Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hexagon-1 [Now in color]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:23 pm 

So the idea is pretty simple, you take the concept of a square 1 and apply it to a hexagon. The corners are still twice as big as the edges, it's just that you now have six of each on the top face and the same on the bottom, there's still that one slice through the center of the puzzle that you have to line up the top and bottom with.

Oh, and I've been away so long that for all I know someone else did this already. Has anyone?

This is the youtube video, I told them not you use a shot of a square-1 as the preview image, they told me it could take as long as 36 hours for the image to change.

This is available on Shapeways, assuming I set everything up right.

[Added 7-17-2011:]

Now in color.

Attachment:
Hex-1 Green Purple Blue.jpg
Hex-1 Green Purple Blue.jpg [ 318.16 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

Attachment:
Hex-1 Green Green Red.jpg
Hex-1 Green Green Red.jpg [ 668.24 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

Attachment:
Hex-1 scrambled 1.jpg
Hex-1 scrambled 1.jpg [ 954.06 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

Attachment:
Hex-1 Dog.jpg
Hex-1 Dog.jpg [ 149.83 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

A couple more below, I sort of bumped into the attachment limit here.

Anyway, no stickers, sorry Andreas Nortmann, and as I said, it isn't exactly done well (the white side is particularly bad) but it is in color.

[/Added]

Attachment:
Hex 1 1.jpg
Hex 1 1.jpg [ 340.49 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]

Attachment:
Hex 1 2.jpg
Hex 1 2.jpg [ 293.54 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]

Attachment:
Hex 1 3.jpg
Hex 1 3.jpg [ 253.98 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]

Attachment:
Hex 1 4.jpg
Hex 1 4.jpg [ 296.91 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]

Attachment:
Hex 1 5.jpg
Hex 1 5.jpg [ 361.69 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]

Attachment:
Hex 1 Scale.jpg
Hex 1 Scale.jpg [ 205.5 KiB | Viewed 4458 times ]

Last edited by chris the cynic on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Hex-1
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:31 pm 

This is an interesting adaption of the Square-1 we all know and love; although, the turning seems tight.

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:41 pm 

It should actually be looser for everyone else. That was the second prototype, and I was testing two different levels of tolerance*, or whatever we're calling it these days. The turning in the video reflects that, but since the looser one wasn't too loose so I decided to go with that for the final version. So the final version (which is already uploaded to shapeways) should turn more smoothly.

As is it is possible to turn the prototype with one finger, I just wouldn't recommend it (unless you have a bizarre need to give your fingers a work out.) Of course, since no one else will be getting a prototype, that's not going to be a problem.

-

I was testing on half puzzles, in the assembled prototype each turn is half with the larger tolerance, half with the smaller tolerance, so all of the turning suffers from the tighter fit that is not included in the final.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:52 am 

Clever! I like it!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:11 am 

That's great! I love it. I'm surprised it's taken so long for this to exist.

I think you may have to change the name though, Hex 1 is a Hexagonal Dipyramid Square-1.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:57 am 

D***! I've been working on a hexagonal version of a square-1 for about 6 months now. Admitedly, it's just a shape mod of a square-1 and doesn't have the 6 large and 6 small "cubies" per face - mine has the standard 4, but it's still hex shaped and guess what I was gonna call it? :(

Kudos on an excellent puzzle. I just wish I'd had the time to finish mine first. I will post a pic later when I figure out why my camera card isn't working...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:18 am 

heiowge wrote:
I will post a pic later when I figure out why my camera card isn't working...

you didn't wash and dry it did you? I did that last week and it's not working. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:35 am 

oop. No, I installed a new opperating system and am sorting out glitches.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:18 am 

Luke wrote:
I think you may have to change the name though, Hex 1 is a Hexagonal Dipyramid Square-1.

heiowge wrote:
D***! I've been working on a hexagonal version of a square-1 for about 6 months now. Admitedly, it's just a shape mod of a square-1 and doesn't have the 6 large and 6 small "cubies" per face - mine has the standard 4, but it's still hex shaped and guess what I was gonna call it? :(

Ok, so logically, reasonably, and in all other sense making ways the puzzle should be called the Hexagon-1, because the idea is that I'm calling it [shape]-1 in order to have it match the name Square-1. The thing is, "Square" is a nice monosyllable, "Hexagon" not so much.

Presumably it's proper name would be "Hexagon-1" with "Hex-1" being more of a nickname.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:21 am 

katsmom wrote:
heiowge wrote:
I will post a pic later when I figure out why my camera card isn't working...

you didn't wash and dry it did you? I did that last week and it's not working. :(

I've found that the trick is to realize you've put it in the wash, run as fast as you can to the washer, frantically search for it, take it out, set it somewhere to dry, worry that you've just lost gigabytes worth of pictures, and then ... it works.

I'm not sure, but I think that the dryer is what kills the cards.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:44 am 

:lol: I was told that just the other day. Oh well, a dime a dozen here. I'll just have to remember to buy more. Never can remember that.

and now we thank you for taking the time to read this interruption. Back to the topic. Nice puzzle!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:39 am 

Please, please.
Upload some images with stickers as soon as possible.

The puzzle has not been done before.
But the name is already reserved:
http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=1951

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:50 am 

I don't have the materials or skills (or equipment that can cover for a lack of skill) to create stickers. I'm trying to paint it at the moment, but that's basically just reminding me that the reason I'm excited about doing stuff on Shapeways is that I'm utterly inept at working with my hands.

-

As for the name, I guess that means that it'll have to be "Hexagon-1" but I'm still going to be calling it Hex-1 since I've been doing it for so long at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:57 am 

Finally!

I used to have a drawn image of this puzzle as my avatar a few years ago
(the older members can remember it, as it seems it is not coming up any more!).

It is absolutely great to see it come to life. Well done!

:)

Pantazis

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:05 pm 

kastellorizo wrote:
I used to have a drawn image of this puzzle as my avatar a few years ago
(the older members can remember it, as it seems it is not coming up any more!).

I remember that.

It was probably my inspiration.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:27 pm 

You know you could always ask Oliver Nagy or Dr. Sticker to make stickers for you, as long as you have the edge length and a screenshot of the faces :)

Really nice puzzle ! :)

My Website on Twisty Puzzles with Gears

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:13 pm 

Location: The land of dreams, coincedentally located in Alberta
heiowge wrote:

Kudos on an excellent puzzle. I just wish I'd had the time to finish mine first. I will post a pic later when I figure out why my camera card isn't working...

You could call it the "Square-6", which doesn't have much grounding in reality (square-shape = 1 but hexagon = 6?! what) but I think it sounds nice, and it would differentiate it from this puzzle. Plus, it's only a shape mod, so the "less important" part of the name (the number) is the only one to change. My thought processes seem convoluted :?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:27 pm 

Don't sweat it. I suspect I'll be old & wrinkly before I finish it! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:23 am 

I promised a pic of what I've done so far. As you can tell, it needs a lot of work. Lots of sanding needed...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:05 pm 

heiowge wrote:
I promised a pic of what I've done so far. As you can tell, it needs a lot of work. Lots of sanding needed...

Looking good, although are you just using sandpaper like I tried to (and failed)? Because... um... I know nothing about modding or what you are using but sandpaper really, really sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:12 pm 

Good modders use sandpaper. I doubt many would use a hacksaw to take off a couple of millimetres. :lol:

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:38 pm 

Luke wrote:
Good modders use sandpaper. I doubt many would use a hacksaw to take off a couple of millimetres. :lol:

I did that with my Siamese Cube that has yet to be assembled... :cry:

Post subject: Re: Hexagon-1
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 pm 

chris the cynic wrote:
As for the name, I guess that means that it'll have to be "Hexagon-1" but I'm still going to be calling it Hex-1 since I've been doing it for so long at this point.
For the purposes of the board I'd like to use Hexagon-1 so there is less confusion. I immediately thought of Calzone's puzzle based on the title of the topic (which I will now change...).

Dave

P.S. Nice!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:29 pm 

I now have it colored. Badly, but it is colored.

Before I upload pictures I have a question, are there any guidelines for what size uploaded pictures should be? My camera takes pictures that are 4320x3240, which is fairly excessive.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:44 pm 

chris the cynic wrote:
I now have it colored. Badly, but it is colored.

Before I upload pictures I have a question, are there any guidelines for what size uploaded pictures should be? My camera takes pictures that are 4320x3240, which is fairly excessive.

You could always upload to tinypic, you can have it automatically resize the image.

Post subject: Re: Hexagon-1 [Now in color]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:25 pm 

I colored it a couple of days ago (I was already in the process before it was suggested I have someone else make stickers.)

Anyway, a few more pictures, nothing too impressive (I put the good ones in the top post.)

Attachment:
Hex-1 Green Yellow Orange.jpg
Hex-1 Green Yellow Orange.jpg [ 597.52 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

Attachment:
Hex-1 scrambled 2.jpg
Hex-1 scrambled 2.jpg [ 579.59 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

Attachment:
Hex-1 White Orange Yellow.jpg
Hex-1 White Orange Yellow.jpg [ 508 KiB | Viewed 3726 times ]

A new video on the way soon. Truth be told, I don't like making videos. I always feel awkward and never know what to say or show. I tend to repeat myself and I have trouble making sure you can get a feel for what the puzzle is like.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:31 pm 

I honestly don't like the way you colored it, not to be mean or anything, but it's an amazing puzzle and that maked it look sketchy :(
You can still dye it black when possible and order stickers, it would be worth it.
A bad puzzle with good stickers is bad as much as a good puzzle with bad stickers is bad, now a great puzzle like yours with good stickers is just great !!
I really hope you'll consider changeing it and posting pictures then, i'm not trying to be mean or rude, but i'm helping you out like others helped me out before :)

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:46 pm 

I actually agree entirely. It is colored badly. And the camera isn't exactly forgiving. It captures every flaw and captures them in painful detail. More than you know actually since each of those pictures was scaled down to half resolution.

I wish it had nice coloring. I wish I could show off a nice looking puzzle. Hell, I wish I had a finished product instead of a prototype (at this point I can't afford to get another puzzle.) If anyone decides to buy one they'll have the final version before I do, which is far from ideal for me. (Though if a few people were to buy them, I might be able to afford my own.)

If I didn't think it was too late to undo things I would have when you suggested someone could make stickers (to show you how out of the loop I am, last I knew stickers came from cubesmith and you couldn't just send them an email saying, "Hey, I just made this new puzzle, make stickers for it." That there are two different people I could go to to get custom stickers was news to me.)

Anyway, if I get a new one then of course I'll try getting stickers on it, and share those photos, but that's not likely to happen soon. I am, as I said, broke.

-

I am going to see if I can convince someone to pay for a puzzle for my birthday, which is coming up, but if I can that'll be another puzzle entirely. So I really have no idea when I might be able to get my hands on an unspoiled Hex-1.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:54 pm 

Well two things:

1) You can still order stickers, it doesn't cost too much and you can dye this puzzle black over the current colors and add the stickers

2) You can still sell this puzzle, it is functional and reasonable, if I had the money i'd buy it, as it is quite cheap for a 3D printed puzzle, so don't worry, just get stickers and present it complete and I'm sure you should be able to sell a few copies this way :)
Look at Tom's new puzzles, there are very nice, photoshopped (to make it clear white around the puzzles, something I copied from him). This helps a lot in selling puzzles, since people have high expectations :)

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:49 pm 

When you get the stickers made, try to put the name of the puzzle on them somehow. That always makes a puzzle seem better quality-wise.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:19 pm 

As you might expect, I recorded a video at about the same time I took pictures.

Yet for some reason I've only now uploaded it to youtube. Mostly procrastination. Also the feeling that it's probably pointless since it just involves the puzzle you've already seen turning being turned while colored in a way you already know isn't good.

Regardless, here is the second Hexagon 1 video.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:22 am 

Good work on completing this puzzle. I was actually contemplating on this idea for nearly a month now and I am glad that it exists. :)
Oh well, there is always an octagon-1! :D

But anyone can see it a mile away with those colours!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:44 am 

David Chua wrote:
Good work on completing this puzzle. I was actually contemplating on this idea for nearly a month now and I am glad that it exists. :)

Or a heptagon-1! Even though I'm pretty sure that's impossible you should still try it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:51 am 

GoombaGeek wrote:
David Chua wrote:

Or a heptagon-1! Even though I'm pretty sure that's impossible you should still try it.

Not possible, unless with all parts the same size, like on my Prisminx Crystal, but that would not make it a heptagon-1 but a sort of heptagon-2... It has to be pair :)

Grégoire Pfennig

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:53 am 

David Chua wrote:
Good work on completing this puzzle.

Thanks
Quote:

Oh absolutely.

The idea is broadly applicable to a lot of puzzles. The only thing I haven't figured out is a way to do it that works well for shapes with an odd number of sides. You can definitely do square-1 like things to such a shape*, but it won't be an analog in the same way the Hex-1 is. I've tried looking at using curved cuts to solve the problems inherent in such puzzles, but when you do that it really stops being the same thing. At least I think it does.

Though it suddenly occurs to me that I might have been ... when really I should have ...

*Runs off*

-

*And given time I will do them. I'll also do them to shapes with an even number of sides because they can work there just as well as on a shape with an odd number of sides.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:14 am 

chris the cynic wrote:
Though it suddenly occurs to me that I might have been ... when really I should have ...

*Runs off*

Never mind.

The wonderful future of triangular, pentagonal and heptagonal square 1ish things will not come to pass because of that flash of insight. Turns out that I already had that flash of insight. That was what didn't really work all that well.