Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Database Improvements
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:43 pm 

Sandy,

I finally had a chance to go over the database. Here are my recommendations.

1) Create a new category called PATTERN MATCHING in line with the definition of the Puzzle Museum. It also is a good description.

The following puzzles currently in the database belog here (you can check for yourself):
from Odd shapes
- Bognar Golyok
- Bolygok
- Circus Puzzler
- Circus Seven
- Color Matcher
- Combinescion - Champ (enigma)
- Combinescion - The Flash
- Enigma - Cameo
- Enigma - Microsoft Office
- Enigma - Vistakon
- Lockout (aka Puzzle Lock)
- Octacube
- Rubik's Rabbit (aka: Rubik's Hat)
- Trapagon

from 6 Sided
- Colour Domino Cube Puzzle
- Rubik's Dice
- Snake Domino
- Turn 12 - Baby Turn
- Turn 12 - Kiddy Turn
- Turn 12 - Profi Turn

from 12 Sided
- Mobius The red version
- Mobius The blue version

from 14Sided
- Hot Rocks a.k.a. Tantrix

from Unidentified
- Dodecahedron

2) Rename the category currently named Pannel with the more appropriate name Folding - The snake, Kibble and some others there are not really Pannels. This is also in line with the definition of the Puzzle Museum.

The following puzzles currently in the database belong to the FOLDING catgory
from 6 Sided
- Inca Mini
- Inca Version A
- Inca Version B
- Rubik's Maze

3) The following puzzles in the Moving Hole category probably should be in the MOVING: BEADS/BALLS/MARBLES because that's what they are
- Back-Spin (It's clone the Magic Dish puzzle is currently in Beads/Balls/Marbles, at the very least they should be in the same catgory )
- Russian Rotation Puzzle
- Touchdown
- Touchdown - Special Limited Edition
- Tower

4) The following puzzles probably should be moved too:
- Octo Puzzle - from Beads/Ball/Marbles to Odd Shapes - I have one and there are no beads/ball/marbles. It is more like a Tricky Disky or Smart Alex.
- Be My Valentine Mug from Odd Shappes to Moving Hole - like all the other mugs
- Rack 'Em Up from Beads/Ball/Marbles to Moving Hole - I have one. Not really marbles. You should also add the subtitle to the current version Milton Bradley since there is another one that says Tomy instead

Nitpicking but I think valid and the changes will make the database more consistent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:31 am 

These are all excellent suggestions. I'm definitely going to apply all of these suggestions within the next few days.

Point #3 does bring up an issue, however. The more categories I add that aren't defined by shape, the more puzzles there will be that fit into more than one category. All of the "Hole" examples that you've suggested be moved to "Beads/Balls" fit in both categories since they all contain moving balls which require a hole to move them around. Another perfect example of a crossover is the Orb-It. Both a "Sphere" and a "Beads" puzzle.

I have been trying to follow an informal guideline when making decisions like this, although I don't always remember to apply it at the right time. If there is no obvious "group" of similar crossover puzzles already in one of the categories, I generally just put it in the least populated category. I realize this is rather arbitrary, but if anyone can suggest a clear cut set of guidelines, I should would like to read them! I guess I need a classification flow-chart to keep it straight!

Anyway, the changes you've suggested in point #3 are consistent with my arbitrary guideline anyhow, so I'm definitely going to move them regardless of the crossover issue.

Thanks for all the hard work, Oscar! Your suggestions are going to clean things up quite a bit.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:39 am 

Quote:
Point #3 does bring up an issue, however. The more categories I add that aren't defined by shape, the more puzzles there will be that fit into more than one category. All of the "Hole" examples that you've suggested be moved to "Beads/Balls" fit in both categories since they all contain moving balls which require a hole to move them around. Another perfect example of a crossover is the Orb-It. Both a "Sphere" and a "Beads" puzzle.

Before the suggestion, I tried to think about the cross-over issue. Appart from the Orb-It, there are other marble/ball puzzles that I did not suggest moving because they appear to be fine where they are.

I used the principle of similarity (what is already in a category).For instance, there is no choice with the Back-Spin, it should be with the Magic Dish. Eventhough the Tower is like a missing link, it is more similar to the Tower of Babylon, Smarties and Wooden Egg. The Russian rotation just seemed to be out of place. Touchdown is more unclear, they can be in either category and would not have suggested to move them if they were the only ones.

Again, this does not need to be perfect. So don't sweat it when you clasify new puzzles. If it makes sense to you, it will probably make sense to us. More important, if someone notices that a puzzle and its clone are in different categories they should let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:11 am 

All done! Thanks again, Oscar.

Sandy

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]