Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Shim's Skyglobe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:07 am 

Hi!

Please meet my new puzzle - Skyglobe:

Attachment:
SS852198.JPG
SS852198.JPG [ 142.8 KiB | Viewed 2918 times ]

This shape is called Truncated Triakis Tetrahedron and is one of the near-miss Johnson solids (the pentagonal faces are slightly irregular).

Similarly to Constellation Six, this puzzle had to be fudged too, but this time the laws of geometry were on my side and the angle of deviation turned to be only 2.4° (in Constellation Six 5.4°), so the fudging is very slight and almost not noticeable. It was even possible to place regular pentagons in the centers.

Skyglobe is a higher (order?) of Constellation Six. Not in the usual sense of more parallel cutting layers, but with higher number of axes - in the same sense like Magic Octahedron is related to Pyraminx, or Megaminx to 3x3x3 cube.

I decided to make this one with 6 colors instead of 12 to halve the nightmare of solving it. The colors are arranged so that each of the 4 hexagons neighbors upon all 6 colors.

YouTube video

Attachment:
SS852197.JPG
SS852197.JPG [ 131.26 KiB | Viewed 2918 times ]

Attachments:
SS852206.JPG
SS852206.JPG [ 115.81 KiB | Viewed 2918 times ]

Post subject: Re: Shim's Skyglobe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:20 am 

Amazing!
You are a genius.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:03 am 

This is really cool 8-)
When I saw it first, I thought just bandged starminx But I think it is more looks awsome.
Totally gifted thinking!

-JEC-

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:49 am 

Timur wrote:
This shape is called Truncated Triakis Tetrahedron and is one of the near-miss Johnson solids (the pentagonal faces are slightly irregular).

NICE!!!! I love this puzzle and the Constellation Six. Meffets should contact you about mass producing both.

And I understand why this shape was used as it cuts down on printing costs but I think a Triakis tetrahedron without the truncated hexagon faces would make it a better visual match with the Constellation Six as both puzzles would be vertex turning puzzles. Not sure its worth the extra cost for a printed puzzle but something to consider if these ever are mass produced.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:41 am 

I've been waiting to see this puzzle for ages in your Shapeways shop, and I must say that it's my favourite puzzle of yours along with the Constellation Six (I love that puzzle because I don't understand the jumbling thing :lol:) I do certainly hope to buy this, or better yet, get Meffert's to mass produce these. Both of these have serious mass production potential. :)

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:28 am 

A 60°-HC1
Very cool.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:04 pm 

Saw your name in the author column of the "View unread posts" page and thought "Woohoo! Time to have my mind blown." You did not disappoint.

wwwmwww wrote:
And I understand why this shape was used as it cuts down on printing costs but I think a Triakis tetrahedron without the truncated hexagon faces would make it a better visual match with the Constellation Six as both puzzles would be vertex turning puzzles. Not sure its worth the extra cost for a printed puzzle but something to consider if these ever are mass produced.
It seems like those corners would be extremely large compared to the small pieces and would be visually unappealing.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:22 pm 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
It seems like those corners would be extremely large compared to the small pieces and would be visually unappealing.
Maybe... what about the dual of the triakis tetrahedron? If you used a Truncated tetrahedron it would be a face turning puzzle and it would give meaning to the orientation of the regular pentagon pieces... though I'm not sure what that would do to the other pieces.

Looking a little more... at a minimum that would turn it into a shape changing puzzle as it would no longer look like a Truncated tetrahedron after a 60 degree turn.

Carl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:29 pm 

Very interesting idea and the execution is marvelous! The off-pentagonal face was almost unnoticeable until I read through your post, very interesting indeed.

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:22 pm 

I think it would have been even cooler if the Constellation Six could have had pentagonal centers like this puzzle does -- Or better yet, 13-gons! :lol: I can almost barely see the distortion at all in the Pentagons, but if you look at the isoslese triangles on the sides, the hexagon triangles are slightly larger than the pentagon tirangles. I believe this puzzle would be much harder to solve than the Constellation Six. Also, do the 60 degree turns cause the other layers to jumble, or does the puzzle remain strait?
wwwmwww wrote:
NICE!!!! I love this puzzle and the Constellation Six. Meffets should contact you about mass producing both.
If the Skyglobe's design is anything remotely similar to the Constellation Six, I doubt it would be feasible. The Constellation Six utilizes a series of five corrugated spherical shells in order to stay together. The layers interlock together like teeth on a gear, making the puzzle rigid. Injection molding would ultimately require planar cuts in order to allow the pieces to release, which would not produce a stable puzzle. Otherwise, it would require a "knucklehead" assembly with at least three unique plates for every part. It would probably prove more expensive to produce even than the Shapeways model.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:03 am 

wwwmwww wrote:
Carl
Yes, truncated shape lowers down the printing costs, but that was not the reason. Original design (never printed) was not truncated, and looked like this:

Attachment:
TT.jpg
TT.jpg [ 88.38 KiB | Viewed 2453 times ]

Like GuiltyBystander assumed, this looked disproportional - too big corners in comparison to tiny rays (size ratio here is even bigger than in Const_6). So I thought it would be better to truncate the corners and leave pentagons instead of the triangles. And saving costs on corners allowed me to make the resulting "ball" bigger.

Probably it's worth it to issue a trunated version of Constellation Six with 3 square faces and 6 pentagons :)

stardust4ever wrote:
Also, do the 60 degree turns cause the other layers to jumble, or does the puzzle remain strait?
No, it never jumbles, with any 60°-turn its shape remains the same.

stardust4ever wrote:
If the Skyglobe's design is anything remotely similar to the Constellation Six, I doubt it would be feasible. The Constellation Six utilizes a series of five corrugated spherical shells in order to stay together.
Yes, the mech idea is very similar. But who knows, I'll show it to Meffert anyway.

Last edited by Timur on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:08 am 

If anything, I prefer the one without the truncated corners, but that's just me. In my eyes it would look less like a Starminx and more like a 'Classic Timur Puzzle'.

Definition of 'Classic Timur Puzzle': A puzzle which looks simple and really cool, but boggles my mind when it comes to the jumbling, shapeshifting, bandaging and fudging. :lol:

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:40 pm 

I really love this puzzle! If you decide to sell though your shapeways shop, I hope that you offer the hexagonal extensions, as i think I would enjoy that shape more.

My Shapeways shop