Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Sunrise Sunset Puzzle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:42 pm 

Hello Everyone,

I'm pleased to introduce my latest design, the Sunrise Sunset Puzzle. The Sunrise Sunset puzzle is based on the geometry of the trigonal dipyramid. It is exactly the same shape as my Fracture-6 puzzle. This time, the puzzle can turn on all five vertices. But the slices are shallower, so there is no bandaging to complicate the solving. I called it "Sunrise Sunset" because the slice patterns on the faces are reminiscent of the rays of the rising or setting sun. Here is a video so that you can see the puzzle in action. The puzzle turns very smoothly and easily, although the small pieces do sometimes slip out of alignment a bit. Even so, they're very easy to push back into place, so it's not much of a problem while manipulating the puzzle.

You can buy the Sunrise Sunset puzzle in my Shapeways shop.

Here are a few pictures of the Sunrise Sunset puzzle:
Attachment:
Sunrise Sunset Green Vertex.JPG
Sunrise Sunset Green Vertex.JPG [ 214.51 KiB | Viewed 1403 times ]
Attachment:
Sunrise Sunset Red Vertex.JPG
Sunrise Sunset Red Vertex.JPG [ 209.65 KiB | Viewed 2451 times ]
Attachment:
Sunrise Sunset Side View.JPG
Sunrise Sunset Side View.JPG [ 228.57 KiB | Viewed 2451 times ]
Attachment:
Sunrise Sunset 90 Degree Turn.JPG
Sunrise Sunset 90 Degree Turn.JPG [ 227.12 KiB | Viewed 2451 times ]
Attachment:
Sunrise Sunset 120 Degree Turn.JPG
Sunrise Sunset 120 Degree Turn.JPG [ 224.81 KiB | Viewed 2451 times ]
Attachment:
Sunrise Sunset Multiple Turns.JPG
Sunrise Sunset Multiple Turns.JPG [ 213.07 KiB | Viewed 1403 times ]

Enjoy!
Dave

Last edited by David Pitcher on Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Sunrise Sunset Puzzle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:46 pm 

Awesome! My favourite puzzle from you. This is the first non jumbling Boublezed (or however you spell it) puzzle, right? I'm going to have to get this shortly. :)

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:50 pm 

I like the name of it. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:58 pm 

Very nice! It's like a sort of looks like a smooshed pyraminx crystal. I like it!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm 

NICE!!! I really like the looks of this one.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:48 pm 

This is a really nice puzzle! Love the shape of the pieces; they remind me of the Pyraminx Crystal in a way. Would love to own one of these, think I might just have to buy one in the near future!

Tony Fisher wrote:
Please can you reduce the size of your photos when posting. To see the whole of this thread I have to walk into the next room.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:30 pm 

Excelent Puzzle!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:52 am 

Great puzzle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:01 am 

Good images for an even better puzzle.
Luke wrote:
Awesome! My favourite puzzle from you. This is the first non jumbling Boublezed (or however you spell it) puzzle, right? I'm going to have to get this shortly. :)

I would have said it is fudged but I have problems to understand boublezizing anway.
In all cases it defies some rules of geometry which wouldn't allow 90°-turns here.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:41 am 

Great puzzle! I normally don't like the pyramid shaped puzzles, but I really like this one. The colors are very nice looking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:01 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
I would have said it is fudged but I have problems to understand boublezizing anway.
In all cases it defies some rules of geometry which wouldn't allow 90°-turns here.
I'm not sure we have a clear definition of boublezizing around here but at the moment I'm thinking its the use of turning axes in a given puzzle which don't all cross at the same point. As such this puzzle isn't boublezized, if my current thinking of the definition is correct. I also don't think this puzzle is fudged. Which rules of geometry is it breaking? It does make use of stored cuts and does remind me of some of the boublezized puzzles but I believe its pulling that off by making use of turns being allowed at 3-fold and 4-fold vertices.

Carl

Last edited by wwwmwww on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:14 pm 

This is indeed a beautiful puzzle. Your choice to make the cuts shallow enough to not have centers/bandaging has definitely made the solving of it quite easy, perhaps just a small step above the pyraminx, as you can solve the 12-piece orbit first with intuitive [1,1]s, then the 9-piece orbit second also with [1,1]s (the 2nd orbit would require setups for orientations though). That being said, I think you definitely made the right choice here though.

I assume a similar cut geometry would also work for higher order dipyramids? (though it might not look as pretty as this one... the angles happen to work out very aesthetically in this one)

Andreas Nortmann wrote:

There should be no fudging required here. There are 2 different cuts/angles. One cut is determined by the 3 equatorial corners, and the other is determined by the 2 polar corners. These two cuts never have to interact with one another. Also, of course, the base dipyramid has had its angles adjusted to make all dihedral angles identical, thus allowing for 90 degree turns (the same as in Fracture-6).

EDIT: Although I also am not 100% sure about the definition of boublezizing, I tend to agree with Carl's interpretation of this puzzle. I think this is just a case of stored cuts as a result of varying types of corners, similar to Eric Vergo's Compound Crystal. Boublezizing I think of as having to do with varying cut-depths of identical corners.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:01 pm 

Thanks to everyone for the very kind feedback! It's always nice to hear :D

Regarding the geometry of the puzzle, there is no fudging involved, as the shape of the dipyramid naturally allows the two types of turns. As Carl points out, it does have stored cuts. I also agree with the statements that it is not a "boublezized" puzzle (at least as far as my understanding of the definition goes).

One interesting thing to note about the angles of the slice pattern in the Sunrise Sunset puzzle is that there are only two different angles present between slices on each face. The four asymmetrical pieces on each face are identical, and thus have the same angle from side to side. The interesting part (to me at least) is that all six of the other slices share the same slightly larger angle. The two large diamond-shaped portions that extend all the way to the four-way vertices seem that they must have a larger angle, but its actually just an illusion due to their much larger size.

DKwan wrote:
I assume a similar cut geometry would also work for higher order dipyramids? (though it might not look as pretty as this one... the angles happen to work out very aesthetically in this one)
Indeed, similar cuts can be used with other dipyramids. When the pentagonal dipyramid is sliced in this manner some very thin (but still feasible) parts are created, as shown here:
Attachment:
shallow cut vertex turning pentagonal dipyramid.jpg
shallow cut vertex turning pentagonal dipyramid.jpg [ 63.16 KiB | Viewed 2048 times ]
The hexagonal dipyramid is more interesing since the slices become a bit larger again, and I find them more aesthetically pleasing. They could also potentially be extended to allow equatorial edge turns. Here is what that would look like:
Attachment:
shallow cut vertex & edge turning hexagonal dipyramid.jpg
shallow cut vertex & edge turning hexagonal dipyramid.jpg [ 73.22 KiB | Viewed 2048 times ]

Last edited by David Pitcher on Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:17 pm 

David Pitcher wrote:
They could also potentially be extended to allow equatorial vertex turns.
Do you mean equatorial edge turns? At least that is what I think I'm getting out of that picture. If so I assume the edge turns would be limited to 180 degree turns, is that correct?

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:28 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Do you mean equatorial edge turns? At least that is what I think I'm getting out of that picture. If so I assume the edge turns would be limited to 180 degree turns, is that correct?
Whoops! Yes, that's exactly what I meant. And you are correct, they would be limited to 180 degrees.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:55 pm 

I love this amazing puzzle, and it's equally amazing price. The one of tge few shapeways puzzles I can ask them for for my birthday, and the won't say no because of the price :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:37 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Which rules of geometry is it breaking?
That was proverbial.
This puzzle obviously relies on the geometry of the triangular prism. But there is no 90°-rotation in the group of the trigonal prism.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:28 pm 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
This puzzle obviously relies on the geometry of the triangular prism. But there is no 90°-rotation in the group of the trigonal prism.

I am thinking this is an example of an vertex-turning solid that is too shallow cut to be transformed into a face-turning duel while maintaining planar cuts. The Magic Octahedron and Dino Cube also have this property. Of course, there is probably other weirdness I cannot comprehend going on.

Also, is this puzzle Doctrinaire?

I pledge allegiance to the whole of humanity, and to the world in which we live: one people under the heavens, indivisible, with Liberty and Equality for all.

My Shapeways Shop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:14 pm 

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Yes. The way to tell is to take the stickers off and you should notice that all states of the puzzle will look identical.

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:27 pm 

Really nice puzzle, and very aesthetically pleasing! I just love what such simple cuts cause. Simple and elegant!
I wonder what it'd look like if you'd split the big diamond stickers in halves to add another ray.

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Not in general, but isn't this a special case of it? (angle between equatorialedges is equal to angle between the other two edges meeting in equatorial vertex (I can't word it better))

Jeffery Mewtamer wrote:
Looks to me. Why wouldn't it be?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:48 pm 

First of all awesome puzzle David. At this price I'm going to have to buy one, in the very near future.

wwwmwww wrote:
I'm not sure we have a clear definition of boublezizing around here but at the moment I'm thinking its the use of turning axes in a given puzzle which don't all cross at the same point. As such this puzzle isn't boublezized, if my current thinking of the definition is correct. I also don't think this puzzle is fudged. Which rules of geometry is it breaking? It does make use of stored cuts and does remind me of some of the boublezized puzzles but I believe its pulling that off by making use of turns being allowed at 3-fold and 4-fold vertices.

I think a proper definition is in order, and I think it may start a larger, off topic discussion then ideal so I'm going to go back to the original topic on the building modding page. Short story is I think this puzzle does classify as boublized.