Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: Belgium
Before I post the concept, I'd like to say that I don't know if anyone has a working model of this assigned to their name. I called it the Reach-Out Cube because it reaches out to all sides. (suggestions for better name are welcome).

It works around an extended 2x2 core and has a twistable extension on each side.
I made the layers disproportionate to show the difference between the fixed layers and the movable layers.
The inside (half) layer isn't movable like the outer layer. It is movable only by the laws of the 2x2 core.

It has 32 visible pieces.
The puzzle is 10,5cm across.
It weighs in at approximately 250 grams. So quite heavy.

Pardon the crudeness of the puzzle, it is my first ever and was made using bought puzzles, a Handsaw, lots of sandpaper, a glue-gun and lots of patience :D!

Stickers are the standard vinyl sheets from Cubesmith, basic color scheme, hand cut.

Please tell me what you think!
Attachment:
File comment: Reach-out top view
P1000292.JPG
P1000292.JPG [ 429.77 KiB | Viewed 2738 times ]


Attachments:
File comment: Reach-out mechanism view
P1000297.JPG
P1000297.JPG [ 97.51 KiB | Viewed 2738 times ]
File comment: Reach-out inside piece view
P1000296.JPG
P1000296.JPG [ 115.28 KiB | Viewed 2738 times ]

_________________
Is that a Missing Link in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 8-)


Last edited by JohnnyLuV on Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Montana
I had plans to make one of these years ago but being productive doesn't go well for me.

Great job on this puzzle, it's a nice first custom. It looks sort of like a cross cube though it has its differences. I'd be interested in knowing if the layers could be made to be proportional.

_________________
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Things like this are illegal.
If not I will pass an appropriate law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:06 pm
Very unique, I like it! You should make a video to showcase the turning.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: Belgium
Ender Delphiki wrote:
I had plans to make one of these years ago but being productive doesn't go well for me.

Great job on this puzzle, it's a nice first custom. It looks sort of like a cross cube though it has its differences. I'd be interested in knowing if the layers could be made to be proportional.


Well, I made the layers disproportionate to show the difference between the fixed layers and the movable layers.
The inside (half) layer isn't movable like the outer layer. It is only movable by the laws of the 2x2 core.

_________________
Is that a Missing Link in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: Belgium
Aether13 wrote:
Very unique, I like it! You should make a video to showcase the turning.


I will make a video tomorrow evening ;)

_________________
Is that a Missing Link in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:12 am
Location: Hong Kong/Beijing
Seems nice. Remind me the Time Machine~ :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Montana
If the mechanism works how I think it does, it wouldn't be hard to actually have two moving layers per extension. This would work better printed than hand-made of course.

_________________
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Things like this are illegal.
If not I will pass an appropriate law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: Belgium
Ender Delphiki wrote:
If the mechanism works how I think it does, it wouldn't be hard to actually have two moving layers per extension. This would work better printed than hand-made of course.


It would be very possible, but then you'd have the problem that the gaps would be too large and the puzzle pieces might be too easy to twist out of the puzzle. This could be solved by having the mechanism go deep enough inside the middle outside layer cube. But of course, the entire outer 2 pieces would have to be redesigned.

A printed version would work much better.

_________________
Is that a Missing Link in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 am
Location: Indiana
I like it a lot! Wouldn't it solve the same as this though?

_________________
-Jack Lopez


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: Belgium
Jack Lopez wrote:
I like it a lot! Wouldn't it solve the same as this though?


It solves exactly the same. Only that it brings the concept back to the more traditional looking cube-like puzzles.

_________________
Is that a Missing Link in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Montana
Jack Lopez wrote:
I like it a lot! Wouldn't it solve the same as this though?

That is incorrect. You can swap around the parts of the same color on that cube, where as you must correctly order them on this as you would the centers of a Supercube. This puzzle would solve like a 2x2x2 and the centers of a super-4x4x4.

_________________
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Things like this are illegal.
If not I will pass an appropriate law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: Belgium
Ender Delphiki wrote:
Jack Lopez wrote:
I like it a lot! Wouldn't it solve the same as this though?

That is incorrect. You can swap around the parts of the same color on that cube, where as you must correctly order them on this as you would the centers of a Supercube. This puzzle would solve like a 2x2x2 and the centers of a super-4x4x4.


I dont fully understand. The puzzle you showed me has movable extensions and also solves like a 2x2. They solve exactly the same when I look at it. Only that the shape of it is different.
The ball-like part turns like the extensions on my Reach-out cube and the square parts solve like a normal 2x2 as the center cubies of my puzzle do.

_________________
Is that a Missing Link in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Canada
Nice, alreayd thiked of that to, but why not do it on a 4x4x4, with the centers :P lol.

_________________
katsmom wrote:
My grapes are making noises right now. They keep saying drink me, drink me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: Belgium
Drake wrote:
Nice, alreayd thiked of that to, but why not do it on a 4x4x4, with the centers :P lol.

Actually it is possible, but that would make the puzzle quite large :P.

_________________
Is that a Missing Link in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Montana
JohnnyLuV wrote:
Ender Delphiki wrote:
Jack Lopez wrote:
I like it a lot! Wouldn't it solve the same as this though?

That is incorrect. You can swap around the parts of the same color on that cube, where as you must correctly order them on this as you would the centers of a Supercube. This puzzle would solve like a 2x2x2 and the centers of a super-4x4x4.


I dont fully understand. The puzzle you showed me has movable extensions and also solves like a 2x2. They solve exactly the same when I look at it. Only that the shape of it is different.
The ball-like part turns like the extensions on my Reach-out cube and the square parts solve like a normal 2x2 as the center cubies of my puzzle do.

The difference is that you can swap any 2 Blue circle-parts on the ShengShou 2x2x2 Circle cube. You cannot, however, swap two 'blue' extensions on the Reach-Out cube because then it won't be solved as there are additional stickers on the extensions that won't be in the right place.

Imagine a move like R or F is a twist of just the extension, whereas Ff or Rr twists the inside 2x2x2 cube. Turn the cube:

[Rr' Dd' F' L Dd F2 Rr]

The U face should now have the colors returned to normal except for a problem you don't face on the SS Circle Cube.

_________________
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Things like this are illegal.
If not I will pass an appropriate law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: Belgium
Ender Delphiki wrote:

Imagine a move like R or F is a twist of just the extension, whereas Ff or Rr twists the inside 2x2x2 cube. Turn the cube:

[Rr' Dd' F' L Dd F2 Rr]

The U face should now have the colors returned to normal except for a problem you don't face on the SS Circle Cube.


I understand, and you're completely right.
Any blue part (for example) can go anywhere on the blue side on the SS circle cube, but on the reach-out cube, there is a position it has to go to for every piece. ;)

_________________
Is that a Missing Link in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Chichester, England
This puzzle is essentially a 'Super' Ball Crazy Babyface 2x2x2 puzzle or whatever it's called.

Awesome build, that looks fantastic. I would have personally liked it if the extended layers were only half the height to make it appear more proportional. But apart from that, great job!

_________________
3x3x3 single: 5.73 seconds.
3x3x3 average of five: 8.92 seconds.
3x3x3 average of twelve: 9.77 seconds.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:02 pm
Location: Belgium
Luke wrote:
This puzzle is essentially a 'Super' Ball Crazy Babyface 2x2x2 puzzle or whatever it's called.

Awesome build, that looks fantastic. I would have personally liked it if the extended layers were only half the height to make it appear more proportional. But apart from that, great job!


Thank you! It's actually a bit more difficult because the pieces also have a specific permutation. Which the "'Super' Ball Crazy Babyface 2x2x2" does not have.

And the outside layers can easily be cut down to half the size without screwing up the mechanism. It would reduce the length from side to side by about 2 cm and about 20-30 grams of material. But I like this look :P

Thanks for the comment. I'm actually really ecstatic over making my first ever own puzzle! :)

_________________
Is that a Missing Link in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:03 am
Location: Koblenz, Germany
There are at least two other puzzle which have the same subset as this Reach-Out cube:
Lolo's octahedron and Windows Cube. See the museum for reference.
Enter Delphiki is right: There are some differences in uniqueness of the pieces.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:16 am
Location: Indiana
Ender Delphiki wrote:
Jack Lopez wrote:
I like it a lot! Wouldn't it solve the same as this though?

That is incorrect. You can swap around the parts of the same color on that cube, where as you must correctly order them on this as you would the centers of a Supercube. This puzzle would solve like a 2x2x2 and the centers of a super-4x4x4.


I see what you mean, but aren't there identical pieces distributed on the other faces (ex. 6 clockwise OYG corners)? In that case you really have 4 unique pieces seen 6 times on the puzzle, instead of 6 unique pieces seen 4 times as on the circle 2x2.

Jack

_________________
-Jack Lopez


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Reach-Out Cube by JoLuV
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
Jack Lopez wrote:
I see what you mean, but aren't there identical pieces distributed on the other faces (ex. 6 clockwise OYG corners)?
I just see 3.
Jack Lopez wrote:
In that case you really have 4 unique pieces seen 6 times on the puzzle, instead of 6 unique pieces seen 4 times as on the circle 2x2.
I'd say 3 unique pieces seen 8 times on the this puzzle.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group