Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sort the Memberlist?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:01 pm 

I see the Memberlist has grown to another page. As this list continues to grow, how about a way to sort it. Alphabetically by member name (many people are just using 1st name, nicknames, etc), sort by posts (nice to group the larger contributors together) and maybe those with websites. (although not all websites are puzzle related).

Just a thought.

Sandy, I see that you have been a member since summer of 03. You did a good job of keeping all this a secret for the past 7 months. Wayne too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 2:08 am 

Heh, I joined in November or something before that, but he deleted my account. This forum has been here for quite some time, just under construction.

As for sorting the list, it should have been included with phpBB, which is what I believe he's using.

http://www.phpBB.com

Check it out, Sandy, if you need to borrow code.

See? It's not so hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:32 pm 

This is my favourite type of "fix"... it's already there! Check the footer of the table of any of the member list pages. There is a "Select sort method" option there which allows all the methods you've requested and a bunch more.

And, yes, it was difficult to keep everything secret for so long, but then again, there was a lot of work that needed to be done before things were working. It's no fun giving a sneak preview of a new feature when it's not working very well, so I guess that helped keep things quiet.

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:24 pm 

Interesting that it's at the bottom, since the newer version of phpBB I'm using puts the option at the top, where people notice it better. Is it possible to move it? It's somewhat aggrevating to have to scroll all the way down just to sort. It's not that big a deal, though.

This also brings up another question. It says that the site is developed and maintained by "www.Prevalence.com" yet I thought it was you. Are they taking undue credit? You can remove that you know. I did a similar thing to my message board.

See? It's not so hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 3:33 pm 

Prevalence was my interactive application development company before the market got so crappy and forced me to get a real job. I'm not sure why I put that in the footer, since I'm not really accepting contracts right now, but that link does generate a surprising number of clicks.

Since this is the most recent official release of PHPBB, it is at worst the same version you have used. The only difference is that it has been visually customized quite a bit to match the TwistyPuzzles.com design, as you can tell. It also contains numerous code modifications that will make it hard to upgrade in the future, but those were all done to add features, not remove them.

I've placed a copy of the sort features at the top of the list, and left them at the bottom. Use the one you want!

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:55 pm 

Yay, now I can be more lazy :wink:

See? It's not so hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:36 pm 

Actually...the one at the top doesn't work. I'm not sure why, but haven't really looked into the reason.

See? It's not so hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:13 am 

Trevor Sayre wrote:
Actually...the one at the top doesn't work.

Oops. You know you're a lazy programmer when you just assume your code works so you don't bother to test it.

Working now... and tested too!

Sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 12:04 am 

Thank you so much!

See? It's not so hard.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]