Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: grigorusha Star Cube (sale)
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
I present my new puzzle - Star Cube
this is hybrid standard cube and MegaMinx

Sale: http://www.shapeways.com/model/258193/star_cube.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GM0WmRhDIw

Image
Image

Image
Image

prepare
Image
turn
Image

prepare
Image
turn
Image

scramble
Image
Image

The process of solution ...
Image
Image

Black Version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHBA0ZZjTfQ

Image
Image
Image

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Last edited by grigr on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 1:33 pm
Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
wow- amazing work! reminds me of the cheese block. I love the look of the core, the pentagonal centers on a cubic core looks so wrong yet oh so right at the same time.

_________________
-sj

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Canada
WHAT!? That's cool!!! :shock:.

_________________
katsmom wrote:
My grapes are making noises right now. They keep saying drink me, drink me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am
Location: Colorado
First off I need to say AMAZING JOB!!! :mrgreen: This is a puzzle that will stand the test of time.

With that said I have conflicting thoughts about these types of puzzles. Solving would be great and fun yet what about scrambling. A good puzzle should take just a couple random twists without looking to make it a jumbled mess. This however looks like it would be "tough" to scramble because of having to align four centers to make a rotation. When solving this isn't a problem because it is just part of the puzzle adding to the challenge. What are your thoughts?

_________________
My Shapeways Shop
My YouTube Videos
My Museum Puzzles


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Coolest idea ever. Have you thought about making the reverse (Circle Megaminx with normal circle-cube circles)?

This must be mass-produced by somebody, because it's original and awesome! :) Seriously, this is amazing.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 38.9 seconds
Well, I accumulated puzzles without even trying this Christmas. Whoops.
(Bermuda 8 planets, Rex Cube, Master Skewb, London Natural History Museum keychain 2x2x2, Impossiball)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:15 pm
Location: Michigan
At first I thought that the circles somehow turned based on the face that it's on. I'm kinda disappointed that it's babyfaced.

_________________
Rentlix wrote:
What I like about this puzzle is how if you haven't seen an Oskar puzzle before you don't have a clue how it's supposed to turn.


Oskar wrote:
Am I becoming some twisty Chuck Norris, or so?


Check out my blog

Follow me on Twitter


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
First off I need to say AMAZING JOB!!! :mrgreen: This is a puzzle that will stand the test of time.

thanks all Guys!!!

PuzzleMaster6262 wrote:
With that said I have conflicting thoughts about these types of puzzles. Solving would be great and fun yet what about scrambling. A good puzzle should take just a couple random twists without looking to make it a jumbled mess. This however looks like it would be "tough" to scramble because of having to align four centers to make a rotation. When solving this isn't a problem because it is just part of the puzzle adding to the challenge. What are your thoughts?

you're right! with this puzzle is difficult to play ... I'm sorry, but I could not think of how to bandaged the circles and faces ...
but I could not wait and do it in style BabyFace. If someone proposed an elegant idea - I'm ready to remodel this puzzle!

GoombaGeek wrote:
Coolest idea ever. Have you thought about making the reverse (Circle Megaminx with normal circle-cube circles)?

I will leave this idea to you;)

GoombaGeek wrote:
This must be mass-produced by somebody, because it's original and awesome! :) Seriously, this is amazing.

I'll think about it;)

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm
Location: Montana
I'm afraid it may be too easy to knock off. Amazing puzzle and all but if it gets mass produced I'm not sure if Grigr will be on the producing end.

_________________
Andreas Nortmann wrote:
Things like this are illegal.
If not I will pass an appropriate law.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Chichester, England
Great work. I am in awe of it's simplicity as a concept and it's excellence as a puzzle. Please, do the puzzle justice and put it on Shapeways :).

_________________
3x3x3 single: 5.73 seconds.
3x3x3 average of five: 8.92 seconds.
3x3x3 average of twelve: 9.77 seconds.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:34 pm
The bandaging would be an issue I think, not only because of the conflicting angles but also because 4 stars have to be lined up so a layer can rotate. I shall have a think but it seems impossible to me. :? :scrambled:

_________________
I am a fan of the Face turning Dodecahedrons :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:48 pm
Location: Canada
thomasbomb wrote:
At first I thought that the circles somehow turned based on the face that it's on. I'm kinda disappointed that it's babyfaced.


Like if it would not be there would probably have a problem with the circle/star alignment.

_________________
katsmom wrote:
My grapes are making noises right now. They keep saying drink me, drink me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm
I love simple ideas like that! *Standing ovation*
Now only if I had the money to afford such things o_o
Although, I must admit it'll be annoying to have to adjust the pentagonal face like that everytime


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
I added new Photo - scrambled state
see top message

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am
Location: In Front Of My Teraminx (saying WTF?)
Very, very cool :D 8-)

_________________
My Shapeways Shop!
My Designs
My Official Results
My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:51 am
Location: Madrid
I love this one! And I think that the star in relief it's really a nice touch!
Congrats!

_________________
Massimo

---------------------------------------
www.floppycreations.com

contact@floppycreations.com
order@floppycreations.com
---------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:37 pm
awesome!! My favorite of yours easily!!

_________________
PBs:single/Ao5/Ao12
3x3: 4.26/7.26/7.75
pyraminx: 0.89/1.87/2.19
4x4:29.29/33.53


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Bravo. Really cool new concept.

It looks like, with patience, it can be very satisfactorily scrambled.

-Eitan

_________________
Eitan = "EIGHT-ahn"
Buy a Radio Cube 3! Only $150 at Eitan's Shapeways Shop
Check out my video: Twisty Puzzles a la Vi



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am
I thought it might be neat and more convenient if an 8 prong star version were made. I made a quick sketch and I think it might look something like this.
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
very interesting! you can do it;)

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am
I have neither the experience nor the money to create and print such a puzzle. But anyone else is free to take a crack at it.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
oBNoo wrote:
I thought it might be neat and more convenient if an 8 prong star version were made. I made a quick sketch and I think it might look something like this.
Image
Oh I like this idea. Unlike the 5 pointed star version you could tie the circle moves to the core in some interesting ways. Imagine a puzzle which looked like this where each 90 degree face turn resulted in the circle on that face turning by 45 degrees.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am
wwwmwww wrote:
Oh I like this idea. Unlike the 5 pointed star version you could tie the circle moves to the core in some interesting ways. Imagine a puzzle which looked like this where each 90 degree face turn resulted in the circle on that face turning by 45 degrees.

Carl


So something like this?
Image

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: London
Thats a nice idea, but I can't see hoe that would be possible without the use of gears. That would probably make the puzzle aither really large (and expensive) or not turn very well.

just my 2 cents :)

_________________
¿uʍop ǝpısdn noʎ ǝɹɐ ʎɥʍ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm
What would solving the 8-pronged gear one be like, one that only allows 180 turns, but then with another step in the solution?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am
Sharkretriver wrote:
What would solving the 8-pronged gear one be like, one that only allows 180 turns, but then with another step in the solution?


90 degree turns would be allowed too.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:09 pm
Location: Missouri
oBNoo wrote:
So something like this?
Image
Yes. That is exactly what I meant!!! Nice animation.
DudeHuLubeDaRubeCube wrote:
Thats a nice idea, but I can't see hoe that would be possible without the use of gears. That would probably make the puzzle aither really large (and expensive) or not turn very well.
Yes, I too believe this would need gears. So this is probably a potential Oskar puzzle. I don't think anyone else is touching gears yet. As for how well it will turn... I have no idea. But I do think it would be a very interesting puzzle. This may be a great candidate for a Gelatinbrain puzzle.

Carl

_________________
-
Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm
oBNoo wrote:
Sharkretriver wrote:
What would solving the 8-pronged gear one be like, one that only allows 180 turns, but then with another step in the solution?


90 degree turns would be allowed too.

Oh, didn't watch animation carefully enough, thanks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
The process of solution ...
Image
Image

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
wwwmwww wrote:
oBNoo wrote:
So something like this?
Image
Yes. That is exactly what I meant!!! Nice animation.
DudeHuLubeDaRubeCube wrote:
Thats a nice idea, but I can't see hoe that would be possible without the use of gears. That would probably make the puzzle aither really large (and expensive) or not turn very well.
Yes, I too believe this would need gears. So this is probably a potential Oskar puzzle. I don't think anyone else is touching gears yet. As for how well it will turn... I have no idea. But I do think it would be a very interesting puzzle. This may be a great candidate for a Gelatinbrain puzzle.

Carl

Watch Oskar do this in 5 minutes. Guarantee it.

I might take a crack at making that 8-line version myself, if you don't mind...

-Eitan

_________________
Eitan = "EIGHT-ahn"
Buy a Radio Cube 3! Only $150 at Eitan's Shapeways Shop
Check out my video: Twisty Puzzles a la Vi



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am
pirsquared wrote:

I might take a crack at making that 8-line version myself, if you don't mind...

-Eitan


Go right ahead :)
I'd love to see an idea of mine come to life.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:26 pm
Location: Québec, Canada
I made a pretty straightforward mod, just a six-pointed star:
Image

I really like the concept "align a cut to allow turning" from your puzzle, wich can be ported to almost any puzzle shape.

I tried it on a reuleaux tetrahedron and I like the result :
Image

_________________
My Shapeways shop


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 pm
Location: London
maybe you should make that last one with a crazy tetrahedron, and shapeways centre pieces (within the circle) would that be possible?

Plus this whole conversation has gotten pretty off-topic.. Allow me to correct it :lol:

Grigorusha, why are the edge pieces of the inner megaminx (within the circle) slightly raised compared to the rest of each face? Is this to help the turning of the baby-faces?

Would it be possibler to have those 5 pieces per face flush, and instead have the centres raised a bit?

And do you have any intentions of selling this on shapeways?

And lastly, I had an idea that may make it easier and quicker to turn 4 babyfaces to align. How hard would it be to have more tolerences (to make it looser) but instead have a slight *click* when the cuts line up to allow a move? Possible a click similar to turning an outer face of the V cube 6?

_________________
¿uʍop ǝpısdn noʎ ǝɹɐ ʎɥʍ


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube (sale)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
Sale: http://www.shapeways.com/model/258193/star_cube.html

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube (sale)
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
I solved my cube :)

all star comlete
Image

one face solved
Image

two face solved
Image

finish!!!
Image

:mrgreen: :solved:

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube (sale)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:03 am
Location: Koblenz, Germany
grigr wrote:
I solved my cube :)

And how long did it take?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube (sale)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
Did you use more Crazy Cube techniques than Crazy Megaminx techniques, or vice versa?

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 38.9 seconds
Well, I accumulated puzzles without even trying this Christmas. Whoops.
(Bermuda 8 planets, Rex Cube, Master Skewb, London Natural History Museum keychain 2x2x2, Impossiball)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube (sale)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Russia
it looks like a solution GigaMinx, I spent a week ...
it BabyFace puzzle, it can not be solved as Crazy puzzle

_________________
my Shop: ShapeWays, grigorusha Big Puzzle Sale: EBay
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: grigorusha Star Cube (sale)
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
grigr wrote:
it looks like a solution GigaMinx, I spent a week ...
it BabyFace puzzle, it can not be solved as Crazy puzzle

Ah, right! It's more like a cross cube than a crazy puzzle, since it's babyfaced.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 38.9 seconds
Well, I accumulated puzzles without even trying this Christmas. Whoops.
(Bermuda 8 planets, Rex Cube, Master Skewb, London Natural History Museum keychain 2x2x2, Impossiball)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], rakaCN, rayray_2561 and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group