Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: a couple mistakes in the site and a few questions...
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:31 pm 

I have already noticed two mistakes on this site...
1.) When you first sign up, you receive an e-mail telling you that an Administrator has to approve your account, and that after that has happened, you will receive (another) e-mail. I never got a second e-mail telling me that my account had been approved by an Administrator.
2.) There is no "Introductions" section, i had to post my introduction in the "Off Topic" instead. I am also wondering if HTML (and/or) CSS (and/or) JavaScript work on this site? (just a little side-note: I'm pretty sure that this site was originally made from forumotion.com, please correct me if I'm wrong because I am an Administrator on two of those already, and i might be able to help some if it was/is.)

Post subject: Re: a couple mistakes in the site and a few questions...
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:22 pm 

I can't confirm for no.1, but as for no.2, if HTML, CSS & javascript were not used on this site, it wouldn't exist. And that applies for any website. I suggest learning a thing or two before you make naive assumptions.

As for introductions, there is the "Who's Who" thread (as pointed out by tyler in your thread). You shouldn't expect this to be a very "social" forum, if you catch my drift. Please try your hardest to stay on point, and not make redundant posts.

Good job on the spelling & grammar though, that's usually one of the bigger new-member problems.

*EDIT* Forgot to mention - this forum was made with PHPBB3, as you can see on the bottom of every single page.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:39 pm 

Okay, and about number two again, on some forum websites, the Administrator IS allowed to disable HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc. that's why I was asking. Also, as for the spelling/grammar, I've always been like that, almost never said "u" in place of "you" (you know, stuff like that, I'm normally VERY formal, and like to keep things in their place, that's why I asked about an Introductions section in the first place ;) ) (Staying on the spelling/grammar topic...) I am Administrator on two+ websites, so I HAVE to be like that, and it's hard for me to stop (my Administrator job) sometimes...

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:48 pm 

Ah, I thought you were talking about what the site is 'made' of. All codetypes are disabled, excluding BBcode (I believe that is the term) as far as I know.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:13 am 

Yeah, it's BBCode. tags in brackets.

I also never got the second email. It was a whole month before I found out I already had an account.

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:29 am 

It was two days for me, either they need to change the e-mail message, or just let us verify our account with that e-mail.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:41 am 

For an administrator of two forums you know surprisingly little about signature length etiquette. Just a suggestion: we don't care about a distracting annoying yellow dancing banana or whatever your 'color' is as determined by a 5 second test.

Just a question, why would you even want to use HTML or JavaScript in posts? HTML won't add anything to this forum as the only things it can do that BBCodes can't are creating marquees and other annoying things. As for JavaScript, same thing. And consider the security risk of JS.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:54 am 

TomZ wrote:
For an administrator of two forums you know surprisingly little about signature length etiquette. Just a suggestion: we don't care about a distracting annoying yellow dancing banana or whatever your 'color' is as determined by a 5 second test.

I agree wholeheartedly.

It is not too uncommon having people coming over from other forums, where things are much less....strict.

And for some reason, I feel offended when people from other forums say things need changing, just because they are used to a different forum.

Cap-hits, not Cafits

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:22 am 

You obviously haven't used many forums/BBSes. Every single one is run differently; there is usually some overlap, but in most cases it's incidental.

Examples:
Comparing just this forum and the other one I visit regularly; this one has a codified set of rules, and expects you to know and follow them. The other one has no formal rules, and has only a standing request that you follow Wil Wheaton's advice: "Don't be a dick."

As far as introductions go, some forums have intro threads, some have sections, and some don't care at all that you're new. There is one board in particular that I frequented in high school that had a sandbox section, in order to mitigate the damage that a bad n00b could cause to the community. In order to acces and use other parts of the board, a new user had to introduce himself, actively participate and contribe in the sandbox area, and be sponsored by a full member of the board as a whole. This made for a very tight-knit community, even though it was relatively large.

The ultimate rule is basicly, lurk for a while, learn how things are done, and then (and only then) start using the forum. If you have a problem at that point with how things are run, you probably shouldn't continue using the board.

In short, coming on and telling people thay're doing it wrong because they're not doing it the way you want it to be done falls well within the realm of "being a dick." Making a suggestion to a moderator or an administrator via PM would be more productive, and not make you look inexperienced at "the internet."

-Tim

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:04 pm 

California wrote:
I have already noticed two mistakes on this site...
1.) When you first sign up, you receive an e-mail telling you that an Administrator has to approve your account, and that after that has happened, you will receive (another) e-mail. I never got a second e-mail telling me that my account had been approved by an Administrator.
2.) There is no "Introductions" section, i had to post my introduction in the "Off Topic" instead. I am also wondering if HTML (and/or) CSS (and/or) JavaScript work on this site? (just a little side-note: I'm pretty sure that this site was originally made from forumotion.com, please correct me if I'm wrong because I am an Administrator on two of those already, and i might be able to help some if it was/is.)

As "introductions" was covered (the Who's who) thread, I'll cover 1.

You didn't get a second email... you should have. A glitch on the world wide web. A second email does indeed go out, which is how new members know they're right to go! Why you didn't get it is anyone's guess from a junk mail filter, routing destination died or one of the many thousand of reasons why an email doesn't arrive.

The real question is, did you see the same cat or one just like it?

We weren't made from forumotion.com I don't believe. forumotion.com is based on phpbb, as we are.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:40 pm 

Caphits wrote:
TomZ wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly.

Ditto!
sausage wrote:
The real question is, did you see the same cat or one just like it?

I love that movie! :D

tamaness wrote:
In order to access and use other parts of the board, a new user had to introduce himself, actively participate and contribute in the sandbox area, and be sponsored by a full member of the board as a whole.

I really like the 'sandbox' idea. Wayne, have you or Sandy ever considered something like this?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:52 pm 

Calzone wrote:
I really like the 'sandbox' idea. Wayne, have you or Sandy ever considered something like this?

There are settings for that, but to have it apply to everyone probably might not work. For example, having someone who has been collecting privately for 20 years, I wouldn't be to inclined to have someone "perform" tasks in order to be allowed in the main arena.

It's hard enough for people to have their application accepted in the first place. They have to show they meet criteria. Interestingly, the majority of applications fail simply because of the failure to follow the instructions on the sign up form itself (though consideration is given if it is clear they suit our community).

Answering forum questions with things like "gimme an account", makes the decision (no) pretty easy. But we get a lot of very interesting and forthcoming people sign up, and at that point they can enter into the regular conversations like anyone else.

All that being said, one day we very well might have to go down this track.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:38 am 

sausage wrote:
It's hard enough for people to have their application accepted in the first place. They have to show they meet criteria.

I remember having to google a rainbow cube to figure out how many sides it had. :)