Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: DianSheng Stickerless 5x5x5
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:46 pm 

Well, it's not a new puzzle, but this came out recently and (besides being the first stickerless 5x5x5 to market) the mechanism is completely new! Not something I would have expected from DianSheng. :lol:

This site has pics of the mechanism. It seems to be a riff on the 4x4x4 ball core with some rotating bits in the ball itself.

Anyone have one of these?

Post subject: Re: DianSheng Stickerless 5x5x5
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:13 pm 

Thanks, that's an interesting mechanism plus some weird wellness Ball type stuff. The 5x5x5 is available at HKnowstore.

Attachments:
DS-5x5-19b.jpg
DS-5x5-19b.jpg [ 197.06 KiB | Viewed 1257 times ]
DS-5x5-01b.jpg
DS-5x5-01b.jpg [ 237.87 KiB | Viewed 1260 times ]

Last edited by Tony Fisher on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:22 pm 

Weird mechanism indeed.

Check out my Shapeways shop!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:38 pm 

I was meaning to post this thread about a week ago, but I started school again and didn't make time to do it. The mech is indeed interesting. And While this be a ball, it's like a cross cube in a way. So that makes me then think of how they made this core. And then comes the actual movement, which appears to be good in a demonstration, but may feel quite different. (I actually notified Calivn that he used the Stickerless 4x4 mech as the 5x5 mech in his shop :lol: ) And on another note, their 4x4 uses the Rubik's ball core style. Although I don't promote KO products, but why this choice? I can think of multiple reasons to choose this mech, like costs, how easy it is, etc. But there are much better mechs that are present, so I ask if it was because the Patent expired, or to sell it cheap or what. Although I do like the stickerless effect of it, I wouldn't buy it because of the ball core. (or at all, unless it was a completely new mech. Not a V-cube style with changes. A whole new one.)

I'd like to know how well it turns in person, and how well the 5x5 performs in solves. (even though it's not competition legal)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:01 pm 

It looks like you could make a circle 5x5x5 using this puzzle, since there is an inner circle that doesn't move with the outer layers and only the inner ones. I might try it :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:45 am 

Regarding the 4x4 using a ball core - I don't think this counts as a KO for the same reason 3x3 cubes and Megaminxes aren't KO but I could be wrong. Dave?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:08 am 

Jared wrote:
Regarding the 4x4 using a ball core - I don't think this counts as a KO for the same reason 3x3 cubes and Megaminxes aren't KO but I could be wrong. Dave?
Correct, ball core 4x4x4s are not considered KO and there are a number now that use the basic Peter Sebesteny mechanism which is out of patent.

When NXTgen first asked regarding posting about this puzzle (good TP form, by the way, to ask first) the pictures I saw seemed to have the very distinct conical cuts of a Verdes design, even if the core/centers were different.

I can still see some conical cuts, but many cuts are also cylindrical, and in these more recent pictures the design seems less and less Verdes influenced. So although I was conservative and leaned towards KO in my PM back to NXTgen (he therefore didn't post), I am now a bit less sure.

I think I would like to discuss the matter a bit more with mods and other related parties. I will leave this up for the moment but based on eventual resolution and designation it may have to have some edits.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:33 pm 

Sorry Dave. I had PM'd Rox about it asking her if she knew anything, but she didn't have any info and didn't reply after I sent her the link. So I figured it wouldn't be a problem to post about. In the future I'll ask you instead.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:51 pm 

Jared wrote:
Sorry Dave. I had PM'd Rox about it asking her if she knew anything, but she didn't have any info and didn't reply after I sent her the link. So I figured it wouldn't be a problem to post about. In the future I'll ask you instead.
Feel free to add all the admin/moderators just in case. As it happens Rox is very busy with school at the moment so she happened to be the slowest likely to respond this time.
But a great part about having multiple moderators is when one is busy, the others can fill in.
We are at your service!

Dave