Hello Twisty Puzzlers. I'd like to introduce my first ever mod: a simple spin on an old mod: The Pillowed Fisher Cube!
100_5811.JPG [ 698.9 KiB | Viewed 1725 times ]
100_5820.JPG [ 935.18 KiB | Viewed 1725 times ]
100_5814.JPG [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 1725 times ]
This puzzle has taken me about 2 months actually, but only maybe 10 hours total time. The reason it took so long is my indiscisiveness!
It started as an old Rubik's store-bought that was filled with Vaseline and barely even turned. I decided to make my first ever mod from it.
I first made a circular barrel. But then I truncated that into an octogonal barrel. Then I decided to make a fisher Cube instead. Then I pillowed it (with sandpaper) to add origionality!
I then painstakingly sanded and spray painted all of the parts with old black paint I had laying around. I lubed it with CRC and removed the Vaseline.
The stickers were hand-cut using Cubesmith Vinyl, with Scissors. Not bad for a first try, eh?
100_5815.JPG [ 995.2 KiB | Viewed 1725 times ]
Here is how much it is pillowed.
100_5816.JPG [ 807 KiB | Viewed 1725 times ]
As you can see, all sides are pillowed.
To my knowledge, this Puzzle HAS been made before but no pictures or topic ever made.
Again, go easy, this is my first mod.
Stay tuned for my next Skewb-Based mod which just needs to be refined a bit! (it's another Tony Fisher Puzzle)
Thanks to Tony Fisher for The original cube idea and to my parents for the money for the vinyl and Milliput!
EDIT: Here is a scrambled pic. Enjoy!
100_5821.JPG [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 1717 times ]
Adam Brown, Puzzle Builder/Modder
Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.