Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gift Cube by OSKAR
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:10 am 

Hi Twisty Puzzles fans,

Gift Cube was commissioned by Matthew Farnsworth. Matt had this idea of a special Rubik's Cube with a ring inside. The girl who would solve the cube and find the ring would be forever his. Matthew had already found the right girl, as his girlfriend Mindy can solve a Rubik's Cube. However, he did not yet have this special Rubik's Cube. Matthew contacted me for help. Having seen my Hollow Cube and the hollow Turn Apart, he thought I would be the right man for the job.

Gift Cube is a Rubik's Cube with a spherical cavity inside. The 26 pieces link together with dovetail connections. Some of these dovetails have notches. When the Gift Cube is solved, you can take off the top layer and get the content out of the cube. I made big openings at the sides of the edge- and corner pieces, so the solver can see the outside of the spherical cavity and deduce that there is something special about this Cube.

As for the story of Mindy and Matt, Matt bought the Gift Cube from my Shapeways Shop. He dyed the pieces black and he applied stickers provided by Dr. Sticker. One stickered face is a red heart. Matt put an engagement ring inside the Gift Cube, he scrambled it and he hid it in the bottom of a box of his old high school memorabilia. On Saturday 15 May 2010, Mindy and Matt went though the memorabilia and Mindy discovered the cube. She solved it and she found the ring. Matt proposed, Mindy said yes and they lived happily ever after. Read the full romantic story at the at the Shapeways Blog.

Watch the YouTube video.
Buy the puzzle from my Shapeways Shop.
Read the romantic story at the Shapeways Blog.
Read more at the Shapeways Forum.
Read the blog about it in Los Angeles Times.
Check out the photos below.

Enjoy!

Oskar
Attachment:
Gift Cube - prototype - view 1.jpg
Gift Cube - prototype - view 1.jpg [ 38.87 KiB | Viewed 8422 times ]

Attachment:
Gift Cube - prototype - view 2.jpg
Gift Cube - prototype - view 2.jpg [ 45.68 KiB | Viewed 8422 times ]

Attachment:
Gift Cube - prototype - view 3.jpg
Gift Cube - prototype - view 3.jpg [ 40.36 KiB | Viewed 8422 times ]

Attachment:
Gift Cube - prototype - view 4.jpg
Gift Cube - prototype - view 4.jpg [ 41.86 KiB | Viewed 8422 times ]

Last edited by Oskar on Sun May 30, 2010 5:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Gift Cube by OSKAR
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:33 am 

So can it be opened if just the top two layers are solved, or does it require the whole cube to be solved?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:46 am 

Bryan wrote:
So can it be opened if just the top two layers are solved, or does it require the whole cube to be solved?
You have deduced correctly that solving the top two layers is sufficient. I also made all centers rotation symmetrical, such that the cube can be opened with centers in any orientation.

Oskar

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:52 am 

That´s awesome! This Matt wasn't the only one who thought of this idea, there have probably been a lot more people (including myself) who have thought/dreamed of solving a Rubik's cube in order to open some lock or to keep the objects inside a secret.

So I understand this one is fully functional, exactly like a Rubik's Cube? Because the Turn Apart puzzle was blocked, and could only be turned in a way that benefitted the turning apart, not a full scramble.

Someone inform Uwe about this one!!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:04 am 

Me and my friends have been talking about something just like this :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:22 am 

Sjoerd wrote:
So I understand this one is fully functional, exactly like a Rubik's Cube?
Correct, although the 3D-printed puzzle is of course no speed-cubing quality.

Oskar

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:57 am 

Sjoerd wrote:
That´s awesome! This Matt wasn't the only one who thought of this idea, there have probably been a lot more people (including myself) who have thought/dreamed of solving a Rubik's cube in order to open some lock or to keep the objects inside a secret.

I'm not a puzzle builder myself, but I've also been wondering if it's possible to build a cube which can be opened once it's solved.
Just imagine, this would be perfect to smuggle goods to some foreign country. :shock: Just hide something inside, scramble it and send it on it's way. I don't think there are many customs officials who would suspect anything, let alone being able to solve it and claim the hidden treasures :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:04 am 

Paul87 wrote:
Sjoerd wrote:

I'm not a puzzle builder myself, but I've also been wondering if it's possible to build a cube which can be opened once it's solved.
Just imagine, this would be perfect to smuggle goods to some foreign country. :shock: Just hide something inside, scramble it and send it on it's way. I don't think there are many customs officials who would suspect anything, let alone being able to solve it and claim the hidden treasures :lol:

If I were a security guard/customs official, I'd solve every scrambled puzzle and scramble every solved puzzle.

Just hope io's shipment of helicopter cubes doesn't get past me, or he'll have to solve ALL OF THEM before he can ship them out!

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:05 am 

this is awesome in so many ways, great puzzle, great reason to make the puzzle :D just need to make it all 3 layers to remove the layer and we have some awesome things to make :D

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:37 am 

I very much like the idea. This might be the key to the illusive solve-to-stop alarm clock. You could set the alarm, put it inside of this, scramble it, and when it goes off you need to solve it to get access to the stop button.

Oskar wrote:
although the 3D-printed puzzle is of course no speed-cubing quality.
I think the fact the puzzle doesn't turn all that good lies more in the fact that dovetail mechanisms are not ideal and the sintered material doesn't help either. But by no means it is inherent of SLS puzzles to not turn well. [The video shows a full SLS print, not a mass produced puzzle]

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:06 pm 

Great idea!

Oskar wrote:
Bryan wrote:
You have deduced correctly that solving the top two layers is sufficient. I also made all centers rotation symmetrical, such that the cube can be opened with centers in any orientation.

Oskar

Does this mean that ALL the layers (and therefore all 26 individual pieces) can come apart in the solved (or semi-solved) state?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:05 pm 

That's also an elegant solution to the problem of "how-to-assemble."

I've contemplated puzzle designs that use interlocked grooves (dovetails) but I always worried about putting them together--without resorting to brute force!

Very elegant, indeed.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:11 pm 

Read the full romatic story at the Shapeways Blog.

Oskar

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:17 pm 

This is such a great puzzle. A hollow 3x3x3 cube itself is great but I can't believe you have to solve it to open. Ingenious design again. You are definetly one of the most ingenious minds in puzzle constructing, and I am sure in general, I have ever got to know.

But I think you are a bit ruthless this time since I saw through your intentions. It is obvious that you are trying to place a bomb inside the cube and blow up some KO facility. The shapeways 3D print is part of your plan: like you said already, it's not speed solvable. Whoever will have to disarm the bomb will have no chance to acces it fast enough.
You gave to much away this time. But fortunately we will keep this between ourselves. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 3:58 pm 

I'm kinda disappointed that I wasn't the only one who thought of this, but I'll forgive you because you pulled it off much more beautifully than I ever could have. :lol:
Let's hope that this will still be available in 10 years, I might need it.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:38 pm 

Great puzzle and great story... thanks.

Now what I want to see is Gift Cube 2.0 that requires all 3 layers to be solved before you can open it. I don't have a clue how to pull that off but if anyone can slove that problem Oskar can.

Can this dovetail method be used to make a domino 3x3x2 that must be completely solved before it can be opened? How about a fully functional 2x2x2 that can be opened only when solved? An unbandaged version of the Turn Apart puzzle if you will...

Lots of interesting ideas here,
Carl

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 9:40 pm 

Congratulations!
I came up with the same mechanism for Master Skewb,
I am glad that you did it for 3 * 3 * 3

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:14 am 

FYI: I was just interviewed by Los Angeles Times about my Shapeways puzzles.

Oskar

Attachment:
Oskar in LA Times 1.jpg
Oskar in LA Times 1.jpg [ 134.62 KiB | Viewed 7641 times ]

Attachment:
Oskar in LA Times 2.jpg
Oskar in LA Times 2.jpg [ 100.97 KiB | Viewed 7641 times ]