Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Swing Lock Review
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:34 pm 

Hey!

This is my review of the newest trick lock from Splinter Spierenburgh. I present to you:

The Swing Lock!

Attachment:
Swing Lock 057.JPG
Swing Lock 057.JPG [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 490 times ]

Excuse my iPhone photography. This design is actually the second of two lock designs by Splinter, the first of which is posted here: http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25396

What makes this design exciting is that it is the first of his designs to be offered in a metal version. In this case, milled stainless steel. The puzzle arrives in a shiny, brushed condition and it has a nice weight to it, the weight one would expect for a sturdy trick lock. Included is a personalized instruction sheet laying out the ground rules of the puzzle, so don't even think of grabbing your screwdriver! The included key is also sturdy and complements the lock well. The puzzle weighs in at 625 grams and is 80 mm round by 22 mm high.

Size comparison:

Attachment:
Swing Lock 058.JPG
Swing Lock 058.JPG [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 490 times ]

I suppose it depends on how you count, but I would say the puzzle requires three steps to open and a set of three different steps to close. Like most other trick locks, one can open and close the lock in a matter of seconds once you know how. It took me about a half hour to fully devise the solution, but as with any puzzle, mileage will vary.

Once you've solved the puzzle, there are several bonus prizes available to you(!!!): You can email Splinter and he will send you a 14 page e-booklet of the creation history and various tid-bits and pictures of the puzzle. Additionally, you can use a screwdriver to remove the lid and view the internal mechanism. Splinter has included an internal viewing window to ensure the puzzle can be opened safely.

If you are a collector of trick locks, this is a must-have. I wouldn't say that it is on-par with the Popplocks or the Danlock, but as far as widely available trick locks go, this beats out all but the best (and it looks great on the shelf!)

I do have a pet-peeve regarding this lock, though I can't reveal it without spoiling part of the solve.

It is available here at Splinter's web-shop, along with a less-expensive plastic version, and other puzzles designed by Splinter: http://www.mfave.nl/en/webshop/puzzles-26

Misc:

Attachment:
Swing Lock 060.JPG
Swing Lock 060.JPG [ 1.99 MiB | Viewed 490 times ]

Attachment:
Swing Lock 059.JPG
Swing Lock 059.JPG [ 2.09 MiB | Viewed 490 times ]

Post subject: Re: Swing Lock Review
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:49 pm 

EMarx wrote:
Hey!
Attachment:
Swing Lock 059.JPG

Well, that's a nice storage space for a lock!
But you should beware that it is not coming off, and place a sign next to it 'don't bump the head' :lol:

Thanks for the review!
I think Gabriel and you are the first members here that have the Swing Lock in their collection.

If you want to read about how long it took since I first announced this new puzzle, and view a prototype, read here