Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Prince of Persia Potion Puzzles
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:27 pm 

Do you remember Jordan Mechner's original Prince of Persia game from 1989?

In 2005 I made a replacement set of game levels that incorporated 14 novel puzzles. Each level contains a bottle of "life potion" and the player has to solve a unique puzzle to obtain each one, hence I called it Prince of Persia Potion Puzzles.

The puzzle levels can be downloaded from my web page here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~tacosalad/prince/

A fully working copy of the game can be downloaded from that page, in case you don't already have it. Don't worry, it's not warez. Prince of Persia 1.0 entered the realm of abandonware many years ago, and the Princed Community has formed to distribute copies and promote the creation of game mods for it. Jordan Mechner has even published the original source code.

You can run the game under DOSBox, an MS-DOS emulator that enables to to run old PC games under Windows, Mac, Linux, and a variety of other platforms.

It's not a twisty puzzle, but I raise this topic because it's likely to be of general interest to puzzle enthusiasts.

• Those of you who remember the original Prince of Persia from 1989 might enjoy playing it again and trying to solve my puzzles. If so, visit my Potion Puzzles web page and give it a try!
  • The Princed Community Forum has organized a Prince of Persia modding contest explained here to generate publicity and promote the creation of new mods. They included my Potion Puzzles along with five other interesting mods. I'd encourage you to download some of those other mods, try them out, and make comments in their forum or vote for your favorite!
  • Twisty Puzzles members are very creative, so I also encourage you to learn about Prince of Persia level editors and make your own mod! Devise new puzzles and enter their next contest!
  • Even if you don't play my mod, if you are a fan of any current or past Prince of Persia game variant, I encourage you to explore the Princed Community forum, register, and get involved. Puzzle fans should appreciate its puzzle-oriented gameplay.

Here are some examples of the puzzle-challenges in Prince of Persia Potion Puzzles...

Level 2 "Elementary Exercise": The challenge is to get the Life Potion, the larger jug at lower right. But if you step on the loose floor panel, it will fall and destroy the potion--thereby preventing you from getting it. If you try to leap over the loose floor panel you will probably fall through the gap to your death! It looks simple, but it requires a bit of ingenuity.
Attachment:
File comment: Level 2: "Elementary Exercise"
image005.jpg
image005.jpg [ 28.77 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]

Level 5 "Long Distance Operator": That Life Potion jar is just barely out of reach! No matter how hard you leap, or where you jump from, your character persistently misses it and falls painfully to the floor below. Finding the solution depends on ingenuity, but you'll benefit if you have past experience with Prince of Persia.
Attachment:
File comment: Level 5: Long Distance Operator
image011.jpg
image011.jpg [ 51.1 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]

Level 7 "Dangling over Doom": It's obvious you'll have to drop straight down to get the Life Potion, but lethal spikes seem to pop up in your path. Even if you reached the potion, there's another set of lethal spikes blocking your exit!
Attachment:
File comment: Level 7: Dangling Over Doom
image015.jpg
image015.jpg [ 61.1 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]

Level 9 "The Trap": It's trivial to reach the Life Potion here--just walk right in! But how can you leave without stepping on the switch that slams the gate shut?
Attachment:
File comment: Level 9: The Trap
image019.jpg
image019.jpg [ 30.73 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]

Level 12 "Just Out Of Reach": Again a Life Potion is located just beyond the reach of your longest leap, but the solution to this puzzle involves a unexpectedly wacky surprise that even experienced Prince of Persia fans have never seen! Luckily, you don't need to be an experienced player to discover it--a little creative exploration will suffice!
Attachment:
File comment: Level 12: Just Out Of Reach
image025.jpg
image025.jpg [ 18.17 KiB | Viewed 1272 times ]

Intrigued yet? Download the puzzles and start solving!Image

Post subject: Re: Prince of Persia Potion Puzzles
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:00 pm 

Oh my gosh! This is amazing! +1000 respect points haha. If only I could add my various subpar text adventures to it as well :wink:

Post subject: Re: Prince of Persia Potion Puzzles
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:46 am 

I remember that game fondly.

Nice to see it have a continued life.

Dave