Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Methods for selling puzzles...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:39 pm 

We are all aware of Shapeways and eBay and I've even seen Kickstarter used to try to get a new twisty puzzle sold. Here are a couple examples which come to mind:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ifchicago/the-magic-cube-a-mathematic-3d-logic-puzzle
Which didn't get funded.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/danec/the-x-cube
Which did get the funding. Anyone here fund this and get their production puzzle? I'm curious how it turned out.

But the main purpose of this thread was to discuss other methods. I try to show my finished puzzles to friends and co-workers when I can and a few weeks ago we had an off site team builder for work. I was discussing my puzzles with, of all people, my boss and he suggested this website:

http://www.etsy.com/

At the time I must confess that I had never heard of it before. But my boss mentioned that he had a relative selling products on this site and that she was having issues making items as fast as she could sell them. I've look at the site and see some wooden puzzles and the like but no twisty puzzles. Shapeways is a great site for selling unfinished kits but some of my puzzles require a fair bit of work to turn into a nice finished puzzle and I image that turns many potential customers off. I'm wondering if others have considered something like etsy as a method for selling finished shapeway puzzles or any other puzzles for that matter.

Considering the rate at which I make puzzles and the amount of free time I have, eBay is probably the best option for me but I was curious what methods others have used or even if there are other sites out there which like etsy I may not even be aware of.

Thanks,
Carl

Post subject: Re: Methods for selling puzzles...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:29 pm 

I've noticed HKNowStore offers some mods and customs on their web site. That could be an interesting direction, although they may expect a normal retail markup.

Bedard's site was neat while it lasted, but it would have been much better as a site selling finished puzzles.

TheTwistyStore (before it got hacked and taken down) was supposed to be a place finished customs could be sold, but they were hard to keep in stock. Part of the idea was lower prices back then which helped lead to its downfall. It would be fun to have a store like that put back up, where completed customs from all designers could be sold in one place with no (or negligible like 0.5%) markup by the store.

Etsy feels to me unlikely to generate sales for custom puzzles simply because they are generally more expensive than someone would buy on a whim. In other words, someone surfing Etsy for crafty things who runs into a $100 twisty puzzle seems unlikely to bite to me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:16 am 

In my opinion a "simple way", but maybe not the best, would be making a website where evrydessigner could "add"/post witch puzzles they are selling (assembled), and via this website you would be able to contact the dessigner personnally. The website would basicly just be a catalogue where the buyer can look witch puzzles in on sale. In other word, it would be a website where the dessigner can "display" the puzzle he want to sell (assembled). So if the buyer as some interest for a puzzle he would contact the dessigner. I know it's not a big difference from what the forums does now, but like a said, the idear is mostly to use it as a catalogue.

Sorry for my poor english :oops: .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:22 pm 

My wife and I sell vintage items on Etsy. We find we can charge a higher price than on Ebay and have over all had much less issues with bad buyers. Their fees are also less than Ebay. I'm not sure if this would translate to puzzles though.
So far we've sold about 100 items on Etsy with no issues at all whereas on Ebay. We've had a few "broken" items that I have a hard time believing broke in transit. I was also forced to refund a guy his money despite the fact that the item was still in transit. Ebay seems to always side with the buyers and some buyers take advantage of this.

-d

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:30 pm 

I long ago opened a shop on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/grigorusha
there is a another audience, these guys not often buy expensive puzzle ...

also you can sell your puzzle on: http://www.hknowstore.com/ and http://www.puzzlemaster.ca/