Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: 1x1 mods by Owl ( updated)
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am
Location: Somewhere
This is pillowed 1x1 is the beginning of my new proposition: new puzzles every week!
I’m as excited as you are and now the puzzle.
This 1x1 I made it a while go with hand painted stickers and Rubik’s cube logo I thought I release it and a better version coming soon. The 1x1 was made with my top secret method (ssssshhhh)

video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPk_BPtQrDs

this is the best the pictures will get even with macro feature im sorry but the only thing in my power is improve the lighting.

and please discus the puzzle not quality of pictures its the same camera used on the x-cube.


Attachments:
DSCI1067.JPG
DSCI1067.JPG [ 2.7 MiB | Viewed 3005 times ]
DSCI1065.JPG
DSCI1065.JPG [ 2.64 MiB | Viewed 3005 times ]

_________________
i like pineapple My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/0wlstudioz


Last edited by 0wlstudioz on Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
While I am impressed by the mechanism ( :) ), I think the presentation can be vastly improved.

Please correct the spelling, punctuation, capitalization and grammar. Please take the time to use full words as well.

For better pictures: Back up! Getting too close will give you a bunch of fuzzy pixels. Better to back up and get it in focus. Even if you have to crop out half of your picture half resolution detail is better than full resolution blur.

I look forward to the edited version of this post.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:56 am
Location: Cowtown
Very interesting, i could never figure out one of those :D . For your next puzzle, make a void 1x1!

_________________
Sincerely, Wenceslas


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am
Location: Somewhere
Flargus wrote:
Very interesting, i could never figure out one of those :D . For your next puzzle, make a void 1x1!

you read my mind! :shock: :lol:

_________________
i like pineapple My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/0wlstudioz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:58 pm
Location: Louisiana, US
DLitwin wrote:
While I am impressed by the mechanism ( :) ), I think the presentation can be vastly improved.

Please correct the spelling, punctuation, capitalization and grammar. Please take the time to use full words as well.

For better pictures: Back up! Getting too close will give you a bunch of fuzzy pixels. Better to back up and get it in focus. Even if you have to crop out half of your picture half resolution detail is better than full resolution blur.

I look forward to the edited version of this post.

Dave
That all depends on what type of camera he used. For many people, all they have is a cell phone.

If he took the picture with a cell phone or other embedded camera (highly likely), there is no focus at all - focus is permanently set to infinity at the factory! For example, if the aperture (which is also permanently fixed) is 2mm then there will always be 2mm of fuzz on every object, regardless of it's distance to the camera. Standing further away and cropping will not help. Zoom in and the fuzz will still be the same size in relation to small objects. Images snapped at more than a few feet appear razor sharp because the 2mm or so of fuzz that surrounds all objects ultimately becomes smaller than the pixels on the sensor.

Simple but relatively inexpensive "point-and-shoot" digital cameras will usually have a larger aperture with autofocus. It may have a minimum focus of a few inches to a couple feet, but any object in proper focus will be sharp; objects at other distances will show varying degrees of fuzz. Many cheaper camera models either focus on the closest object or at the center of the viewing field.

For more advanced stuff like impressive Depth-of-field effects, breathtaking night photos, etc, you'll probably need a DSLR (and know how to operate it). My Nikon L110 (kind of a high end point-and-shoot, $269) takes awesome macro shots down to less than 2 cm, enough to reveal the moire patterns in layered SLS puzzle parts :mrgreen:

_________________
My Creepy 3D Rubik's Cube Video
cisco wrote:
Yeah, Uwe is Dalai Lama and Paganotis is mother Teresa of Calcutta.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Chichester, England
Still very nice puzzle. It's funny how many mods you can make from a 1x1x1.

_________________
3x3x3 single: 5.73 seconds.
3x3x3 average of five: 8.92 seconds.
3x3x3 average of twelve: 9.77 seconds.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
stardust4ever wrote:
That all depends on what type of camera he used. For many people, all they have is a cell phone.

If he took the picture with a cell phone or other embedded camera (highly likely), there is no focus at all - focus is permanently set to infinity at the factory!
Look at the detail on the keyboard a bit behind the cube, It is far better than the foreground. If she backed up just those few inches she would get a better picture.

People think with a low res camera they have to fill the frame to get the best picture. But you have to take focus into account, and usually that only requires backing up a bit.

Owl: Please replace these pictures! It makes me sad just looking at them. When they are replaced I have a feeling the stickers will make me sad, but let's deal with that when we get there...

Dave :)

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:31 am
Location: Greece, Australia, Thailand, India, Singapore.
It's a KO!!! It uses the V-1 mechanism, which is why it (literally) cuts corners so smoothly.

:lol:


Pantazis

_________________

Educational R&D, Gravity, 4D Symmetry, Puzzle Ninja, Matrix Mech, Alien Technology.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 10:13 am
Location: Norway
How about a concave 1x1x1?? :mrgreen:

Per

_________________
"Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans" -John Lennon, Beautiful Boy


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:58 pm
Location: Louisiana, US
DLitwin wrote:
Look at the detail on the keyboard a bit behind the cube, It is far better than the foreground. If she backed up just those few inches she would get a better picture.

People think with a low res camera they have to fill the frame to get the best picture. But you have to take focus into account, and usually that only requires backing up a bit.
The keyboard is not in perfect focus either. By shrinking the cubie down to 25%, you can see it's true size roughly proportional to the keys on the keyboard. Both have approximately the same detail level of fuzz now. If he'd taken the photo from further back and then cropped/zoomed in, the cubie will still be out of focus with the same level of fuzziness proportional to itself, now with increased digital noise due to the lower sampling resolution.


Attachments:
fuzzy.jpg
fuzzy.jpg [ 45.73 KiB | Viewed 3110 times ]

_________________
My Creepy 3D Rubik's Cube Video
cisco wrote:
Yeah, Uwe is Dalai Lama and Paganotis is mother Teresa of Calcutta.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
stardust4ever wrote:
The keyboard is not in perfect focus either. By shrinking the cubie down to 25%, you can see it's true size roughly proportional to the keys on the keyboard. Both have approximately the same detail level of fuzz now. If he'd taken the photo from further back and then cropped/zoomed in, the cubie will still be out of focus with the same level of fuzziness proportional to itself, now with increased digital noise due to the lower sampling resolution.
I see your point but looking at the wood grain of the table from the cube going back I see more detail a bit back before the keyboard is hit so I might still believe it could be better.

To avoid going further off topic I think we can both agree if that is the best that can be done, clearly a different camera is in order :)

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:57 pm
Location: Pittsburgh
stardust4ever wrote:
The keyboard is not in perfect focus either. By shrinking the cubie down to 25%, you can see it's true size roughly proportional to the keys on the keyboard. Both have approximately the same detail level of fuzz now. If he'd taken the photo from further back and then cropped/zoomed in, the cubie will still be out of focus with the same level of fuzziness proportional to itself, now with increased digital noise due to the lower sampling resolution.
This isn't really how pictures work, though. If I take a picture of my hand, close to a camera with something in the background, and then resize my hand to match how large it would be with the in focus background, it wouldn't magically be in focus.

_________________
3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Chichester, England
I know I'm not a moderator, but does there have to be so many posts about the kind of camera, what angle to take the picture, how far back, etc... Dave has already posted about it, could the rest of the posts be about the puzzle and not the camera (I have a feeling I'll get told off by a moderator for this... :? )

_________________
3x3x3 single: 5.73 seconds.
3x3x3 average of five: 8.92 seconds.
3x3x3 average of twelve: 9.77 seconds.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl (macro feature)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 pm
Hello,

I completely agree that this topic has derailed, but I am very much interested in continuing this photography discussion and helping 0wlstudioz achieve better photographs for this mod and for her future mods. :D

Moderator, maybe you should move this post (and some of the previous photography related post) to a new Off Topic topic.

0wlstudioz, according to the EXIF metadata of your images, you have an Insignia NS-DSC7P09 digital camera. This camera has a "macro" feature, which lets you focus on very close objects. See your manual for details (or click on the image below for a screen capture of the appropriate page in a PDF manual I found online).

Try it. :wink:

Skarabajo


Attachments:
File comment: Insignia NS-DSC7P09 macro feature
Insignia_NS-DSC7P09_macro.jpg
Insignia_NS-DSC7P09_macro.jpg [ 185.11 KiB | Viewed 3065 times ]

_________________
My collection | My first mod | Making of first mod | Items for sale
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl (macro feature)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am
Location: Somewhere
Skarabajo wrote:
Hello,

I completely agree that this topic has derailed, but I am very much interested in continuing this photography discussion and helping 0wlstudioz achieve better photographs for this mod and for her future mods. :D

Moderator, maybe you should move this post (and some of the previous photography related post) to a new Off Topic topic.

0wlstudioz, according to the EXIF metadata of your images, you have an Insignia NS-DSC7P09 digital camera. This camera has a "macro" feature, which lets you focus on very close objects. See your manual for details (or click on the image below for a screen capture of the appropriate page in a PDF manual I found online).

Try it. :wink:

Skarabajo

i did use macro but i will try to update the photos. and please i would like to see dicussion on my puzzle. Thank you! :D

_________________
i like pineapple My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/0wlstudioz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: pillowed 1x1 by Owl ( updated)
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Fair enough, no more discussion of photography in this thread (I'll be good and not comment on the picture replacements...). My apologies for letting it go this far, poor puzzle pictures on this forum are a bit of a sore spot with me.

For those interested in the topic, it has been discussed before here. Don't post there unless you have something pretty worthwhile to share that will make up for a four year bump. If you want an active discussion about it that is novel it is probably best to start a new thread in Off Topic and link to the older topic like I just have.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am
Location: Somewhere
yes another 1x1 mod but hey you get something new every week be grateful :lol:

here is a half -truncated 1x1 that was made in 1 hour (paint takes a while to dry.) (at least the stickers are good :D )
the pictures wont get any better sorry
video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDULBmGsHa0
[color=#FF0000]oh and im sorry the pictures will be like this for a while but i cant retake the ones i have until later its a unexplainable process.


Attachments:
DSCI1034.JPG
DSCI1034.JPG [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 3202 times ]
DSCI1033.JPG
DSCI1033.JPG [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 3202 times ]

_________________
i like pineapple My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/0wlstudioz


Last edited by 0wlstudioz on Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 pm
Location: USA Michigan
I love the low resolution pictures! (cough cough) I'm sure your craftsmanship is excellent but could you please take better pictures. I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say that we would like to see a better picture.

Chris :D :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am
Location: Somewhere
mizzle576 wrote:
I love the low resolution pictures! (cough cough) I'm sure your craftsmanship is excellent but could you please take better pictures. I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say that we would like to see a better picture.

Chris :D :D


dont get me started viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18948

_________________
i like pineapple My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/0wlstudioz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:39 pm
Location: USA Michigan
0wlstudioz wrote:
mizzle576 wrote:
I love the low resolution pictures! (cough cough) I'm sure your craftsmanship is excellent but could you please take better pictures. I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say that we would like to see a better picture.

Chris :D :D


dont get me started viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18948


I am sorry, I did not mean to add fuel to the fire.

Chris :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am
Location: Somewhere
mizzle576 wrote:
0wlstudioz wrote:
mizzle576 wrote:
I love the low resolution pictures! (cough cough) I'm sure your craftsmanship is excellent but could you please take better pictures. I am sure that I speak for all of us when I say that we would like to see a better picture.

Chris :D :D


dont get me started viewtopic.php?f=15&t=18948


I am sorry, I did not mean to add fuel to the fire.

Chris :D


no problem its just happened before

_________________
i like pineapple My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/0wlstudioz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:21 pm
Location: Chichester, England
Great puzzle (Is it a puzzle?) :D . I like these simple mods, they look very nice due to their simplicity.

_________________
3x3x3 single: 5.73 seconds.
3x3x3 average of five: 8.92 seconds.
3x3x3 average of twelve: 9.77 seconds.

Buy the Curvy Copter Skewb, NovaMinx, and more here!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:58 pm
Great idea 0wlstudioz! :D

I wonder if it is the first one.

Peace,

Skarabajo.

_________________
My collection | My first mod | Making of first mod | Items for sale


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: Evanston, IL
Well done.

For the pictures, notice how the background is in focus on all of the pictures you have posted? You just need to hold the camera at that distance and then zoom in on the puzzle. It's pretty simple. I look forward to your results.

-π (Eitan)

_________________
Eitan = "EIGHT-ahn"
Buy a Radio Cube 3! Only $150 at Eitan's Shapeways Shop
Check out my video: Twisty Puzzles a la Vi



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:53 am
Do you want your 1x1 pics to look like this?

Image

I made a video for you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oSDMJfgmCw

Sorry for continuing the photography discussion, but I like helping people out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: half truncated 1x1
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:17 am
Location: Missourica
Let's see a Siamese 1x1, that would be tricky to solve :)

Adam

_________________
Adam Brown, Puzzle Builder/Modder

Past project: The Geode
Current Project: Replica RPK-74
Future Project: Possibly another master mental
Oskar wrote:
I am now adding dummy cubes to my models to cross the 10% density threshold and save myself money big time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: X-cube 1x1
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am
Location: Somewhere
a 1x1 version of my x-cube


Attachments:
DSCI1043.JPG
DSCI1043.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 2793 times ]
DSCI1042.JPG
DSCI1042.JPG [ 2.76 MiB | Viewed 2793 times ]
DSCI1038.JPG
DSCI1038.JPG [ 1.38 MiB | Viewed 2793 times ]

_________________
i like pineapple My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/0wlstudioz
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1x1 mods by Owl ( updated)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:32 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
As these aren't puzzles I have moved this topic to Off Topic.

With an expected one per week I have also combined all three of the 1x1 mods into a single thread.

Dave

_________________
Image
LitwinPuzzles.com has info on my puzzles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1x1 mods by Owl ( updated)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:06 pm
How about a Fisher 1x1? :lol: Or a cuboctahedron 1x1? Or what about a Bump 1x1? :lol: I have already built a siamese 1x1 so that's already taken. :P But a triamese 1x1 isn't :D

_________________
~cubeguy314~


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 1x1 mods by Owl ( updated)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 8:32 am
Location: Somewhere
cubeguy314 wrote:
How about a Fisher 1x1? :lol: Or a cuboctahedron 1x1? Or what about a Bump 1x1? :lol: I have already built a siamese 1x1 so that's already taken. :P But a triamese 1x1 isn't :D

yea but some people dont seem to be the biggest fan of my 1x1s.

_________________
i like pineapple My youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/0wlstudioz


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Forum powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group