Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: RotoPrism 2 - Now Available on Shapeways
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:03 pm 

Hi Puzzlers,

In case you were wondering why I called the puzzles in my previous post RotoPrism 3, it is because there is a RotoPrism 2. Like the other RotoPrism puzzles, RotoPrism 2 is derived from the Fracture-6 puzzle. But in this case instead of using a 3x3x3 prism geometry, I used 2x2x2 geometry. This results in a puzzle with only corners (which are the equivalent to the Fracture-6 faces), and faces. The faces on RotoPrism 2 have no analog on the Fracture-6 puzzle.

Here are a few pictures of the RotoPrism 2 puzzle:
Attachment:
RotoPrism 2.JPG
RotoPrism 2.JPG [ 177.98 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
Attachment:
RotoPrism 2 - 180 turn.JPG
RotoPrism 2 - 180 turn.JPG [ 183.15 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
Attachment:
RotoPrism 2 - 180 turn back.JPG
RotoPrism 2 - 180 turn back.JPG [ 187.37 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
Attachment:
RotoPrism 2 - 90 turn.JPG
RotoPrism 2 - 90 turn.JPG [ 194.95 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
Attachment:
RotoPrism 2 - multiple turns.JPG
RotoPrism 2 - multiple turns.JPG [ 188.79 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
Attachment:
RotoPrism 2 - multiple turns 2.JPG
RotoPrism 2 - multiple turns 2.JPG [ 182.17 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
Attachment:
RotoPrism 2 - multiple turns 3.JPG
RotoPrism 2 - multiple turns 3.JPG [ 195.92 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]

Here is the new video so that you can see the revised RotoPrism 2 in action. It now turns very smoothly, and the jams and looseness that were problems with the earlier version have been eliminated. It's still a bit tricky to assemble, but that's a lot easier than solving it!

One other very interesting thing to note about RotoPrism 2 is that it is the only puzzle that I'm aware of that is cut deeper than the origin of the puzzle. Typically a puzzle cannot be cut past the origin because you could just say that the cuts are shallower than the origin in the other direction. However, because RotoPrism 2 must be considered face-turning due to the fact that it is capable of 90 degree turns, it should be considered deeper than origin cut. Otherwise the turning axes themselves end up moving out of the plane of the other axes.

I also made a true prismatic version of the RotoPrism 2, so I'll end this post with a couple pictures of that puzzle:
Attachment:
RotoPrism 2 prismatic.JPG
RotoPrism 2 prismatic.JPG [ 184.3 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]
Attachment:
RotoPrism 2 prismatic scramble.JPG
RotoPrism 2 prismatic scramble.JPG [ 189.93 KiB | Viewed 2209 times ]

Enjoy!
Dave

Last edited by David Pitcher on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: RotoPrism 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm 

I am so utterly confused... Very cool!

-Eitan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:44 pm 

Great puzzle! I like the round shape very much. :D

I'm having a bit of trouble believing that it has to be defined as deeper-than-deepcut. Could the high level of bandaging be the reason?

Attachment:
rotoprism3.png
rotoprism3.png [ 174.71 KiB | Viewed 2178 times ]

Question. Can you turn along the cuts highlighted?

I still haven't wrapped my brain around this puzzle, and I don't mean to argue... You're surely more comfortable with the geometry :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:36 pm 

pirsquared wrote:
Question. Can you turn along the cuts highlighted?
No, you can only turn the puzzle on the three axes around the perimeter, just like Fracture-6.
Coaster1235 wrote:
I'm having a bit of trouble believing that it has to be defined as deeper-than-deepcut. Could the high level of bandaging be the reason?
It took me a while to convince myself of this too. I'm not sure I'd say the bandaging is the reason for it, but it certainly plays a role. The reason I believe it is deeper than origin cut is as follows: The three rotational axes are located on each "rectangular" face at the intersection of the two square pieces and the large curved triangle. In order to turn any one of the axes by 90 degrees without altering the plane of the other two axes, the opposite small edge of the puzzle must be held stationary. Therefore the non-moving part of the puzzle is the small set of edge pieces opposite the turning axis, meaning the bulk of the puzzle (origin point included) is turning. Hopefully that helps clarify things rather than causing more confusion.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 am 

There should be a law against posting so much beautiful creations in so short time...
Oh. Look who is talking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:12 pm 

More thoughts. To allow rotation along the cuts I asked earlier, you'd need to introduce 6 more turning axes, right?

So at it's solved state, the 3 turning axes held horizontally in a plane, you can turn the 3 triangles in the sides, but not the top or bottom triangles.
When you make a 90 degree turn, the (previously) top and bottom triangles move to the sides and "unlock", become able to turn, and the previously side triangles become top and down triangles and "lock". Am I correct? If the previously mentioned 6 axes were introduced, would it stop the "drifting of the axes"? If that is correct, I think it's very interesting behaviour.

Also, if you consider the deeper-cut half of the puzzle to turn the core, and the smaller part of the edge pieces to be not moving, the core stays still, right?

This is such an interesting puzzle... too bad it isn't for sale.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:29 pm 

Coaster1235 wrote:
So at it's solved state, the 3 turning axes held horizontally in a plane, you can turn the 3 triangles in the sides, but not the top or bottom triangles.
When you make a 90 degree turn, the (previously) top and bottom triangles move to the sides and "unlock", become able to turn, and the previously side triangles become top and down triangles and "lock". Am I correct?
This is a correct description of the puzzle's movement.
Coaster1235 wrote:
If the previously mentioned 6 axes were introduced, would it stop the "drifting of the axes"?
In a sense you can turn the puzzle on the axis you've drawn, you just have to perform a 90 degree turn first, and then that slice must turn 180 degrees. But once you do so you wouldn't be able to turn the axis 90 degrees back since it would block other moves (you'd have to turn it 180). If the axis you've proposed were to turn 90 degrees instead of 180, it would again block other moves. What it boils down to is that adding in the capability for the proposed turns while the puzzle is in the position shown wouldn't actually get you any additional scrambling capability.
Coaster1235 wrote:
Also, if you consider the deeper-cut half of the puzzle to turn the core, and the smaller part of the edge pieces to be not moving, the core stays still, right?
The core does not move if the deeper cut portion of the puzzle is turned. In the next layer around the core, there are all the parts of a Fracture-6 puzzle, so half of those parts turn, along with the turning pieces of the outer (visible) puzzle.
Coaster1235 wrote:
This is such an interesting puzzle... too bad it isn't for sale.
It is a very interesting puzzle, and surprisingly complex internally for such a simple exterior. If I can find a way to fix the problems it has, I will certainly offer it for sale.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:28 pm 

Amazing!

Post subject: Re: RotoPrism 2 - Now Available on Shapeways
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:28 pm 

Apologies for bumping this topic up from over a month ago, but I wanted to let everyone know that I have been working on improving the RotoPrism 2, and have finally succeeded. Here is the new video so that you can see the revised RotoPrism 2 in action. It now turns very smoothly, and the jams and looseness that were problems with the earlier version have been eliminated. It's still a bit tricky to assemble, but that's a lot easier than solving it! The video also includes a lengthier explanation of the reasoning behind the fact that the puzzle is deeper than origin turning.

RotoPrism 2 is now available for sale in my Shapeways shop.

Enjoy!
Dave

Post subject: Re: RotoPrism 2 - Now Available on Shapeways
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:54 am 

WOW! good job!!!