Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: VeryPuzzle presents: the mass produced Tuttminx
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:05 pm 

I don't get why so many people are obsessed with these jumbling moves. You wouldn't die loosening the screws and forcing turns on a pentagonal or triangular prism just to use it like a 3x3x3 cube. Why here? You also wouldn't take a barrel 3x3x3 and try forcing turns on 45° roations of any layer because of the way the octagons look. It's not possible.
This is not supposed to jumble. Turn the hex faces 120°. Jumbling is LAME on this puzzle. It just adds more freedom to the solving procedure. Stop abusing this toy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:12 pm 

alaskajoe wrote:
I don't get why so many people are obsessed with these jumbling moves. You wouldn't die loosening the screws and forcing turns on a pentagonal or triangular prism just to use it like a 3x3x3 cube. Why here? You also wouldn't take a barrel 3x3x3 and try forcing turns on 45° roations of any layer because of the way the octagons look. It's not possible.
This is not supposed to jumble. Turn the hex faces 120°. Jumbling is LAME on this puzzle. It just adds more freedom to the solving procedure. Stop abusing this toy.

Well said. I agree with this because you have to force moves to jumble and after you do jumble, it is almost impossible to tell which pieces have been jumbled or not. Not that my opinion is any more correct than someone else's, but this is not made for jumbling. Stick to your helicopter cube for jumbling.

Chris

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:26 pm 

Does anyone have suggestions as to what colour scheme would be best for this beast? What would work best in terms of looks and what would be easier on the eyes when solving?

Also, thanks for the photos, everyone. It makes the waiting a bit easier. Mine's apparently left China on the 21st, so I'm hoping it will come by the end of the month.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:36 pm 

alaskajoe wrote:

This is what I thought. I think that as this puzzle was originally made non-jumbling, it should remain non-jumbling. :D I know some people like the jumbling though, so don't attack me. :wink:

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:39 pm 

Leslie Le wrote:
The puzzle is designed to be able to jumble...

If so why make two different types of edges? Why give the corners and hex face centers a physically visible orientation?
Leslie Le wrote:
...you can normally detect a jumbling move by force exerted. I use this to test in part to detect wrong installations.

Again why did you want this? If the puzzle was doctrinaire all the turns would feel identical and a "wrong installation" wouldn't be possible.
Leslie Le wrote:
Although I checked every Tuttminx for jumbling/wrong installation, but apparently there are still leaks. I am fully aware of it and I put in there 4 redundant parts, two caps and two edges, in case wrong parts were installed. If there is a large/small edge being replaced by a small/large edge, then use these redundant parts.

See I view this as alot of work and extra costs (more molds, extra pieces, your time, etc.) if the puzzle had been designed with "jumbling" in mind. And actually this isn't what I consider jumbling but I go into that above.

Personally without having the doctrinaire nature of a truely fudged design than, I'd almost prefer this puzzle to clearly block the 60 degree turns and have it be a true Tuttminx.

Just my 2 cents,
Carl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:51 pm 

mizzle576 wrote:
alaskajoe wrote:
Well said.

I agree.... BUT... this is NOT jumbling. This is a fudged turn. If this was a jumbling turn the cuts would line up exactly (like they do on your helicopter cube) and there again wouldn't be issues with different turns requiring different force, etc.

The problem I see here is it appears to be a forced fudged turn without the puzzle being fudged.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:37 pm 

@Alex: Sorry to have kept you waiting. I receive the first report of receiving from Germany on 20th. For stickering suggestion, please visit http://www.verypuzzle.com/index.php?rou ... ation_id=7

@wwwmwww: Let me explain a bit if you are interested. First I draw a normal Tuttminx with curved cuts, then I wondered whether it can be jumbled. Without leaving large gaps, theoretically it seems that it can't be made jumblable, as you may know.

Apparently, I will never accept large gaps in such a big puzzle because this will spoil a normal Tuttminx and it should be done when prototyping rather than mass production. So I tried to find other jumbling ways out, as an additional feature. So, this is a designed result.

There have to be two types of edges with all necessary constrains in my head and orientations must be made. If you are just talking about the facial cutting lines rather than internal, yes at least face center can be designed to appear like no orientation(if you take internal shape into consideration, it must be oriented). Hopefully edges can be unified in the sense of the very external visibal face are identical.

The additional jumbling feature was achieved by identical tracks, close cones and a loose screw without loosing its natural beauty and proportion. Haven't it been designed to be jumbling, one can miss all of these factors. No, it is not a surprise after it was made. The quality of jumbling moves however, can be different from individual to individual. In overall, even with loose screws, moves can be resistant after several jumbling moves.

I guess maybe you think a jumbling puzzle must be perfectly and completely jumbling? As this can lead to a quite different design. Anyway just my guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:50 pm 

I'll chime in on something here. First off, this puzzles is amazing. I won't order it because I don't have 65$ to spent (it's 260 pesos in my country), and I never ordered anything online that required worlwide shipping, and I do have a little complex about that, but anyway.

I don't get why you guys just won't do 120º turns only on Hex faces. Doesn't that make it more interesting or hard? To have half the faces (are there 16 of each? I haven't noticed yet) only do 120º turns, to me sounds more interesting that having pieces dangerously in a position where the whole puzzles looses stability.

Incredible puzzle anyway, I do hope to get one eventually.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:11 pm 

Leslie Le wrote:
@Alex: Sorry to have kept you waiting. I receive the first report of receiving from Germany on 20th. For stickering suggestion, please visit http://www.verypuzzle.com/index.php?rou ... ation_id=7

Oh, nice, stickering tips and more photos :D

I wasn't complaining about the wait, I know shipping takes its time. Actually, you send the puzzle out very quickly and China post didn't take long either. So I was actually excited that it's already so close :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:43 pm 

Geez, I feel under attack:
samus88 wrote:
I don't get why you guys just won't do 120º turns only on Hex faces. Doesn't that make it more interesting or hard? To have half the faces (are there 16 of each? I haven't noticed yet) only do 120º turns, to me sounds more interesting that having pieces dangerously in a position where the whole puzzles looses stability.
APJ wrote:
This is what I thought. I think that as this puzzle was originally made non-jumbling, it should remain non-jumbling. :D I know some people like the jumbling though, so don't attack me. :wink:
mizzle576 wrote:
Well said. I agree with this because you have to force moves to jumble and after you do jumble, it is almost impossible to tell which pieces have been jumbled or not. Not that my opinion is any more correct than someone else's, but this is not made for jumbling. Stick to your helicopter cube for jumbling.
alaskajoe wrote:

First, I'm not insisting on doing fudging turns. I wasn't even planning on doing them. I loosened all of the faces which made regular turns very smooth and easy. By loosening the faces though it made accidental fudging quite easy (hard to avoid even). During the scramble I accidentally did some fudging moves. Once you do fudging moves you have changed the orientation of corners and swapped around edges that normally wouldn't be swapped. This makes all future normal moves with the fudged pieces fudging moves. It is hard to see if pieces are fudged out of their orbits and it is even harder to back out of the fudging.

Also, as you may know, the fudging moves make the puzzle easier to solve. It's just an extended Megaminx solve. If you think about the puzzle in that way then it is hard to stop yourself from doing the fudging moves since the puzzle makes the first few fudging moves quite easy. It isn't like the helicopter cube where you have to try to jumble it. If you aren't concentrating on not fudging this puzzle you will accidentally fudge it.

I am going to take the puzzle apart and re-assemble it solved. Then I am going to tighten down all of the screws so that even the first fudging move is a bit tight. I'm perfectly content not fudging this puzzle but it is going to take a lot of practice and time before it becomes second nature to avoid fudging. Until then it is going to take some concentration. I would have preferred to have the hex faces physically block the pentagonal faces when fudged.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:56 pm 

Leslie Le wrote:

Lol in this explanaition in the end it shows how to apply the stickers to the puzzle one by one. But once I have removed all the stuff around them I should be able to just use adhesive sheet right? I will try to do that for my part. I still have some of these adhesive thingies from my dayan gem purchase and I think a cube 4 you cuboid.
I'll look for them. That should cut the necessary time to 1% :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:19 pm 

Leslie Le wrote:
The additional jumbling feature was achieved by identical tracks, close cones and a loose screw without loosing its natural beauty and proportion.
Leslie,

I like your philosophy.
    Tight screws: jumbling puzzle
    Loose screws: fudged puzzle
Leslie Le wrote:
Apparently, I will never accept large gaps in such a big puzzle because this will spoil a normal Tuttminx and it should be done when prototyping rather than mass production.
The picture below shows how large the gaps would be. I agree that such gaps may be OK for a 3D-printed prototype, but not for a mass-produced puzzle.

Oskar
Attachment:
Futtminx v2 - view 1.jpg
Futtminx v2 - view 1.jpg [ 153.73 KiB | Viewed 5701 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:55 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
I'm pretty sure Oskar's Futtminx has these properties. Thought I'd prefer it to have the curved cuts which would allow the corners and edges to be larger and more in line with the size of the face centers.

I see you were listening Oskar. That looks great. It looks much better then the image you posted on page 1.
Oskar wrote:
The picture below shows how large the gaps would be. I agree that such gaps may be OK for a 3D-printed prototype, but not for a mass-produced puzzle.

I wouldn't say that. If I wanted a Futtminx I think this is the best way to go.

Carl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:36 pm 

Leslie Le wrote:
@wwwmwww: Let me explain a bit if you are interested.

Always interested. And please let me preface this by saying THANK YOU. You have taken a puzzle most never thought would be mass produced and produced it. The puzzle community is in your debt. I know I sound overly critical but its just that this puzzle excites me and I believe I see room for improvement. I'm trying to offer constructive criticism that I hope is helpful.
Leslie Le wrote:
I guess maybe you think a jumbling puzzle must be perfectly and completely jumbling? As this can lead to a quite different design. Anyway just my guess.

More or less yes... I think if you are going to allow fudging moves which allow two different types of pieces to occupy the same place then those two pieces should be made identical. It appears your intent was to make a puzzle that could both serve as a Tuttminx with tight screws and a Futtminx, fudged Tuttminx, with loose screws. I don't have the puzzle yet and it certainly is a nice idea as Oskar mentions. I just can't say how well you pulled that off. But it appears compromises were made that keep it from being as good a Tuttminx as it could be. As bmenrigh states its too easy to make fudging turns even when you don't want to. Your accommodations to allow these moves some are now seeing as a negative. I know that wasn't your intent.
bmenrigh wrote:
Then I am going to tighten down all of the screws so that even the first fudging move is a bit tight. I'm perfectly content not fudging this puzzle but it is going to take a lot of practice and time before it becomes second nature to avoid fudging. Until then it is going to take some concentration. I would have preferred to have the hex faces physically block the pentagonal faces when fudged.

If you want to make a Futtminx I personally (just my 2 cents) would have prefered the puzzle Oskar pictures above. Granted some might not like gaps but as an engineer I realize those gaps have a function and I (again just me) prefer function over aesthetics. I could take that one step further and say the engineer in me does find a beauty in those gaps but I think that just makes me sound like a geek. Ever since I had my first Rubik's cube I confess the aspect of twisty puzzles that fascinates me the most isn't the part about solving a puzzle (and yes I love puzzles too), it's a fasination with the engineering that goes into them that allows them to function.

If I sound like I'm trying to rain on the parade please let me know. That isn't my intent either.

Thanks again,
Carl

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:02 pm 

Leslie, will the Tuttminx be available as a DIY kit in the future? I'd like to save a few bucks if I could, even if it means putting this monster together myself. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:21 pm 

Jared wrote:
Leslie, will the Tuttminx be available as a DIY kit in the future? I'd like to save a few bucks if I could, even if it means putting this monster together myself. :lol:

I'm now afraid to talk about business related things here because there are many unpredictable things on my side and my incaution may disappoint customers. Anyway usually assembling puzzles by yourself means less labor in production, a lower price seems pretty credible.:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:30 pm 

Just finished my first solve of the Tuttminx. I haven't been able to dedicate myself to it for the past two days because of life obligations, but now I've got the flu and figured it was a perfect time to start the solve.

This puzzle IS NOT designed to jumble. Anymore then 2-3 jumbling turns around adjacent faces quickly renders the faces immobile.

I solved it as a "regular" Tuttminx, and found the whole puzzle, even the last few faces, completely intuitive. I used block building to solve it up until one pentagonal face and one hexagonal face remained. The smaller hexagonal face edges solved like Dinominx edges. The pentagonal face edges solve like megaminx edges. The corners were very, very intuitive to cycle around. The only orientation parity that exists is the edge parity found on the Dinominx. Total solve time was a little under an hour and a half.

Unlike you bmenrigh, I found it very difficult to accidentally jumble the puzzle. The three or four times I almost did, I was quickly halted by an almost impossible to turn face. I think perhaps you're screws are too loose. Mine are very tight and the puzzle still turns wonderfully, especially after the breaking in solve.

I love the puzzle Leslie, and can't wait to see what's next. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:13 pm 

EMarx wrote:
This puzzle IS NOT designed to jumble. Anymore then 2-3 jumbling turns around adjacent faces quickly renders the faces immobile.

I solved it as a "regular" Tuttminx, and found the whole puzzle, even the last few faces, completely intuitive. I used block building to solve it up until one pentagonal face and one hexagonal face remained. The smaller hexagonal face edges solved like Dinominx edges. The pentagonal face edges solve like megaminx edges. The corners were very, very intuitive to cycle around. The only orientation parity that exists is the edge parity found on the Dinominx. Total solve time was a little under an hour and a half.

Unlike you bmenrigh, I found it very difficult to accidentally jumble the puzzle. The three or four times I almost did, I was quickly halted by an almost impossible to turn face. I think perhaps you're screws are too loose. Mine are very tight and the puzzle still turns wonderfully, especially after the breaking in solve.

You should read through Leslie's posts in this thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:59 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
You should read through Leslie's posts in this thread.

I have previously, and don't see how they pertain to my post.

Leslie did design the puzzle with jumbling in mind, but it doesn't change what I said. The puzzle is very unsuccessful at jumbling, even with the screws loose. As such, I tightened my screws rather tight to avoid the "accidental" jumbling that bmenrigh encountered.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:02 pm 

Just made this unboxing video and close up look- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpF1Nhgpk8E . Puzzle works really well. My only tiny complaint is that it took over an hour to remove the material from around the stickers. As a non collector this is yet another puzzle I had to get anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:05 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
My only tiny complaint is that it took over an hour to remove the material from around the stickers. As a non collector this is yet another puzzle I had to get anyway.

Here! Here! I had the same issue with the stickers. The waste took longer to remove than stickering the bloody thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:27 pm 

Is there a reason you have to remove the waste material? if your not applying all the stickers at once couldn't you just remove the stickers one by one still? kind of like cubesmith tiles if you dont remove the excess(I don't)

I plan on getting one of these so I am curious as to what you guys think?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 pm 

Muffet wrote:
Is there a reason you have to remove the waste material? if your not applying all the stickers at once couldn't you just remove the stickers one by one still? kind of like cubesmith tiles if you dont remove the excess(I don't)

I plan on getting one of these so I am curious as to what you guys think?

By removing the waste you can then use an applicator (or whatever they are called).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:39 pm 

at the risk of trying to teach Tony how to make puzzles....
isn't the idea of the application tape that you don't have to remove the waste?
just put it over the stickers, press down on the stickers and peel off....the waste *should* remain on the sticker sheet while the stickers will now be on the application tape ready to be applied.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:47 pm 

Zzupler wrote:
at the risk of trying to teach Tony how to make puzzles....
isn't the idea of the application tape that you don't have to remove the waste?
just put it over the stickers, press down on the stickers and peel off....the waste *should* remain on the sticker sheet while the stickers will now be on the application tape ready to be applied.

If you put application tape over all of the stickers with the waste all of the sticker and the waste will come up, application tape isn't for the waste too it sticks to everything.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:57 pm 

when i stickered my cubes i did it the way i have just described and it works perfectly...if you press on the stickers it will be more attached to them than to the waste.
- why do you think it is not suitable for the waste? it's possible i am getting two different methods confused.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:00 pm 

Maybe the stickers were larger for the puzzles you used this for? I think that the stickers are pretty small for this puzzle.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:03 pm 

if it's the clear sticky sheet that we are talking about then pressing on the sticker areas and peeling off will work regardless of the size of the stickers.....if it's a different method anything is possible :lol:

check out this link at the 1.30 to 2 min mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGLUnY-L9BU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:17 pm 

Zzupler, I was agreeing with you as I was reading the posts, but after seeing Tony's video, I see why he removed the waste.

I don't think I like this fudged jumbling. I think "fumbling" is a good term for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 pm 

hmm after watching the video (my God what a beautiful puzzle!, i could look at videos of it all day!) i can see that the stickers are quite small, i wonder if they are printed with the right space between them to use the application tape as in the video... this would be the only reason not to use it this way as the size of the individual sticker shouldn't matter.... only if the space between them does not hold true for the puzzle.

also i am inclined to agree about the "fumbling" i am not too keen on it, but i would be able to put up with it to look at the puzzle...now where to find $65.......

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:12 am 

The problem I had with these isn't so much the size of the stickers but with the depth of the cuts. I had many that I needed to eyeball and use an exacto knife on. Application tape can't do this job I'm afraid! It's a royal pain!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:13 am 

I decided to leave the pentagonal faces unstickered, so that accidental fumbling is easier to avoid. This gives rise to identical pent-hex edges, but that does not make it much easier to solve.

I solved it as follows:
1. Solve everything except 5 hexagonal faces around 1 pentagonal face. This was mostly done by slotting in corner-edge pairs.
2. Build edge triplets consisting of hex-hex edges and their two adjacent corners.
3. Solve the pent-hex edges.
4. Solve the edge triplets.

Jaap's Puzzle Page:
http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:25 am 

I got my puzzle too. Really good quality, good plastic, great stickers. I like the building of it. I don't regret getting this puzzle and recommend others to buy it, even there are a few complaints below.

I have to mention that I totally agree with Carl, Emarx, bmenrigh and others here. This puzzle is NOT built for jumbling. If you do a few jumbling moves it will become impossible to turn later. And yes, I loosened the screws and did everything that was necessary as Leslie described. I'm not a beginner in setting a puzzle. I'm not interested at all in these jumbling moves and I am pleased with the regular moves very well, but when I read it is possible I thought I'd try. And I tried and tried for a while, set the tension again and so on...no result. I'm just a bit upset that I had to spend 3 hours in doing this and having to disassemble and reassemble the whole puzzle back.

So, please don't claim this puzzle can do some moves that it obviously wasn't designed for. I think it's not even healthy for the puzzle as it forces it and might harm the centers in time.
It's like selling a stool and claiming it is intended also to use it as a table. Yes, you can, but...

I recommend everyone to tighten the screws even more, to avoid the accidental jumbling moves and use it like a regular Tuttminx! (if you don't want to waste a few hours in trying to do the impossible). This summarizes everything quite well.

bmenrigh wrote:
I am going to take the puzzle apart and re-assemble it solved. Then I am going to tighten down all of the screws so that even the first fudging move is a bit tight. I'm perfectly content not fudging this puzzle but it is going to take a lot of practice and time before it becomes second nature to avoid fudging. Until then it is going to take some concentration. I would have preferred to have the hex faces physically block the pentagonal faces when fudged.
wwwmwww wrote:
Personally without having the doctrinaire nature of a truely fudged design than, I'd almost prefer this puzzle to clearly block the 60 degree turns and have it be a true Tuttminx.

Just my 2 cents,
Carl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:59 am 

Having read this entire thread, I can honestly say that the jumbling issue is something that should have been avoided to start with. Between Oskar's Futtminx mockup and Tutt's original Tuttminx, you have two completely different puzzles. One could be thought of as a Rubik's Cube that only does half-turns. The other could be thought of as a Rubik's Cube that does quarter turns as well. The solving process for each is totally different. The same could be said of Tuttminx. While I have not received mine yet, it clearly seems this issue could have been avoided during the design phase by making the rotational grooves either deeper or shallower on the Pentagons compared to the Hexagons. While this would likely have had the aesthetic effect of breaking the appearance of six-fold symmetry on the Hexagon faces, it would have resulted in a much more stable puzzle. It would have become physically impossible to rotate any face adjacent to a 60-degree-rotated hexagon, in addition to making it making it difficult to assemble the puzzle incorrectly. As it stands, it seems that you have made the rotational grooves on the Pentagonal faces congruent to the rotational grooves on the Hexagon faces. This allows an adjacent face to rotate, in that the grooves match but not the angles and lateral spacing. This creates a "push-and-shove" problem for the pieces that are incorrectly positioned: Some pieces are forced into spaces that are physically too small, while other pieces leave gaps in areas that are slightly too large. The more gaps that are created, the more cramming goes on elsewhere. When the puzzle is loosened to allow for a small amount of cramming, the jumbling moves commense. This leads to more pieces out of align, more gaps and more "crammed" parts. This uneven loading within the puzzle eventually jams it up. Furthermore, it is now nearly impossible to realign everything and undo the damage without either retracing one's steps or disassembling the puzzle.

It really seems that you may have released a functional prototype to mass market. I know that retooling is an expensive process, but many mass-market items normally are passed sometimes go through several design revisions before their final release to the market. But at risk of losing credulity of my entire post, I must refrain from passing further judgement until I have actually received my Tuttminx in the mail. Hopefully mine will behave well. I recommend people who do not wish to jumble their Tuttminx place hash-marks on the pentagon faces to identify them as an additional precaution.

= = = = = = =

EDIT: I have attempted to track my package, order #43 (January 12, 2011), with the following result, last updated January 17 (ten days ago)
Quote:
item No. Year Status Destination Country Location Date
---tracking #--- 2011 出口总包直封封发 北京国际 2011-01-17
Directly translated using Google, the status message reads this criptic:
Quote:
Export direct closure sealing of the total package
and the location is "Begjing International". What does this mean? Is it in the United States yet? Why has my status not been updated in ten days? What about estimated time of arrival? :scrambled:

Has anyone else living in the United States, and used the cheap $4.95 Priority Mail shipping option, received theirs yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:58 am 

Zzupler wrote:
if it's the clear sticky sheet that we are talking about then pressing on the sticker areas and peeling off will work regardless of the size of the stickers.....if it's a different method anything is possible :lol:

As Rox said the problem is that the cuts are not deep enough on the sticker sets so there is no easy way to apply them. BTW I have only ever applied machine cut sticker sets about 3 times before so cannot comment on which way it should be done.

As for the jumbling, I was tempted to sticker it like my Junior Truncated Dogic. Meffert's style textured stickers doubled up on the pentagons and normal on the others. This way it would be like Lee's prototype where the pentagon stickers are very different looking to the hexagon ones so jumbling could more easily be avoided if so desired.

It's still a fantastic puzzle though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:03 am 

Hi All,

I'm still happy with my TuttMinx, I decided not to tune it for fudging. If I do, I probably will buy a second one.

Two remarks:
- I would like to suggest to move posts with comments on solving to a thread in the 'solving' section. i know there's a large gap between comments on general solving concepts and an explicit alg for swapping hex-hex edges, but I would really like to solve everything by myself.

- Is there anybody happy with jumbling? Does a hex-face still turn freely with six 'wrong' edges and six rotated corners? Can you post a photo? When I try to jumble a face looks a bit 'beat up' after two turns....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:39 am 

@Stardust, you can track it Here as well and it's in english. Like you my package has left Beijing on the 17th and hasn't been updated since.

Also, you can track it here, it's the same website you went to, only in english.

I guess with Chinese new year coming up, the mail system is being backed up, although the 17th was pretty early. I also have the excuse of living in the Northeast which was hit by storm after storm, further delaying my mail.

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:12 am 

It's great that you guys are receiving Tuttminxes and I'm receiving your feedbacks.

@Tony, Rox: I have got feedbacks on stickers. There are slight differences between different colored stickers but the cutting machine was working with fixed parameters. I have adjusted it to achieve uniform effect. In case you've broken your stickers, don't worry. You can get new stickers from us for free. We have a warranty plan and it will be online during the New Year Holiday.

Being able to commute edges of pentagons and hexgons is a designed additional feature of this Tuttminx rather than an accidental failure or surprise. I'm intentionally avoiding the particular word which I was a bit confused.

The situation of casual jumbling moves is similar to casual normal moves. A standard Tuttminx doesn't solve this problem. It is very important, however, to be able to tell a jumbled state from a normal state so that you can recover easily. I have listened to your voices and am working on this problem. Also, Lee has proposed his suggestion of using mosaic stickers to me. Currently my solutions include sticker variant and solid coloring. In case you have better ideas, I'm all ears.

Shipping is unstable near the Chinese New Year, say, one month before and one month after the holiday. In fact, most things become chaos near the end of lunar year here. I was ramped by a logistic company a few days before, for example. Fortunately I got it through by paying extra money. Anyway I will try to follow every package I sent and keep you informed if necessary. Feel free to send us inquiries if you have any problems.

Enjoy!

Leslie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:22 pm 

Tony Fisher wrote:
Just made this unboxing video and close up look- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpF1Nhgpk8E . Puzzle works really well. My only tiny complaint is that it took over an hour to remove the material from around the stickers. As a non collector this is yet another puzzle I had to get anyway.

Aww... :( you beat me to doing an unboxing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNCg4MuMBZM

P.S. Would you please unblock me from you channel? Youtube name is jak343434.

Pyraminx:0:02.45/0:06.81/07.50
Really want a Master and Elite Pyraminx, a Tuttminx... Oh wait... I can has that now!!!

Last edited by jak3434 on Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:34 pm 

stardust4ever wrote:
While I have not received mine yet, it clearly seems this issue could have been avoided during the design phase by making the rotational grooves either deeper or shallower on the Pentagons compared to the Hexagons. While this would likely have had the aesthetic effect of breaking the appearance of six-fold symmetry on the Hexagon faces, it would have resulted in a much more stable puzzle.
If you make the deeper and shallower cuts only at the inside, nobody would see it. I believe that Hidetoshi Takeji was the first person who first came up with that idea to build a perfectly functioning Half Turn Cube that looks exactly like a 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube.

Oskar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:35 pm 

so is this sorta like a megaminx, but each side has 6 edges?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:47 pm 

jerry533482 wrote:
so is this sorta like a megaminx, but each side has 6 edges?

It is similar to a megaminx, but it has 20 sides with 6 edges, and 12 sides with 5 edges.

-Mark- :)

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Squiggle is such a funny word to say out loud. Squiggle! :lol:

I am with Frank's Family

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 am 

Tuttminx or V7... i can only get one.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:51 am 

Ok I'm trying to "rub it in" or anything, but everyone did see my comments on this puzzle right?
Leslie Le wrote:
The puzzle is designed to be able to jumble

Allagem wrote:
Assuming these 60 degree turns are possible, they do not block off any moves after any valid rotation and although a pentagon/hexagon edge can flip orientation and thus guarantee that the puzzle must change shape (even if by only a little), the very fact that the puzzle is fudged to allow the 60 degree rotation to happen in the first place implies that the same fudging of the mechanicsm of the pentagon/hexagon edge must be just as compatible when oriented the other way. Now it could be that this fudging factor adds up and having too many pentagon/hexagon edges oriented backwards in the same face makes the mechanism too tight to turn

Allagem wrote:
This puzzle has to be fudged in orded to operate, so yes it is possible to get the pieces into a state where a cut does not line up perfectly. But the same fudging required to allow the move to be possible in the first place should also allow these moves to happen. I am also really starting to believe my earlier statement: if too many pieces are locally fudged (by this I mean many pieces in close proximity are in a state where they are exploiting the fudging aspect of the puzzle and the space they are in is either slightly larger or slightly smaller than they really need), I think the mechanism might get too tight or too loose causing pieces to get jammed, pop out, or fall out. I would really like to see a full scramble implementing these 60 degree turns. I suspect there may be issues if it gets scrambled enough....

There were many quotes to choose from once orders were completed. As an example,
Radu wrote:
This puzzle is NOT built for jumbling. If you do a few jumbling moves it will become impossible to turn later.

:|

As Oskar has shown us with his Futtminx design, it is possible to use fudging to allow geometries that do not naturally occur, like the 60 degree turns, by making mechansims that allow for some small errors. However, it is clearly very tricky to get right and in this case the fudging did not completely resolve the misalignment issues. I have no desire to attack Leslie here as I think he is a great designer, but perhaps this "error" could have been noticed if a sample of the puzzle was completely tested (completely scrambled) using these "jumbling" moves before mass-producing and selling it :?
Nevertheless, the other aspects of the puzzle design seem to be excellent and Leslie, you have made an amazing puzzle available for many people at a VERY reasonable price. I do not wish to point out your mistakes. I was only wondering why no one has noticed that ... well, I sort of called it :| (though I know several others, including stardust4ever, MonkeyZ, and Carl [wwwmwww] at least suspected it as well [PuzzleMaster6262 was probably getting confused because his intuition told him the puzzle should not be able to be fully scrambled, and in that sense he was on the right track as well])

Also, as Carl, GuiltyBystander, and myself have said or alluded to, nothing about this puzzle is jumbling!!!!!

The original Tuttminx was never and still isn't a jumbling puzzle. The internal geometry does not line up for the 60 degree turns. It's like putting a square peg through a round hole. If you push REALLY hard, you might stretch enough of the components to force the move to happen, but there is no "perfect" way of dealing with this on all sides of the puzzle. The dihedral angles simply aren't equal. :roll:

Leslie's mass produced Tuttminx is displaying FUDGED properties whenever a 60 degree turn is attempted. I don't know if any geometrical elements were actually altered in an attempt to create a fudged design, but the loosening of the screws certainly is one way to fudge the design a little. ASSUMING this fudging actually fixed the problem and did not cause jamming (apparently rather severe jamming, judging from some of these comments), then every move would be available at all times, just like Oskar's illegal cube (already mentioned several times in this thread). The only thing that I see could be a potential question is when enough of the 60 degree turns get pieces that seem to refuse to line up. This is an unintended side affect of the improper fudging. If these fudged moves do cause jamming, it isn't due to a mathematically jumbling configuration. If nothing else, the fact that you could probably FORCE 60 degree rotations even when these jams occur [and that the amount of forcing a face can take probably varies over the whole puzzle] should be enough to convince everyone that this is not the same type of behavior seen on a helicopter cube, a Meteor Madness, or any of the other wonderful puzzles that have been identified as jumbling. How can you define a geometrical relationship when its existence depends on how much force is applied or what run of the production the puzzle you are using was produced from, or whether or not the grain of touching pieces line up? The point being: this is a result of an improper fudged mechanism, not a geometrical instance of jumbling.

Likewise, Oskar's Futtminx is in no way jumbling. NO MOVE IS EVER BLOCKED! Need I say more? :wink:

I just wish to give a logical guide that others may (or may not) choose to follow or agree with. I hope no one feels attacked by this comment :?

Maybe now is good time to say the reason I always sign my posts the way I do is to show my sincere desire to never give the impression that I am trying to attack anyone or make someone feel stupid. This is a forum for learning and sharing ideas, not judging :)

Peace,
Matt Galla

PS: If anyone feels this post should be editted for any reason, p.m. me and I will most likely oblige. I don't wish to create any hard feelings here :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:25 pm 

I received today and all was ok

only stickered was a problem ( a lot of work ¡¡¡¡¡ )

recommended puzzle :wink:

Attachments:
DSC0436811.jpg
DSC0436811.jpg [ 66.68 KiB | Viewed 4628 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:23 am 

I also received mine yesterday. It took me about three hours to choose the colors, weed the stickers, decide on the color scheme and then apply them one by one.

I loosened the screws by a quarter of a turn and the turning is great now. Then I tried mixing it up without jumbling only to notice after about 20 turns that I accidentally jumbled it :shock: Somehow I managed to reverse all the moves and get it back to solved. It looks like this is one of those puzzles that take ages to mix properly. I've now mixed it a second time and will start solving it as soon as it gets light outside, so I can easily tell the colours apart :lol:

Here's the colours I've chosen all paired up (opposite faces):

Attachment:
tuttminxstickers.jpg
tuttminxstickers.jpg [ 62.12 KiB | Viewed 4564 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:19 am 

Good luck Alex! Some of the faces with that color scheme seems like they would easily confuse themselves to me. You've got 2 sets of opposite light blue-dark blue hexagonal faces as well as some of the light yellows are very close and the reds are impossibly close shades to me too. I bet it will look incredible stickered, but I should wouldn't want to solve it. :lol: :scrambled:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:23 am 

Well, the four colors I didn't use were black, bright purple, fluorescent orange and fluorescent pink. While the last two would certainly be easily distinguishable from any of the other color I just didn't like them and black just wasn't an option on a black puzzle.

All in all it's not too bad since each edge piece is identified by two colors and each corner piece by three. So, even if two edges have similar shades of blue the other two colors on them will be easy to tell apart. As long as you don't put three blue faces around the same corner or something... :lol: And even then you can deduce the correct orientation from the shape of the piece.

The light yellows and the reds are easy to tell apart in real life. Then again, maybe women really can distinguish more shades of red and you guys are out of luck :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:08 am 

Alex wrote:
Here's the colours I've chosen all paired up (opposite faces):
I'm not sure making opposites close would be the best option. Wouldn't that make you have pairs of pieces that are extremely close?

Alex wrote:
All in all it's not too bad since each edge piece is identified by two colors and each corner piece by three. So, even if two edges have similar shades of blue the other two colors on them will be easy to tell apart. As long as you don't put three blue faces around the same corner or something... :lol: And even then you can deduce the correct orientation from the shape of the piece.
If you're not jumbling, corners and edges have no rotation. So an all blue corner wouldn't be that bad unless you had several all blue corners. I'm beginning to think that trying to replicate Olivér Nagy's Tone Cube could be a good option.

My Tuttminx should arrive today. I guess I get to start the battle against the stickers soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:15 pm 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
I'm not sure making opposites close would be the best option. Wouldn't that make you have pairs of pieces that are extremely close?

It would be a very bad idea if all the opposite pairs were very close. But to me only the shades of blue are sometimes indistinguishable. I put bright/darker colours on one side of the puzzle and the lighter ones on the other. So each similarly coloured edge/corner comes in "dark" and "light" versions. I've done the same with all my minxes and didn't have any trouble finding the pieces. I'll let you know how it works with a few more colours added to the mix. I've only solved one face so far, because I have some urgent work to do over the weekend :(

GuiltyBystander wrote:
I'm beginning to think that trying to replicate Olivér Nagy's Tone Cube could be a good option.

I also thought of the Tone Cube when I laid out all the stickers according to shades. It would be very interesting to see if the stickers that come with the tuttminx can be applied in this way so that colors close in shades are close on the cube. That's a good point you make with the orientations being determined when not jumbling. Someone should really try this stickering pattern :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next