Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: New [removed] puzzles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:25 pm 

SEBUVER wrote:
TomZ wrote:
For starters Seven Towns claim the look of the Rubik's cube is their trademark.

That is stupid. So say I decided to mass produce a corner turning puzzle that looked like a 3x3x3, it would be illegal?

No, it won't. Moreover, this trademark matter is tricky. It's for Rubik's cube that has Rubik's logo, certain color of plastic, certain colors of stickers, and certain sticker arrangement. Most of the time all of that has nothing to do with magic cubes.

Post subject: Re: New [removed] puzzles
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:34 pm 

Much has been said on this issue and those of us who have spent a lot of time on it before won't necessarily be excited to see it again. Before posting on this topic read the forum and make sure you are adding something new. The site search feature will likely turn up a lot to read and catch up on if you have not been following this topic over the last year or so.

Regarding Rubik's and trademark this has been mentioned before so please look it up and read what has been written already. I don't know enough about the issue to come down with a site policy on it and clearly there is a greater difference of views than for other things considered KO.

I don't have a lot of experience in the area but Wikipedia (here) says this about trademark in its "Fundamental concepts" section:
Wikipedia wrote:
The essential function of a trademark is to exclusively identify the commercial source or origin of products or services, such that a trademark, properly called, indicates source or serves as a badge of origin. In other words, trademarks serve to identify a particular business as the source of goods or services.
I think a credible argument could be made that there are a large number of non-Rubik 3x3x3s for which there is no attempted confusion that they originate from Rubik's (i.e. Seven Towns).

I found this link about a ruling against the trademark, although it was for cubes of different colors. It is informative on the subject, however.
On cubes with the same coloring I would assume the trademark to be stronger. I would also be curious as to how this trademark applies to a DIY where coloring is determined by the builder (although the source colors may be the same).

Dave