sadly, I've encountered a bit of a BioHazard of my own and have been knocked out since the weekend with a bacterial throat infection :(

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:51 am 

I just got mine in the mail yesterday. I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it yet, but it is excellent quality. Consider this "positive feedback" since this isn't ebay and there is no other way to leave feedback.

-d

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:02 pm 

Add me to the waiting list! :D I want one with the orange biohazard logo if possible....if I have no choice then....well...idc lol

and umm....I hear you had a bad infection...hope everything goes ok...it is Christmas time ya know ;)

aside from you're being MIA for the time being, any idea how long it might take since I'm at the bottom of the list??

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:08 pm 

trixter wrote:
Add me to the waiting list! :D I want one with the orange biohazard logo if possible....if I have no choice then....well...idc lol

and umm....I hear you had a bad infection...hope everything goes ok...it is Christmas time ya know ;)

aside from you're being MIA for the time being, any idea how long it might take since I'm at the bottom of the list??

thanks!

I'll put you on the list with the added custom orange pieces. I'm assuming you want the packaging (everyone so far has), but PM me if you don't. As for how long it will take to get to you it may be some time. With the TechShop reservations only an hour at a time I can get only one or perhaps two cut per visit, and I only get down there a few times per month :( I'd guess March, but that is just a feeling.

A few things could speed things up: If they get another laser cutter that will reduce the reservation load. Also if I get a quote back from a local laser cutting show I may be able to have a bunch of cutting done for me. But just to cut a sample (one clear cover) was quoted at $125, so I'm not optimistic that it is an option that will be cost effective :(

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:33 pm 

I received mine last week and I must say, it is a great puzzle. Really well made. I was a bit surprised at its small size. Somehow I expected it to be bigger for some reason. But it is the perfect side for playing with.

Really awesome puzzle. Grats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:15 pm 

I received mine today. I have to totally agree with everyone. Its very high quality. Sorry about that but I thought it would be bigger also.

THowell wrote:

Thanks Dave, Cant wait to see your new puzzles once you finish this order.

I agree with you 100% I can't wait either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:32 am 

THowell wrote:
Help with solving, I've been at it for over an hour and I still cant solve it. I get it all the way but two pieces are switched, any help would be great. I've attached a picture of the problem along with soem others.

Look at the back again to see the completed symbol :) All your outside pieces are backwards! It looks nice this way, but is not the BioHazard symbol. Since these pieces can swap only two pairs at a time, your wind up with two pairs swapped and then a three cycle of the last pair and the center. If you re-solve to have those pieces curving in instead of out you will not have this problem. But then you have a 1/3 chance of the center pieces (three pieces forming the circle surrounding the center piece) being rotated properly. I have a sequence of moves to rotate just these pieces, but hesitate to reveal it for those who want to puzzle it out on their own.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:37 pm 

I just finished #016 for Georges, and I wanted it to be something special. I thought gold mirror would be nice.

So I present the GoldHazard:
Yeah baby! YEAH!

I have to say I am surprised at the lack of requests for custom pieces. Either my original design choice was just way too awesome, the extra $5 is just too much or people are just not realizing how cool some of the other options are. I don't have a photo of the flourescent green, but it is pretty...

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:32 pm 

The red is just the right color for a "biohazard." If/when you integrate the radiation logo into a different puzzle, then green will be the right one for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:15 am 

DLitwin wrote:
I just finished #016 for Georges, and I wanted it to be something special. I thought gold mirror would be nice.

So I present the GoldHazard:

Dave

Blush! Nice, thank you.
Gold Hazard --> GH --> Georges Helm - a great happenstance?

Last edited by Georges on Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:05 am 

I just unpacked Biohazard #010. It is perfect! Even more I admire Dave's persistence implementing the idea not only into working prototype, but into small production run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:25 pm 

Georges wrote:
Blush! Nice, thank you.
Gold Hazard --> GH --> Georges Helm - a great happenstance?

A grand hunch and good hope, but no, it was coincidence.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:33 pm 

It is with quite a bit of regret that I must change the Neon pricing :(

A combination of factors have lead to this, but the two major ones are the cost of machining and time to build.

Unfortunately the TechShop has yet to have more access to their laser cutter, and this has been the primary factor. I used to get much more time on the machine for the same $100 a month and $10 in gas to drive down there. Since these are fixed costs, getting less time on the machine means the cutting costs per puzzle goes way up.

The other major factor is time to build. I guess I was fairly lucky with my prototypes, but problems with acrylic thicknesses have meant lots more sanding and tuning than anticipated.

I have yet to find a shop to do the cutting for me at a reasonable price. The only quote I have so far was $50 per puzzle just to cut the body of the puzzle (no piece cutting, no etching, no spacer cutting). I have another bid I am pursuing and if I can get the cutting done in bulk then I would only have to do the etching at the TechShop and I might be able to get the price back down.

NOTE: The pricing has since been bumped again to $100.
The new price is $75, and includes the packaging (everyone wanted it anyway).

For those already on the waiting list I offer the compromise of a $65 price and free custom piece coloring (if you want). For those already wanting a custom order this means only a $5 bump.

I didn't intend to get a bunch of orders at $50 then bump the price. Heck, I didn't expect to get half this many orders anyway :) But I can't really continue production at the current price, sorry :( I know I may lose some orders because of this and for that I apologize.

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:39 pm 

But will the DIYs still be in the $30-$40 range? P.L.E.A.S.E.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:04 pm 

Siraj A. wrote:
But will the DIYs still be in the $30-$40 range? P.L.E.A.S.E.

We'll see if the TechShop gets a new laser cutter, a new location or I find a shop to cut the pieces cheaper in bulk. Right now my costs (minus my time) for making all the pieces before I put them together (what a DIY would be) are about $40, so that would leave me nothing for the time I spend producing them :(

I haven't ruled anything out though. I've only heard from one laser shop, so I hope to find one that will be cheaper. The TechShop wants to open a location nearer to me which will mean less driving time, gas money and more access to their laser cutter. All of these are good things, but I don't know when any of them might come to pass.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:49 pm 

I think the price bump is no big deal, Dave. I am already on the waitng list and was planning the $65 price all along. The puzzle I think is absolutly worth $75.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:17 am 

An update: I have been busy the month of January and so I didn't get to build or cut any puzzles, sorry for the delay. February looks busy as well but less so, and there may be a chance I'll get a few puzzles built.

I am working with a laser cutting shop in Sacramento to cut parts for the puzzle and once I adjust my design for their equipment I should be able to have them do a large amount of the cutting work. I'll still have to do the piece, countersink and base plate etching, but I'll save a lot of time.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:33 am 

What's with the name change? :wink:

25, Male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:41 am 

You'll note a name change on the threads talking about BioHazard. I wanted to wait for Puzzle of the Year 2007 to be final before changing the name, no sense in confusing things.

I have developed many other puzzles of the same mechanism but different design, and was thinking about how to name them. At first I wanted to etch a different image on to each puzzle and name it based on the image (i.e. BioHazard for the current puzzle). Radiation was to be next, which I alluded to earlier in this thread.

But the problem is that the image I etch on the puzzle is that it is just an image. Many images work well for these puzzles, and the BioHazard image works really well on some of my other designs. So naming a puzzle design after the image etched on it is limiting.

After some thought I've come up with a theme for my designs, that of the periodic table of elements. The puzzle line is therefore called Elemental, and each design in the series is named for an element who's atomic number matches the puzzle piece count. As such my current design is now Neon as it has 10 pieces. Some of my future designs are Fluorine, Chromium, Sulfur, Zinc, Selenium and Tellurium. Diagrams of their piece layouts are posted here in the Puzzle Building forum.

The good news for this thread is that the Neon now comes with a number of different images:

I have etched a few BioHazard bases already (#017, #018, #019, #020) but all puzzles after that will have their choice of images. So those on the wait list now have a few more options (the radiation option, in fluorescent green, for example).

Enjoy!

Dave

Last edited by DLitwin on Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:46 am 

DLitwin wrote:
(the radiation option, in fluorescent green, for example).

I think that flourescent blue would be more appropriate, but not as well understood as green. The green radiation is well known to cause mutations in comic book characters; blue radiation will only kill you. :cry:

Yellow and magenta would also match the theme quite well.

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:27 pm 

great ideas! I still love the biohazard as my first choice, but if I were to get another one later I would definitely try out the Toxic version :D the designs look wonderful, can't wait to receive mine! :D

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:58 pm 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
I think that flourescent blue would be more appropriate, but not as well understood as green.

I don't disagree, but finding fluorescent blue acrylic isn't easy. I'll have to look around (TAP dosn't have it). I have some non-fluorescent light blue that may work though, I haven't done a test.

Dave