Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Ebay pictures vanishing after a short time
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:37 am 

Today I have been browsing the forum looking for information on the groove and spindle dominoes. I found the information I searched for and then I got caught (as so often) in a "dead" thread called "Puzzle, puzzle on the floor, who is the rarest of them all?"
There were some very interesting pictures in this thread, but most of the pictures were references to ebay auctions. As the thread is from 2005, naturally all these ebay links don't work any longer.
Would there be a possibility to save the picture(s) of the posted auctions or would it be better to copy the picture on one's hard disk and insert it into the post, so that it would be kept in the twistypuzzle storage memory?

Last edited by Georges on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:19 am 

I don't see a way to do this automatically, so everyone should try to do it when posting an "interesting" picture in a link, whereas the term "interesting" will surely be thought of differently by many of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:49 am 

It would be nice if something could be done. I have always tried to post the final price of an auction when posting a link for that very reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:55 am 

I believe it could be done automatically as eBay has the API this is quite advanced now. Also, a lot of scrapper tools exist. I mean it should not be too difficult to figure out how to do that without going the whole nine yards. The forum plugin could check for a link to eBay auction and retrieve all necessary information. That would be useful as well for the the thread where we post interesting auctions, it would enhance it greatly, with all those pictures. Also, he plugin could normalize the eBay link and make it short and succinct.

The same plugin could be used for the price tracking system. So it's not really single-use after all.

The question as always is who will do it? 8-) I don't think I have time for that, sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:00 pm 

Thanks for giving us hopes, Aleksey!