Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hanayama Cast Puzzles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:45 pm 

I know that they aren't twisty puzzles but I like them almost as much. They are very high quality at affordable prices (about $10 each). I love the variety of puzzle types represented here by them. There are various types of disentanglement, disassembly, maze, hidden mechanism, etc. Classic and new designs are well represented from many designers. New ones have been coming out every so often. I believe that I have them all, 51 puzzles so far. If I'm missing any please let me know.
Attachment:
hanayama.jpg
hanayama.jpg [ 147.78 KiB | Viewed 5873 times ]

Starting at the top row and going left to right, row by row (yes, I know that they officially have "Cast" as part of their names, I just didn't feel like typing it 50 more times):
Flag, H&H, Cricket, Nutcase, Marble, Cage, Radix, O'Gear, Cuby, Equa, Star, Baroq, Hook, Reef, Chain, Keyring, Dolce, Horse, Helix, Plate, L'Oeuf, Heart, Violon, Key, Enigma, Bike, Devil, Ring, Sea Bream, Star Fish, W-U, Quartet, Coaster, Claw, Disk, Square, Ring II, Elk, Duet, Loop, Shark, Vortex, A.B.C, Sea Horse, Laby, Medal, NEWS, Key II, S&S, Spiral, Amour

My favorites are NEWS, Laby, Spiral, Loop, Nutcase, and Marble.

Post subject: Re: Hanayama Cast Puzzles
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 pm 

If you want a list of all of them, go to www.castpuzzle.net - the Japanese site is up to date and has them all listed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:48 pm 

I love these puzzles :)
They provide a challenge more similar to twisty puzzles than most wire puzzles, and it can actually help for many if you wait and look at them for a while.
Very nice collection!
I see you have the chain, which I believe is by Oscar (?). I still haven't figured out how to switch the order off those, and just do that by luck :lol: The final part is easy, but that part's hard!

I have the marble, the radix, the keyring, the chain, and the ring 2.
I've also played with and solved the horse, cage, dolce, devil, loeuf, amore, duet, laby and elk.
Figured out them all by myself!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:15 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the Marble, it's one of my designs. Another one of mine, called the Cast Rattle, will be coming out in the future, and I'm working on some other designs which hopefully Hanayama will be interested in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:19 am 

Volitar Prime wrote:
I know that they aren't twisty puzzles but I like them almost as much. ...

I too like them very much and my favorites are the same as yours, except for the Laby (I don't have that one)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 am 

Bram wrote:
Volitar Prime wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the Marble, it's one of my designs. Another one of mine, called the Cast Rattle, will be coming out in the future, and I'm working on some other designs which hopefully Hanayama will be interested in.

That one took me a while me first time :)
I have to say, it is a very elegant design.

That's something else I love about those puzzles. They look very simple and elegant, but have complicated solutions

i'm not going to clog this up with questions, but I'll PM you, if you don't mind :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:27 am 

I think I've got most of them. Some I still haven't even gotten around to opening yet. I still haven't figured out the Enigma. That's got to be the toughest disentanglement I've encountered so far. They are wonderful puzzles and very high quality. Nice collection.

-d

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:03 am 

How do you solve the cast equa???? :evil: :evil:

:D Greg :D

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:44 am 

Hanayama puzzles are some of my favorites to bring to parties- they are nearly indestructible, and come in a range of difficulties, so you can hand out easier ones to non-puzzlers. They also feel very nice and (in most cases) don't look too scary because they only have a few pieces.

There are some fairly new Hanayama Disney variants (existing puzzles re-themed with Disney characters, sort of). The "Mickey and Minnie" keys are the nicest of these, in my opinion. They are similar to the existing key puzzles, but use the changed shape to extend the puzzle a bit. ThinkGeek has them here:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/geektoys/games/cf06/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:55 am 

I have Oskar's Lucky Clover. Isn't this one a Hanayama Cast puzzle too?

My Puzzle Collection

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:03 am 

Bram wrote:
Volitar Prime wrote:

Marble is the one I most interested in getting next, but they never have new ones at my Barnes & Nobel.

I have Baroq (My first one, one of my favorites), Elk, Nutcase (I love this one!), Enigma (this one is pure evil, I tell you. I got it apart and was afraid to lose a piece, so I looked up how to put it back together. It's still together, because I can't get it apart again!).

I also have Heart, but it's in a box. I got it for my girlfriend for valentine's day! :D

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:04 pm 

I only have the Cuby, which I am able to solve and have written a solution for (which I have at my other house).

I believe Oskar designed that one. Which other ones are designed by Oskar? (I am turning into a fan of his work more and more and more with every new puzzle he makes, but lots of these are cheap and easier to get. my local puzzle store arabesk (www.arabesk.nl) has a lot of them)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:15 pm 

Sjoerd wrote:
Which other ones are designed by Oskar?
See my web site. My wife Jose took the effort to develop my website and make these overviews. Her own website is in Dutch, where she is showing off some impressive HTML skills.

Oskar

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:34 am 

Hanayama puzzles are some of all time favourite puzzles. And I have a *lot* of puzzles!!!

;)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:38 pm 

Just bumping my old post to show that not only did I get the Cast Rattle when it came out shortly after I took my original picture but that I now also have the new Cast Coil. I'm now at 53 puzzles which I believe is all of them.

Attachments:
newhanayama.jpg
newhanayama.jpg [ 43.04 KiB | Viewed 4348 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:25 pm 

I really like the same puzzle Hanayama. I also put together 53 version and 4 different "Disney" series. Recently acquired long wanted trinkets Hanayama. Before they were sold in Japan, but they have not sold there. I saw 9 options 8 of which coasters I already have and one ABC coming soon. Who knows about this series of nasty, because I can't find the information on this series and was not sure in its entirety. We saw in Japan a new series of "Mini" size, which is similar to trinkets, but has no rings and is slightly different in shape to the standard options. In "Mini" series has several options in a series of coasters and a pair of new standard. But I'm not sure whether all the options seen. Buy it for me so far.

Attachments:
IMG_0640_crop.JPG
IMG_0640_crop.JPG [ 2.24 MiB | Viewed 4206 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:42 pm 

Now all unpacked.

Attachments:
IMG_0656_smal.JPG
IMG_0656_smal.JPG [ 1.39 MiB | Viewed 4096 times ]