Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Custom Qubami (TP members only)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:17 am 

I find corner cutting to be very good, actually. Mine hasn't locked up at all as of yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:30 am 

I'm so excited to recieve my Qubami's. I ordered plain labels and Qubami labels. Once I recieve them I will do a review from the speed solvers prospective, puzzle collector prospective, and just solving for fun prospective :P

You just Uber Pwned a Noob

http://willscubingcenter.webs.com/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:56 am 

I got mine yesterday - black with metallic Qubami stickers.

I was hoping to use a corners first method as most people know that the diagonals either match by colour or shape. Turns out that isn't the case for all Qubami(s?). I have one corner where the only way it will work if the sticker matches the centre exactly and the other diagonals are completely different. Kelvin certainly has made a very confusing puzzle :?.

The Qubami feels quite heavy but not uncomfortable in the hands. It feels very durable. If you try to turn and it doesn't go, it doesn't feel as though it will pop. The rotation is very smooth but the corner cutting isn't quite as good as the one in the video unfortunately. I don't think you can speedsolve the Qubami version though anyway :wink:.

Very Good!

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:52 pm 

I've tried to make two better pictures of my Qubami cubes.

Here the standard, base silver, metallic stickers, standard color scheme:

and here the Qubami, base purple, metallic stickers (cyan, magenta, yellow)

I've put them on a glass table with some light source underneath.
Hope this helps to do justice to the nice and shiny materials.

Last edited by Konrad on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:09 pm 

Today my second Qubami has arrived.
The envolope had been opened by customs again, but this time the cube remained unscrambled.

Here is a picture in its arrival state:

I'm very pleased again.
The base is black this time, stickers cyan, magenta, yellow as before.
Now I have a debate with my wife: She likes the black better, I like the somehow transparent purple.
But this is more a thelogical discussion: I think both are wonderful.

Kelvin, have you decided already which choices you'll offer in your upcoming internet shop?
The transparent base I've not yet tried.
I'll have a look at your pictures and decide If I should have one more. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:32 pm 

APJ wrote:
I got mine yesterday - black with metallic Qubami stickers.

I was hoping to use a corners first method as most people know that the diagonals either match by colour or shape. Turns out that isn't the case for all Qubami(s?). I have one corner where the only way it will work if the sticker matches the centre exactly and the other diagonals are completely different. Kelvin certainly has made a very confusing puzzle :?.
Very Good!

Alex
Alex, the issue of symmetric and asymmetric Qubami (I'm uncertain about the plural either) has been discussed in the solution thread here.
Please, have a look at my post from November 3.

My first Qubami had 2 asymmetric sides.

and the other 3 sides

I've got my second today and this one is symmetric. I'm not sure, but it could be that asymmetric Qubami are harder.

Last edited by Konrad on Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:40 pm 

konsassen wrote:
Kelvin, have you decided already which choices you'll offer in your upcoming internet shop?

Only one standard base colour will be freely available to the general public (black or purple, I haven't decided yet), but the other 3 colours will be available under "special circumstances", and all will have standard cyan, yellow and magenta labels. I wish I could say more (I'm so excited by what I have planned), but I want to keep this as a big surprise when everything is ready for launch (website, automated assembly, packaging, distribution, etc.). :wink:

This may take some months, but keep an eye on the update thread as things progress. :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:51 pm 

konsassen wrote:
My first Qubami had 2 asymmetric sides.

Mine does too! I've only realised now that I've solved it.

Alex

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:15 pm 

Has anyone in the US (or elsewhere outside Europe) received their Qubami yet? I'm curious/anxious to know how long delivery is actually taking from order to receipt, despite what the Swiss Post Office says...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:40 pm 

I am very nervous. I haven't recieved mine yet (US) but I have a competiton in exactly one week (14th) and I plan on using it as my main cube and showing it off to everyone! Hope it comes in time!!! :mrgreen:

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:58 pm 

What comp? MIT?

You just Uber Pwned a Noob

http://willscubingcenter.webs.com/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:37 pm 

UT at Austin, Tx.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:30 am 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Has anyone in the US (or elsewhere outside Europe) received their Qubami yet? I'm curious/anxious to know how long delivery is actually taking from order to receipt, despite what the Swiss Post Office says...

Any news from anyone on this yet?? I'm getting concerned if this is taking so long, especially as I know people are waiting anxiously. Please let me know, then others can take at least some comfort that they have started arriving...

On a different matter, I have had some private discussions with one customer, who was disappointed to learn that not all Qubami puzzles are truly unique, and so I would like to clarify this matter to avoid any further disappointment, or put things right if that is the case.

In some of my earlier posts, I declared that there are "over 100,000 different puzzles, each with its own unique solution". My intention here was to create a simple message that each puzzle should be solved independently. I can see now that this has been interpreted by some more literally than I had intended, as if each individual puzzle must be completely unique, with a solution that is different to every other puzzle.

In fact, as I explained here:

Kelvin Stott wrote:
some puzzles with different ordered starting points DO in fact share the same solution, but of course it is very difficult to tell which puzzles are related, just by looking. :D

In reality, there are "only" several hundred truly unique solutions, and each of these solutions can be arranged in several hundred different starting configurations. Thus, I had intended my original message to be interpreted as: "over 100,000 different puzzle configurations, or challenges, each with its own secret individual solution", meaning that each puzzle has just one solution, which you have to figure out independently for that particular puzzle.

I certainly never intended for my original message to be taken so literally, but most words in any language have several meanings. In particular, I had intended "different puzzles" to mean "different challenges, from set starting configuration to solution", not as "completely non-equivalent physical puzzles that cannot be transformed into another". And I had intended "unique solution" to mean "the only possible solution for each particular puzzle", in the same way that mathematicians say an equation has a unique solution, meaning only one possible solution for that equation.

Moreover, it was certainly never my intention to mislead anyone. My goal has always been to provide a difficult and fun challenge, while being as open and honest as possible about the puzzle, my plans, motives, and even the entire process of putting the puzzle into production.

I would like to say, however, I do believe that there is a point where being too open about certain facts could take all the the fun and enjoyment out of solving the puzzle. For example, I would never give away the solution, nor any tips on how to solve the puzzle (including specific numbers), because I think the whole point of a puzzle is to enjoy solving it for yourself. After all, that's what puzzles are for, and that's why we're all here, right? :D

However, while limiting the amount of information I give out is one thing, I would NEVER compromise on honesty and integrity. Not even in the name of fun.

Therefore, I have gone back and clarified the language in all my earlier posts, to confirm that there are "over 100,000 different puzzle configurations, each with its own secret solution". It is a very small change, but apparently necessary to avoid any potential misunderstanding and thus manage expectations carefully, as I have always tried to do.

I have also offered to make a full refund to that customer for his disappointment (he politely declined), but I would now like to extend this offer to anyone else who may feel so upset or misled by my original message. Please do get in touch by PM if you would like to return your puzzles, for any reason at all.

Really, this discussion should never have arisen in the first place, especially not on such a friendly forum, but I take full responsibility for that, and I'm sorry. :(

And just one final word: please let us not forget that puzzles are supposed to be fun... :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:54 pm 

Sadly I'm still waiting for mine to arrive here in San Francisco :/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:19 pm 

I'm still waiting as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:24 pm 

Hmmm, that's disappointing, these were all posted on 27 Oct and should have arrived by now (14 days). Anyone else in US actually got theirs yet?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:01 pm 

If it makes you feel any better, I NEVER get packages as quickly as other people who post here. 3½ weeks is common for anything from Europe and Mefferts. Three weeks on average from Hong Kong.

Hendrik's packages (Germany) take 5-6 weeks, leaning more towards the 6 weeks than the 5.

I think my post office hates me. :|

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:28 pm 

Those times are actually pretty acurate. Except for "Free shipping" from Hong Kong. :?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:41 pm 

Well that would suck. Maybe when the Post Office says "7 to 14 days max", they actually mean it might hang around in their depot for that long before they start thinking about whether to maybe get up off their butts and load it into the van. Seeing how lazy and slow those guys are it wouldn't surprise me... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:51 am 

Good news from Germany:
My third Qubami has arrived after three days.
Delivery times from Switzerland to Germany have improved from 1 week to 4 days and now 3 days.
Thanks Kelvin!

Customs likes Qubami: This time it has arrived very much scrambled. (But not yet 100%)
If that happens every time, it adds to the number of possible starting configurations. :D
I've chosen the same sticker colors (metallic cyan, magenta, ) as before.
Base colour transparent

I had purple and black before and I have to say that the other base colours look a bit better This is meant relatively. To me is purple 1, black 2, transparent 3. My wife says black 1, purple 2, transparent 3.
Everybody will make his/her own mind.
(Kelvin will chose either black or purple for his online shop)

I'm still very happy with transparent, because now all three are easily distinguishable. :)

EDIT: While solving the new transparent Qubami I've found that the stickers look very clear against the transparent base. Aesthetically I still prefer purple or black but the pattern recognition is really very good on the transparent.

Last edited by Konrad on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:34 am 

NOW THAT IS JUST NOT FAIR!!! You have three before we non-Europeans recieve one. :evil: (By the way, Kelvin, their is an open house in my neighbor hood. Big house, great cubes, free and fast shipping to me.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:46 am 

Steryne wrote:
NOW THAT IS JUST NOT FAIR!!! You have three before we non-Europeans recieve one. :evil: (By the way, Kelvin, their is an open house in my neighbor hood. Big house, great cubes, free and fast shipping to me.)
I know it's not fair but that is geography. :wink:
Maybe, US customs is even more cautious looking for bombs than the people at the European borders? :D
My Qubami were controlled by scrambling. Maybe, yours are disassembled and reassembled. People at customs will say to each other: "Now, look at that strange thing. That is NOT a Rubik's cube. We better be careful." :lol:

Anyway, I wish all of you in other areas of the world good luck that your Qubami will be there soon.
And I want to add that I had to wait for my Meffert/ Tony Fisher cubes much longer than you are now waiting for the Qubami.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:05 am 

With the exception of Roxy and Smaz, we all wait for Mefferts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:30 pm 

US customs rarely if ever inspects small packages. That's one of the reasons we pay no customs fees. I think the main types of stuff they are concerned with are drugs and hazardous materials, and those can be detected easily without damaging the package, using drug- and bomb-sniffing dogs, etc. Weapons can be easily detected by X-Ray machines. As far as counterfeit goods are concerned, they target large commercial shipments, not the small odd parcel, etc...

Kind of odd that their postal regulations are so lax compaired to the tightness of airport/ border security, though we have 911 to blame for that.

My mother said I got a package from somewhere, text in a foreign language but using western characters (meaning most likely somewhere in Europe), so it's definitely not from Hong Kong. I also ordered a couple of puzzles from Hungary as well as some direct from another forum member. I'm in school so I can't inspect the packages right away; my mom just collects the boxes and places them in my bedroom for when I get home.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:13 pm 

Still nothing here either. (Brazil)

Paulo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:18 am 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Has anyone in the US (or elsewhere outside Europe) received their Qubami yet?
Not yet. :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:23 pm 

As a proud owner of three Qubami I want to thank Kelvin for this challenge and his very nice design.
Here is a picture of the three sitting in the sun on my garden table:

I have to admit that I was the customer Kelvin had referred to in his post above (partially quoted below).
Yes, it is true that I have been disappointed for a while, when I had found out that there are not as many physically different Qubami as I had originally understood. This feeling has completely disappeared.
I'm very content and I thank Kelvin for all his effort clarifying things in a very clear and open manner.
Kelvin Stott wrote:

…
On a different matter, I have had some private discussions with one customer, who was disappointed to learn that not all Qubami puzzles are truly unique, and so I would like to clarify this matter to avoid any further disappointment, or put things right if that is the case.
…
However, while limiting the amount of information I give out is one thing, I would NEVER compromise on honesty and integrity. Not even in the name of fun.
…
And just one final word: please let us not forget that puzzles are supposed to be fun... :D

I'm very much back at having fun with my Qubami and I hope all others (many still waiting) will have it too. I'm now thinking:
What has changed? Well, really not much. Nobody can guess from the state at arrival of his Qubami, how the solution will look like. Chances are very high that even when ordering three you will get all different.
And really, the challenge and the fun lasts for a while.
My wife can tell you about the long hours I have dedicated to my three Qubami the last 10 days.

I think, you might have seen Sven Govals review here
While I can accept most of Sven's views and even share many, I'm not sure what the short lifetime means. It took him five hours to find the solution of his.
If he talks about the 5 hours I can understand that he feels the lifetime is short (He has assigned 3 stars).
I think differently about the lifetime aspect:
First of all, your Qubami has three challenges: solve color, solve symbols solve the hidden, specific Qubami pattern.
The last is obviosly the hardest, the other two are not so easy either.

I'm not really a big fan of Sudoku, but one thing is true for me: When I had solved a hard Sudoku and I looked at a fresh copy of the very same Sudoku a few days later, I had to start from scratch completely.
This is true - at least for me - when it comes to solving the Qubami pattern.
If lifetime of Qubami is considered short, which twisty puzzle has a long lifetime then??? :shock: :roll:

Looking at the design I'm very pleased. I have already corrected my opinion about the transparent base. The symbols are even clearer on this one than on the black or purple background. I had always identical sticker colours and I like very much the light reflections when I'm turning my Qubami.

Turning is good out of the envelope and a few drops of silicone makes it very good (At least for the current edition, do not expect cornercutting to be better than that of ordinary speed cubes.)

Thank you Kelvin again and good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:45 pm 

konsassen wrote:
Nobody can guess from the state at arrival of his Qubami, how the solution will look like.

Well in view of your explanation, obviously he plays Qubami.

By the way recent explanations have made Qubami attractive to me too and I have to remember to order one.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:23 am 

My purple and clear Qubami puzzles arrived on Thursday, November 12, 2009.
Kelvin Stott wrote:
...these were all posted on 27 Oct...

That means 17 days (2½ weeks), or 13 business days from Switzerland to Atlanta, GA, USA. Not bad. Most of my packages from Europe take longer.

Perhaps when the Switzerland Post Office says 7-14 days, they mean business days (M-F)?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:03 am 

konsassen wrote:
As a proud owner of three Qubami I want to thank Kelvin for this challenge and his very nice design... I'm very content and I thank Kelvin for all his effort clarifying things in a very clear and open manner.
Many thanks Konrad, I'm pleased we managed to get it all sorted. :D

blizzard_kb wrote:
My purple and clear Qubami puzzles arrived on Thursday, November 12, 2009.
Great news, I hope this means a flood of Qubamies* are about to hit mailboxes across America! :P

*Does "Qubamies" sound OK as the official plural? :?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:39 am 

I would say the plural of Qubami is/should be Qubami.

Qubamies just sounds bad :roll:

"I have over 9000 Qubami."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:47 am 

EMarx wrote:
I would say the plural of Qubami is/should be Qubami.

Qubamies just sounds bad :roll:
Hmmm, you may be right - I just hope I don't have to change the single to ... Qubamus.

'coz that sounds REALLY bad. :lol:

EMarx wrote:
"I have over 9000 Qubami."
For some reason, that sounds really good. :P :wink:

Last edited by KelvinS on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:29 am 

Is it pronounced cue (billard's cue ball) bomb (tic, tic, boom) bee (buzz, buzz, sting) becuase then I would go with cue-bomb-bye (good bye) as a plural.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:34 am 

Intended pronounciation = cue-bah-me (emphasis on middle syllable), like "origami".

BTW, what's the plural of origami?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:42 am 

I vote for plural Qubami. If there must be an s at the end differentiating between singular and plural, make it Qubamis. Qubamies looks strange to me, too.
Kelvin is the one to decide it, though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:48 am 

konsassen wrote:

I've always like the idea of customers making all the decisions. :D :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:33 am 

To tell you the truth, I think the plural should be Qubami, like moose.

Basically, singular and plural at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:42 am 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
konsassen wrote:

I've always like the idea of customers making all the decisions. :D :wink:

In this case, free Qubami for everyone!

Get to work Kelvin :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:44 am 

Qubami sounds the best to me. I pronounce how Kelvin showed and believe that Qubami as the plural is the best.

Also, if there is an 's', it should be without an 'e' in my opinion.

Alex

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:56 am 

I like the plural of Qubami as Qubami as well.

As a distant second choice, the plural should be Qubamis.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:25 pm 

Call them whatever you want..... My two arrived today! :D
Now I have to go through the threads to figure out what I'm supposed to do with it. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:07 pm 

Mine arrived yesterday. I just had time to pick it up and attempt to scramble for a minute or so. It turns really nicely.

-d

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:25 pm 

Mine arrived today.
They turn very nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:29 am 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
BTW, what's the plural of origami?

Origami.

Kami is paper. Both singular and plural are kami.

Oru is fold. Both singular and plural are oru. Ori is the noun form, and the verb stem used in compound words.

Compounding doesn't change the rule that Japanese words are uncountable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:18 pm 

Solved it (or messed it up?)!!!! :lol:
My first try took an hour or so... then I gave up and solved it by symbols
THEN this morning I was looking at it sitting on my shelf, and I realized what I needed to do!

I then solved it in 20 minutes :wink:

I love it! Thanks Kelvin!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:21 am 

I've got my two Qubami's in hand, they look gorgeous! :D Although the bag they came in was a little torn and battered :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:50 pm 

I recieved my Qubami today and I was happy to recieve it. I wasn't the first to get theirs but it was worth the wait! I decided to compare it to my speed cube. I gave it 2 practice solves and then opened up cubetimer.com. I used the same scrambles (as best as I could, I know that one of the scrambles was completely different on the two puzzles). My speed cube times were as follows (and please don't laugh, it has been a long day :oops: )

5: 00:32.56 (lucky)
4: 00:40.49
3: 00:41.05
2: 00:45.70
1: 00:40.87

and my new Qubami times were

5: 00:35.98
4: 00:54.93 (huge fluke on f2l)
3: 00:33.55
2: 00:37.02
1: 00:48.90

So it was an over all decrease of 4.83%. Not bad for a new cube right out of the box. Now, if we take off the best and the worse in both the Qubami and my speed cube off than the Qubami is better by 0.44%! Not very much but if you consider that the Qubami is shaped different (bubbly :mrgreen: ) and that my speed cube is the cube I have used for the last 8 months (and not the last 30 min) I think that the Qubami has a lot of potential! It has a little bit of getting used to that hasn't taken place yet but I can't wait for it to move into my gem at comptetions.
Some closing notes: the tiles are grippy even though they aren't textured. When I got it I had to lube it (and it doesn't take much at all! I over lubed mine and have to clean it out now) and that once the tiles go on, they aren't coming off in one piece.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:27 pm 

Just received mine a few minutes ago. I'm at work so I don't have time really to play with them but I'll see how they shape up tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 pm 

Still nothing here yet. (Brazil) :-(

Paulo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:19 pm 

Received mine today, threw the package in the car and opened it on my way to class. It's absolutely beautiful. Thanks Kelvin!

P.S. I haven't had time to scramble/solve it yet, but I can't stop admiring it. It is very aesthetically pleasing.

Edit:
Jeeeeeez! I just spritzed a tiny amount of silicone into my Qubami and maaaaaaaaaan is this thing smooth! It turned well to begin with, but I can't believe how well it responded to a tiny amount of silicone. Be careful lubing the Qubami, a little bit goes a looooong way.

Now I wish I can afford to buy more and have several varieties, including one with a regular color scheme.

The Qubami itself is a great puzzle. I was able to solve it by color and by shape, but haven't solved it the "official" way yet, that's an endeavor for tomorrow.

I love this puzzle!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next