Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: New sections in the database
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 pm 

Some of you might have seen this:
Attachment:
Unbenannt.png
Unbenannt.png [ 4.78 KiB | Viewed 1842 times ]

This doesn't mean that I don't sleep anymore.
This is the result of a recent change Sandy implemented.
Sandy added some new sections:
"Thirty sided"
"Other convex solids"
"cylinder"
"Moving Tiles"
Afterwards I moved everything fitting from "Odd shapes" to those categories. This explains the seemingly huge numbers.

Now I want to thank Sandy, have some sleep
and ask everyone to help me with the database by entering/editing some puzzles.

Andreas

Post subject: Re: New sections in the database
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:24 pm 

Andreas, thanks for the wonderful work.

I was just wondering would it be possible for anyone to upload all the images
of the puzzles I have sent, so that I can then edit them and place the appropriate
information. Apologies if I am missing something as I cannot upload photos myself.

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:10 am 

Only the museum moderators can upload images although anybody can edit and submit images.

The images you sent need little or no editing.
What I need for these puzzles are the "technical informations" and especially some descriptions.
Just enter these informations here
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle ... puzzleform
and I will do the rest.
If you want really good entries you should submit additional images. Usually I want to present
One image for the solved state
One image for the midturn state
One image for a scrambled state

When Wayne was the museum moderator several of my creations where added because I was the one who added them complete with edited images. Wayne just had to accept the addings.

Greetings
Andreas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:32 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Only the museum moderators can upload images although anybody can edit and submit images.

That makes more sense and it answers a question I had for a long time! :)

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
What I need for these puzzles are the "technical informations" and especially some descriptions.
Just enter these informations here
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle ... puzzleform
and I will do the rest.
If you want really good entries you should submit additional images. Usually I want to present
One image for the solved state
One image for the midturn state
One image for a scrambled state

While I agree that having as many images as possible is what everyone wants,
it actually deters many from doing it as it is regarded as "too much work at the same time".

For example, submitting images of 50 puzzles whose preparation takes a lot of time, is
something that is possible but tedious (I always prefer bulk-doing for efficiency). But by
asking 50x3 = 150 at once will not only delay the appearance of the puzzle itself for others
to see, it may stop it from reaching the museum indefinitely (I know some examples by others
and from personal experience). For me from example, it is impossible to prepare such extra
images right now, and I hope that I could do this in a few months. But then, anything can
happen to my personal status (including girlfriend/wife LOL) and/or the images.

I believe the "[one image] vs [no images]" case cannot possibly be compared to the
"[one image] vs [three images]" case. Remember, there are many factors which play a huge role
here, including puzzles being packed in boxes for years, individuals leaving the community for any
reason, and images being lost (from PC being changed or puzzle being lost - single photos would
rather stay in the WWW Twisty Puzzle servers than somewhere inaccessible by others).

After all, the Museum is by definition a "work in progress" project with new puzzles popping out
all the time. So having one image being done and the corresponding page in existence (even
without proper description) encourages its gradual completion with *all* three images in the future.

I wonder what is the public opinion about this, as submitting only one image has nothing really to
do with lowering the standards of the museum (that would be the case if there was no option at all
for future additions and edits).

Pantazis

PS. I could even propose an extra section of "Future puzzles", showing all those realistic (or not?)
renderings and/or drawings which are constructed, and those can only inspire and encourage many
builders to faster bringing them to reality!

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:29 am 

I wish there were an easy way to copy the contents of my entire Shapeways Shop into the Museum. All the info is just there. Two years ago, I started that work. But the awkward user interface, the impossibility to do a "save" halfway an entry and all this "do the pictures by email" fuss discouraged me from making any further museum efforts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:40 am 

Hmm... I was also hindered by the image-by-email thing.

Perhaps there should be a direct upload option available?

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:42 am 

@Pantazis:
There is no rule that you have to supply three images.
It is a guideline: When I dig out the threads for this puzzles and there are enough images I use one solved, one scrambled and one in midturn. If there are only images for the solved state than I will use only those.
The point with the descriptions still holds true since as big as my knowledge may be it is not as big as the inventors especially in case of magics. :cry:

Regarding the image-submissions:
Before I became moderator I have entered some puzzles the same way as everyone else. The difference between submission-by-email and submission-by-upload is at most a mere minute. That is just my perception.
Many contributors (for example Oskar) even do not need to submit images at all. A link to the original thread (or entry on shapeways or whereever images can be found) entered into the "comments"-field is sufficient.

Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:19 am 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
@Pantazis:
There is no rule that you have to supply three images.
It is a guideline: When I dig out the threads for this puzzles and there are enough images I use one solved, one scrambled and one in midturn. If there are only images for the solved state than I will use only those.
The point with the descriptions still holds true since as big as my knowledge may be it is not as big as the inventors especially in case of magics. :cry:

There is certainly no question that a huge effort has been done by many puzzlers in the past
and now, by you. I hope that myself (just like many other puzzlers here) can be worthy of helping
you appropriately to achieve a good rate of new puzzles entered. In the case of my own puzzles
(including the folding), I will try to add descriptions and to send new images!

And thanks for the clarification, appreciated!

Pantazis

PS. And I am sure we will meet *very* soon to discuss about magics! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:55 pm 

I've long-since planned to build a different system for site contributions which I believe adequately addresses all the issues raised in this post. I've been aware of them since I was adding a new museum entry every day a number of years ago.

There's an increasing possibility that I'm going to have a decent-sized block of available time this summer starting sometime in May. Keeping in mind my tendency to over-promise on such things, I won't make any promises. But if the time does open up, I am willing to make building this new system tops of my Twisty To Do list. Andreas' burst of energy for this project is something I'd really like to support as best I can!

Sandy