Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Could first names be added to profile?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:52 pm 

I interact with enough of you that I frequently get Real Names and Twisty Puzzle ID's mixed up. It can get even more complicated when I also email you and your real name and twisty puzzle ID are both different from your email address. Not wanting to address the email issue here but I got to thinking.

Under my avatar picture to the left there is a Joined field and a Location field (just noticed my location field is a year and a half out of date). Anyways what about adding a first name field? Some people like Oskar make it easy using their first name as their ID but many of the rest of us... myself included... use an ID that doesn't contain their name. I prefer to be addressed as Carl if someone is talking/typing to me and I try to sign my posts as such but many here don't. And there are threads where someone says see David's post above for example and unless you know David's ID it can be hard to follow or know who is talking about who.

Anyways... just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

Carl

Post subject: Re: Could first names be added to profile?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:09 am 

I will gladly do that myself. I also guess that many puzzlers here would prefer this
feature to be non-compulsory (which is ok).

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

Post subject: Re: Could first names be added to profile?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:44 am 

Although I sometimes sign private messages and all emails with my real name, AJ (Alfred J), I generally prefer not to use it publicly in internet forums. I have no problem going by "Stardust" or "Stardust4ever". I think it it a good idea, but it needs to be kept totally optional, as I would prefer to keep the field blank. I would hate to log on one day and find my full legal name displayed on my profile page.

One of the primary reasons I am not a member of Facebook is that I disagree with their privacy policy which treats your legal name is public information, and it is a violation of TOS to register an account with a fake name or alias.