Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Twisted-6 Puzzle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:07 am 

Hello Puzzlers,

I'm pleased to introduce my latest puzzle, the Twisted-6. As you can tell from the name, this puzzle is a relative of my Twisted-8 puzzle. Instead of using the tetragonal trapezohedron geometry, Twisted-6 is based on the trigonal trapezohedron, which in this case happens to be a cube. With this geometry, the small edge pieces that result have no connection to the core, so I used magnets to hold them in place. The result is surprisingly good, with the magnets helping to pop each slice into alignment upon completion of a turn.

Twisted-6 turns in 120 degree increments on two opposite vertexes, and in 180 degree increments on the edges not sharing those vertexes (similar to a helicopter cube). Technically, the puzzle is capable of 60 turns on the vertex axes (and thus shape-shifting), but since the pieces held on magnetically can become fully detached, these turns should not be used.

Here is a video of the Twisted-6.

You can also buy Twisted-6 from my Shapeways shop.

Enjoy!
Dave

Attachment:
Twisted-6 vertex axis.JPG
Twisted-6 vertex axis.JPG [ 189.63 KiB | Viewed 1860 times ]
Attachment:
Twisted-6 vertex turn.JPG
Twisted-6 vertex turn.JPG [ 195.31 KiB | Viewed 1860 times ]
Attachment:
Twisted-6 mid vertex turn.JPG
Twisted-6 mid vertex turn.JPG [ 201.92 KiB | Viewed 1860 times ]
Attachment:
Twisted-6 edge axes.JPG
Twisted-6 edge axes.JPG [ 196.71 KiB | Viewed 1860 times ]
Attachment:
Twisted-6 vertex & edge turn.JPG
Twisted-6 vertex & edge turn.JPG [ 180.29 KiB | Viewed 1860 times ]

Post subject: Re: Twisted-6 Puzzle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 am 

David you are the master of the "click together" puzzle design. I like this puzzle a lot, and at under $100 in BSF on Shapeways I may have to get one. Damn you, you swine!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:41 am 

Plus magnets D:

Looks great!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:41 am 

This looks great! Is this challenging to solve because of the unique scrambling possibilities?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:42 am 

I like it.
If you want to disguise the magnets you can sink them 1mm or so further in and fill the top with resin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:45 am 

Hexahedral restricted hexagonal prism.
Cooool.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:45 am 

I cried a little when I found out there were magnets. :(

Other than that, good job! Very interesting puzzle. Now you just need to combine a half turning 2x2x2 to it. :lol:

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:24 pm 

David Pitcher wrote:
Twisted-6 is based on the trigonal trapezohedron, which in this case happens to be a cube. With this geometry, the small edge pieces that result have no connection to the core, so I used magnets to hold them in place.
The cube is just one special case of the trigonal trapezohedrons. I'm curious if you've looked at the other cases (stretching or shrinking the vertex axes) to see if they allow the small edge to have a connection to the core? And therefore also allow shape changing 60 degree vertex turns.

I was also tempted to suggest pillowing the puzzle or maybe making the cuts deeper but in looking closer I don't think either can be done without making new pieces which would need to be added to the puzzle. I really like the idea behind this puzzle.... I just don't like having a piece which is only held on by magnets.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:14 pm 

Thanks for the kind words! I've tried to answer a few of the questions below:

wwwmwww wrote:
I'm curious if you've looked at the other cases (stretching or shrinking the vertex axes) to see if they allow the small edge to have a connection to the core? And therefore also allow shape changing 60 degree vertex turns.

I was also tempted to suggest pillowing the puzzle or maybe making the cuts deeper but in looking closer I don't think either can be done without making new pieces which would need to be added to the puzzle. I really like the idea behind this puzzle.... I just don't like having a piece which is only held on by magnets.
I did look at every alternative geometry I could think of, including stretching, pillowing, and shifting slice planes, but none allowed the edge pieces to remain in contact with the core. Just as problematic, none of the changes retained the aesthetic of the concept. So I finally decided to give the magnetic option a try, and I am quite pleased with the results. The magnets give the puzzle a great feel, and the slices snap into place perfectly. They give the puzzle a bit of an addictive quality just to fiddle with it, and I was actually thinking that they might be a nice addition to other puzzles to help ensure proper slice alignment! (Don't worry, I won't actually do that.)
Tony Fisher wrote:
If you want to disguise the magnets you can sink them 1mm or so further in and fill the top with resin.
I really don't mind seeing the magnets while making a turn, but the magnet pockets could be designed to be back-loaded, making them completely undetectable except by something the magnet is attracted to. The only concern then would be if too much magnetic power would be lost. Given that it is actually hard to remove the edge pieces now, I think the strength of the magnetic bond is good and I'd be very hesitant to weaken it by adding a separator between the magnets.
Superbud9123 wrote:
Is this challenging to solve because of the unique scrambling possibilities?
I have to admit, I haven't tried a full scramble yet. But it does have many fewer pieces than Twisted-8, so I'm fairly certain it will be a much easier solve.