Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Crazy 3x3x3 in solid black have arrived
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:57 am 

I have now received two solid black Crazy 3x3x3 Plus (Mars & Saturn). Delivery took quite a while and I had to travel to the customs office again. (BTW, you can choose the colour during the ordering process in a comment.)

See this topic.

Even after some breaking in and lubrication, they turn not as smoothly as the coloured versions – but acceptable still.
I had to sticker them myself and it was a bit of a pain. :(
In principle, I like stickering, but in this case the stickers did not come off the delivery sheet, easily. They were not duly cut, very often. I had to use scissors in many cases.
No chance using the application sheet (I’m not using application sheets anyway)!
I’ll admit that they look nicer than the coloured plastic, on the other hand the feeling without the stickers is better.
So, my verdict is: lot of work (stickers) & nicer look versus no work at all & better turning & nicer feeling & never worry about peeling stickers.
Make up your mind yourself. You might guess, which version I’ll get, whenever I’ll order the last two missing planets.
The challenge will be always the same!

Regarding the challenge:
As I have not received many replies to my earlier threads viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18427 and viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17134&p=214331#p214331, my guess is that not many have taken on that challenge. Instead, it had been discussed, how much nicer a “real circle cube” would be :roll: (pretty boring experience as has been pointed out earlier) and how much nicer solid black is (see my verdict above) :roll: :roll: .

I’m ordering the six planets and the “normal circle” by difficulty (1 the easiest 7 the hardest) as I have perceived it.
1. Normal circle Cube (boringly easy)
2. Jupiter
3. Mercury
4. Neptune
5. Earth
6. Mars (Venus, Earth, Mars very close together)
7. Saturn (maybe there are better strategies, but with my method it is quite a bit harder than Mars / Earth / Neptune

Be sure that each of them provides a different challenge and you'll have no chance just applying standard algorithms. I like the concept a lot :)

Post subject: Re: Crazy 3x3x3 in solid black have arrived
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:06 am 

Lucky you! I am still waiting for mine to arrive! I intend to switch one of the centers with a fixed one from my regular one to get a regular Circle Cube tho.

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:13 am 

Where did you bought them ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:18 am 

WilliamF wrote:
Where did you bought them ?
At mf8 shop http://shop.mf8.com.cn/goods.php?id=59

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:33 am 

Bump (but not a bad one, I hope :) )

I've now posted in several threads about the Crazy 3x3x3 Plus

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18918&hilit=+crazy&p=230894#p230894
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=18427
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17134&p=214331#p214331
and I did not think that is appropriate to open yet another thread for it.

On the other hand, I wanted to let you know that I've received yesterday my last two of the whole series (from Meffert's):
Uranus and Venus

Here are all of them:

I will not elaborate more on the different difficulties, but the last two, Uranus and Venus, are certainly not harder than the Saturn. Saturn is for me still the hardest.
Is there really nobody out there, who has solved them all and has an opinion about them? :roll:

Four of them have the exact specified colour scheme, four of them differ, but I have never cared much about this.
The relative order of moving and stationary faces has been always as specified, though.

As all of you know (all who are intested in the subject, that is), you can easily create all different puzzle types by just ordering two cubes (including what people call a normal circle cube). I have wanted to have them all in my collection. Now this little project is done and I'll (probably) never bother you again with a post about the Crazy 3x3x3 Plus. :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:02 am 

Can't tell from what I see but how are the different planet cubes have different difficulty? They look all the same to m?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:15 am 

Well, it is rather odd, each cube is bandaged somewhat, and each in different ways.
I don't have any, but what I'm almost positive this means is that for each particular cube, one face might turn completely, while on another cube, the circular are remains in it's original position. The pattern is different on each version of these cubes, so you get a different solving challenge on each different cube.

I probably explained this horribly, but if you can understand I'm happy :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:01 am 

ENCuber wrote:
Well, it is rather odd, each cube is bandaged somewhat, and each in different ways.
I don't have any, but what I'm almost positive this means is that for each particular cube, one face might turn completely, while on another cube, the circular are remains in it's original position. The pattern is different on each version of these cubes, so you get a different solving challenge on each different cube.

I probably explained this horribly, but if you can understand I'm happy :lol:
You are explaining it pretty well.
This picture describes the eight types:

The X (=0) symbol stands for a stationary face, the + (=1) symbol for a moving face.

The centre pieces are designed differently for moving faces (where all pieces inside the circle move with the face turned) and stationary faces (where all pieces inside the circle do not move, when the face is turned).
Indeed, all eight provide a different challenge. They are named after the eight planets in our solar system. (Poor Pluto has never had a chance getting a puzzle name assigned to it :) Probably, the regular circle Cube can be called Pluto? :) )
Jupiter e.g. has 5 moving faces, while Mercury has only one. If you buy those two, you have got 6 moving and 6 stationary centre pieces in total. You can then take off the centre caps, unscrew the centre pieces and mix and merge the centre pieces to create one of the 6 remaining "planets" (or a regular circle cube, where all six faces are stationary. This last one is not harder to solve than a 3x3x3 Supercube, but it looks pretty impressive, when you are showing it to your friends)
I wouldn't call this odd, all eight (or nine, if you include the regular circle cube) are just different puzzles, some of them quite challenging.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:46 pm 

I will try not to break any forum rules, excuse me if I fail :oops: here I go:

These solid cubes are being sold from several months ago in a famous bid place, and they are sold with an extra set of center pieces so that you can make any combination you want without having to buy googols of cubes. As every pieces sold are original, I suposse it is not a KO cube, but one never knows...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 pm 

Bit of a bump but I just finished solving Mercury and Jupiter and had to say that I love these puzzles. When I first saw Dayan post these, I though it was going to be a lot of hard work and voodoo to get them back to the solved state. I'm definitely going to buy the rest of the planets. I'm still a little weary of the other planets, but I look forward to the challenge now.

I would highly recommend that everyone get a Jupiter if nothing else. The circle pairing phase is highly enjoyable and more intuitive than the edge pairing on a 5x5.

My only disappointment is that they do jam quite a bit, but that's kind of expected with all the extra pieces.

Here's my ordering for difficulty, I hope I can update it with the others soon. I'll try adding a sense of difficulty jump.
1.0 Normal Cube
1.1 Normal Circle Cube
2.0 Jupiter
2.2 Mercury

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:47 am 

Where would it be possible to get a black "normal" cercle cube? Or aren't they mass produced?
Thanks folks :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:10 am 

Jason wrote:
Where would it be possible to get a black "normal" cercle cube? Or aren't they mass produced?

Sadly they aren't, I really want one too. :( I think that they aren't mass-produced as it is no more challenging than a picture cube, but I still like the look and don't want a crazy one.

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:22 am 

Jason wrote:

If you have two of the crazy ones, maybe you can make one "normal" circle cube by switching the center cubie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:38 pm 

Cielo wrote:
If you have two of the crazy ones, maybe you can make one "normal" circle cube by switching the center cubie.
Definitely!!! If you buy a Mercury and a Jupiter you will have 6 moving and 6 stationary centres and can create all 8 planets, one after the other. This includes the "normal" circle cube as well.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:03 pm 

APJ wrote:
[I] don't want a crazy one.
I would really encourage you to get a Jupiter. It is quite easy once you wrap your head around it. It isn't nearly as hard as your first impression thinks it is.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:53 pm 

GuiltyBystander wrote:
APJ wrote:
[I] don't want a crazy one.
I would really encourage you to get a Jupiter. It is quite easy once you wrap your head around it. It isn't nearly as hard as your first impression thinks it is.

Yeah, I'm sure I could figure a crazy one out, but I like the idea of the normal circle cube. :D I don't really like how only some of the faces are bandaged on the planet ones. :D

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:34 pm 

APJ wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure I could figure a crazy one out, but I like the idea of the normal circle cube. :D I don't really like how only some of the faces are bandaged on the planet ones. :D

Alex
Do you have any "super" 3x3x3s which require orientation of the centers? The normal circle cube solves exactly the same way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:23 pm 

Volitar Prime wrote:
APJ wrote:

Alex
Do you have any "super" 3x3x3s which require orientation of the centers? The normal circle cube solves exactly the same way.

I know that. :wink:

APJ wrote:
it is no more challenging than a picture cube

I have some 3x3x3 shape mods which require centre orientation, but I still want a normal circle cube. :D

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:33 pm 

I said it in the other topic, not all collectors want a puzzle for the challenge, but for the symmetry, the look, the idea that Aleh's original Circle Cube was unbandaged. Collecting is personal taste, and while you may find a regular circle 3x3 boring, different collectors may want it for different reasons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:05 pm 

Just got the full coulor mecury version~

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:21 pm 

These crazy 3x3x3 have cought my interest.
But I am only interested in the "boring" crazy 3x3x3, that has the "0" feature (statory center) on all faces.
I am wondering if anyone who has disassembled any one of those cubes can tell me if you really have to buy a pair of them to change center cubies OR if you can easily (fairly easily for a non builder) build it by transforming the puzzle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:42 pm 

Is this kit still available? If so where? I'd love to have a kit which could be used to build any of the Crazy 3x3x3s including the normal one without the need to buy multiple puzzles.

A kit like this would be even nicer when it comes to the crazy megaminx which has (82 or 96)? possible combinations. Its not just an issue of cost but of space.

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:13 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Is this kit still available? If so where? I'd love to have a kit which could be used to build any of the Crazy 3x3x3s including the normal one without the need to buy multiple puzzles.

A kit like this would be even nicer when it comes to the crazy megaminx which has (82 or 96)? possible combinations. Its not just an issue of cost but of space.

Carl

Mine is the kit version and it's a gift from Bao, the designer. So I don't know if it is still available.

As to the crazy megaminx, both numbers are correct. If you take the mirror-symmetric ones as the same, then it has 82 combinations. Otherwise 96.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:00 pm 

I got the Crazy 3x3 Mars for Christmas. This is my first of any type of crazy cube, and so far I find it great! :D

It took me a couple of days to solve the Mars puzzle. I didn't really know where I was going at first, but it all worked out in the end. I will definitely be getting more of the planets offered. I wish I had checked this thread and realized that Mars was one of the harder ones before I asked for it, but it was definitely a fun, completely new challenge to me. I can't wait to see more of these puzzles in the future, whether they are 3x3s or Megaminxs.