Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: mf8 Puzzle - Curvy Copter III
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:14 am 

Curvy Copter III by mf8

Attachment:
101.jpg
101.jpg [ 68.47 KiB | Viewed 2785 times ]

Attachment:
102.jpg
102.jpg [ 64.37 KiB | Viewed 2785 times ]

Attachment:
103.jpg
103.jpg [ 69.07 KiB | Viewed 2785 times ]

Attachment:
104.jpg
104.jpg [ 63.79 KiB | Viewed 2785 times ]

Attachment:
105.jpg
105.jpg [ 73.9 KiB | Viewed 2785 times ]

Attachment:
106.jpg
106.jpg [ 66.73 KiB | Viewed 2785 times ]

Post subject: Re: mf8 Puzzle - Curvy Copter III
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:15 am 

Wow.. :o wonderful! Thank you :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:30 am 

Wow! Very beautiful. Was not expecting this!

So let's see. It has all the same pieces as TomZ's Curvy Copter II, though in different shapes on the pedals and corners. Plus it has visible edge centers now. I think that would make it easier to solve than the Curvy Copter II. But hey - I'll take it! The Curvy Copter II hasn't been available on Shapeways for a long time, so I never thought I'd get to own it. This is a good compromise :)

Crazy2Face & Crazy3Face Puzzle Spreadsheet
Named 3x3x3 Bandaging Patterns

Last edited by themathkid on Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:36 am 

Great! I've always wanted a curvy copter II-like puzzle. Hopefully this will be for sale soon! :D

EDIT: After looking at this I just realized the Master Little Chop could be built up from this puzzle. So in theory, it could be mass produced!

Last edited by benpuzzles on Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:41 am 

Mf8 you are amazing! If all puzzles come out soon I will be getting them for hanuka! ( curvy copter 3, suncube 1 and 2, master penstultimate... So many amazing puzzles!!! Yay :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:47 am 

I was not expecting this! This looks injection molded, so it will hopefully be out soon! I can't wait! I just love edge-turning puzzles! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:49 am 

themathkid wrote:
It has all the same pieces as TomZ's Curvy Copter II, though in different shapes on the pedals and corners. Plus is has visible edge centers now. I think that would make it easier to solve than the Curvy Copter II.

Yeah those edges allow you to avoid a rather nasty parity situation. It's good to see this puzzle. From the photo, either the sticker gaps are smaller than on typical puzzles or the whole cube is bigger than "standard size".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:05 pm 

Nice. I'm glad to see this myself.
themathkid wrote:
The Curvy Copter II hasn't been available on Shapeways for a long time, so I never thought I'd get to own it.
Odd... I hadn't noticed that till you pointed it out. I'm curious why it was taken down.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:07 pm 

I prefer the hexahedron puzzles :wink: mr mf8 , better than the dodecahedrons :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:49 pm 

Amazing !! I really want one for my colection! :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:17 pm 

Awesome! :D Can't wait to get one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:52 pm 

I love the big stickers they chose! Less black and more colour!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:29 pm 

Wonderful looking puzzle, all those extra pieces compared to curvy copter, should be quite a challenge!

Latest videos: Unboxing / Review of Curvy copter Plus, David Gear Cube, Octo-star Cube

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:58 pm 

Location: In my study drooling over my puzzle hoard - Precioussssss!
Thank you thank you thank you! I love the edge turners and I can't wait for this to come out!

Brilliant!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:47 pm 

I will DEFINITELY be buying this puzzle. The Curvy Copter is my favorite puzzle of all time, out of the (lowly) 20 I own. Does anybody know if Gelatinbrains has an equivalent solved puzzle? Other than the jumbling of course.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:04 pm 

TheCubingKyle wrote:
I will DEFINITELY be buying this puzzle. The Curvy Copter is my favorite puzzle of all time, out of the (lowly) 20 I own. Does anybody know if Gelatinbrains has an equivalent solved puzzle? Other than the jumbling of course.

Gelatinbrain 3.3.20 is the equivalent of this puzzle.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:16 pm 

benpuzzles wrote:
Gelatinbrain 3.3.20 is the equivalent of this puzzle.

Ha, wonder how I missed that while looking for it! thanks though, I do believe I've worked out how to deal with the centers and center-edges!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:16 pm 

Nice puzzle! I like Curvy Copter much coz it has a very good looking outlook. This one seems nice too!

It seems the main difference between curvy copter & this one is there'll be center pieces in this curvy copter III puzzle. So the hardest part for me is to solve this piece. Let's see......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:42 pm 

Anyone know if TomZ was involved in the development of this particular puzzle? They appear to be using his naming scheme and I'm sure Tom's earlier puzzle certainly inspired this one if nothing else.

Just curious,
Carl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:43 pm 

otischeng wrote:
It seems the main difference between curvy copter & this one is there'll be center pieces in this curvy copter III puzzle. So the hardest part for me is to solve this piece. Let's see......
The inclusion of the edge-centers actually removes a parity issue with the face-center squares which should make this version slightly easier.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Anyone know if TomZ was involved in the development of this particular puzzle? They appear to be using his naming scheme and I'm sure Tom's earlier puzzle certainly inspired this one if nothing else.

Just curious,
Carl
I can't see Tom's name on it, and they haven't made a point of mentioning it. It'd be a shame to see that a slight alteration was used to `get around` a designer's intellectual property. Maybe Tom can shed some light on whether he was consulted? Perhaps there was collaboration, and that might be why he removed the CC2 from his SW shop?

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:08 am 

Woow. Beautiful.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:33 am 

Burgo wrote:
wwwmwww wrote:

Just curious,
Carl
I can't see Tom's name on it, and they haven't made a point of mentioning it. It'd be a shame to see that a slight alteration was used to `get around` a designer's intellectual property. Maybe Tom can shed some light on whether he was consulted? Perhaps there was collaboration, and that might be why he removed the CC2 from his SW shop?

1. We havn't studied Tom's Curvy Copter II, the Curvy Copter III is using the same core as we used on 24cube, which is designed by ourselves.

2. Tom did not open the inner structure to the public in his post. (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17581)

3. According to your logic, could you please explain the relationship between these two cubes?
Attachment:
00.jpg
00.jpg [ 34.94 KiB | Viewed 2213 times ]

4. The reason we name the cube after "Curvy Copter" is out of respect for TomZ.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:24 pm 

I don't think Tom needs to be mentioned or involved in this case since it's a different puzzle from his Curvy Copter II.
Calling it Curvy Copter III is not bad.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:54 pm 

MF8 wrote:
1. We havn't studied Tom's Curvy Copter II, the Curvy Copter III is using the same core as we used on 24cube, which is designed by ourselves.
Thanks. I wasn't meaning to imply any sort of accusation. I really was just curious if TomZ was directly involved. Clearly he was at least part of the inspiration and you've acknowledged that respect in the naming.
MF8 wrote:
2. Tom did not open the inner structure to the public in his post. (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17581)
Understood. My intent wasn't to put you on the defensive.
MF8 wrote:
3. According to your logic, could you please explain the relationship between these two cubes?
Not certain what is meant by "your logic". I would say these two puzzles are both shallow edge turning cubes. One has the edge-center exposed and the other does not. Neither exposes the core. So both are closely related and solving should be essentially identical. However I suspect your question is aimed at who has the ownership or right to claim them as their design? If so I'd point you to the museum as I wouldn't want to misstate something.
CURVY COPTER
HELICOPTER CUBE (AKA BEVEL CUBE)
MF8 wrote:
I suspect that is appreciated. I certainly can't speak for TomZ so I'll let him speak for himself if he wants to. I see he's been online so I suspect that he has seen this thread.
alaskajoe wrote:
I don't think Tom needs to be mentioned or involved in this case since it's a different puzzle from his Curvy Copter II.
Calling it Curvy Copter III is not bad.
I personally tend to agree. If the site or TomZ feel differently I hope they would say something. Its certainly possible they have more information then we do, so I'll assume everyone is happy until I'm told different.

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:11 pm 

If anything, given that the actual Curvy Copter II is deeper cut than this, this is the true Curvy Copter II.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:51 pm 

Crazy56U wrote:
If anything, given that the actual Curvy Copter II is deeper cut than this, this is the true Curvy Copter II.
I'm ok with the naming as is. You just need to think of it as a temporal sequence and not a depth sequence. Besides... depth and degree of curvature become interrelated to some extent on these puzzles. Ask yourself which is deeper... the Curvy Copter III or the normal Helicopter Cube? The Helicopter cube is deep enough to hide the central edge... the Curvy Copter III is not. But the Curvy Copter III is deep enough to contain a few extra pieces not found in a normal Helicopter Cube. I'm not sure the depth of a particular cut, particularly when that cut isn't planar, has been defined well enough to cover all these cases.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:18 pm 

Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if Curvy Copter and Curvy Copter II are TomZ's names, shouldn't he be consulted before someone else claims the name Curvy Copter III?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm 

bhearn wrote:
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but if Curvy Copter and Curvy Copter II are TomZ's names, shouldn't he be consulted before someone else claims the name Curvy Copter III?
I don't think we can say for certain that he hasn't been. MF8's stated intent was to convey respect and I have no reason to doubt that. Looking at TomZ's profile I see he's logged into the forums for the last two days. I checked yesterday as well as I was tempted to PM him about this thread as I assumed he'd want to see it. I haven't yet PM'ed him as I assume he's already seen it. If he objects to anything here I would expect him to post. I generally assume no news is good news... at least that is the way I was brought up. In short, I have no idea what is going on behind the scenes and I'm going to assume all is fine until I have reason to believe otherwise.

If TomZ does object to the name then I would imagine MF8 would be willing to change it. I don't believe its available yet so I doubt its too late.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:02 pm 

MF8 wrote:

2. Tom did not open the inner structure to the public in his post. (http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=17581)

Thankyou for your response. I agree with you. A more curved cut reveals new piece types and a new puzzle exists, just like Tom has done to Adam's prior work.

It's good to see the respect shown to Tom by continuing his naming scheme, and it's sensible to do that.

It would be a shame for us to miss out on the Curvy Copter 2, because it has prior work.

Does your mechanism support a Curvy Copter 2 as well? We would buy both types eagerly, the solving difference is worthwhile.

We are lucky to have some very innovative designers in our community who have great ideas. It would be good to include them in a conversation about the release of a very similar puzzle. Perhaps cooperation might result in a better puzzle for us all.

We are a community that appreciates seeing the involvement and recognition of inventors. We want them to be included in the process, and to have their names on our puzzles. It adds value and significance to the puzzles.

We appreciate your own innovation too.

In some instances (higer order cubes for example) the mechanism is the entire innovation. In some instances the mechanism is less of the innovation, and the ideas are of equal importance.

Cheers,
Burgo.

PB 3x3 55sec Jan 2011 (When I was a kid 1:30 was speedcubing so I'm stoked).
1st 3x3 Earth (nemesis) solve Jan 2011 My You Tube (Now has ALLCrazy 3X3 Planets with Reduction)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 am 

I am aware that there's usually a gap between these teaser posts and market puzzles of about a year. What is this gap about when these puzzles look so finished already? I don't know much about the workings of a huge producer and I'm just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:49 am 

I appreciate MF8 announcing this puzzle on TP Forum. The Curvy Copter III is a great-looking puzzle and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of challenge the new cuts and additional pieces will bring. I can't wait to try it! In the meantime, I'm getting reaquainted with my Curvy Copter and Helicopter cubes.