Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Elastic width
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:03 am 

All my screens as widescreen with large resolution, even the notebook has 1680x1050 resolution. I liked it much more when the site and the forum were able to adjust to the screen resolution. Now there is a feeling that I'm boxed into the center of the screen, kind of claustrophobic feeling. :oops: So if it's possible I would appreciate an elastic site behavior. I guess that should be regulated with the right CSS code.

Post subject: Re: Elastic width
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:17 am 

I second this suggestion. The forums seem awfully cramped with the narrower layout, especially on threads with lots of pictures.

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:26 am 

I also have a screen resolution of 1680*1050 and agree, it is very narrow and uncomfortable like this.

Though i think this has to do with the sideboxes, it wasnt this narrow before.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:32 pm 

Thanks very much for your hard work redesigning the site, Sandy. Although I like the new style overall, I strongly agree with the above comments. I'm guessing that your resizeFrame function sets a maximum width of 1000 pixels? If you could adjust that to 90-95% of the window width for windows >1000 pixels wide, it would be great.

The combination of the overall narrower frame, AND the sidebox space, AND the change to Verdana (probably the fattest font in common use on the web) is a triple whammy! In my opinion, any part of a post written in itemised style, such as an outline of how to build or solve a puzzle, dramatically loses its readability when (normally) simple, single line statements constantly get scrunched onto two lines.

But of course the important news is that our community's medium of exchange is back in business -- yeehaa! :D Thanks again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:33 am 

It seems that the bug has been fixed so that the content appears on the left under the main menue in Safari now, but I agree it would be better to adjust width automatically to fit screen. I view the forum mostly on iPhone and with the new site format I now have to zoom in/out and move the page around manually. Just a minor point, but it's difficult to accept this when the elastic width worked so well for me with the original site...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:18 am 

Fixed. The forum now stretches from a comfortable minimum of about 1000 pixels to the full width of your browser window with the exception of the "sidebox" area. That is being reserved for content which I'll be adding later today.

Kelvin Stott wrote:
It seems that the bug has been fixed so that the content appears on the left under the main menue in Safari now, but I agree it would be better to adjust width automatically to fit screen.

The forum is now adjusting automatically. Are you referring to the rest of the site?

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:15 am 

I was referring to just the forum, but I now understand that the total adjustable width includes some space that you will fill with other stuff. Looking forward to that...