Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pillowed Xenomorphix (Fixed and Video added)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:43 pm 

Hi Everyone,

Here is my latest puzzle mod, the Pillowed Xenomorphix. It is made from a Fisher Cube that was purchased from Meffert's. Some of the pieces were capped with 1mm thick polystyrene and some of the pieces were filled with Smooth Cast 300. Here is the story of this puzzle.

So, some time ago I remember seeing Justin's Xenomorphix that he completed almost a year ago.

http://www.twistypuzzles.com/forum/view ... 88&start=0

I must of missed it when is was first built as I only saw it about 2 months ago when doing a search on some puzzles (excellent job Justin). When I received my Fisher Cube's I decided that I wanted to make a Xenomorphix but instead of building up from a Half-truncated cube I would build up from a Tetra-Pyramid. When I was finished I didn't like it at all. I am not sure what it was but the lines just didn't look nice. So instead of scrapping it I decided to fill in some of the pieces with Smooth Cast 300 and do my best to shape it into a pillowed puzzle. I was pretty happy with the shape when I was finished but you could tell where all three materials were used (Smooth Cast, plastic sheet, and extensions from a white DIY) as they were three different shades of white. Sounds silly, but it really was noticeable. Since I had some Black Krylon Fusion paint left, I decided to paint it to make it look as nice as possible. Here is the finished puzzle with Oracal Vinyl stikcers. But I have run into a small problem.........

Attachment:
PillowedXenomorphix2.jpg
PillowedXenomorphix2.jpg [ 62.48 KiB | Viewed 3579 times ]

Attachment:
PillowedXenomorpix.jpg
PillowedXenomorpix.jpg [ 64.04 KiB | Viewed 3579 times ]

Attachment:
PillowedXenomorphix1.jpg
PillowedXenomorphix1.jpg [ 63.18 KiB | Viewed 3579 times ]

Attachment:
PillowedXenomorphix3.jpg
PillowedXenomorphix3.jpg [ 53.53 KiB | Viewed 3579 times ]

I made sure that when I was painting that I used thin coats (4 in total) and sprayed evenly. None of the internals were painted and I waited 7 days before putting it back together to make sure that it would dry fully to become chip-resistant (as indicated on the paint can). But now I am have chipping happening on the turning areas on the puzzle.

Attachment:
pillowedxenomorphix4.jpg
pillowedxenomorphix4.jpg [ 36.84 KiB | Viewed 3579 times ]

Does anyone know a way to prevent this??? I am pretty sure that I am stuck with it the way it is but any help would be appreciated.

I played with it a bit to make sure that it didn't get too bad and it is ok but it is still noticeable when you rotate the layers. There is no chipping on the face of the puzzle. Any info would be appreciated. I usually do not like to paint my puzzles and this will be most likely the last time I do so.

Last edited by Apollo on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pillowed Xenomorphix (Need some help too please)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:53 pm 

Great puzzle! It's interesting how different it looks when it's pillowed.

About the chipping: Is it actually chipping the plastic? Or is it just chipping the paint? Did you use masking tape to cover up the mechanism and inner surfaces when you painted it?

-π (Eitan)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:13 pm 

It is the paint that is chipping. The internals were covered but not the rotating layers. I think that is where I got into trouble but I didn't want the white to be noticeable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:28 pm 

Dye them like dying casted parts? :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:44 pm 

Oh. Hmm... I'm not sure how to help you there. I've never been a fan of painting puzzles either. After my first few, I just made sure that if any of the internal puzzle would show, I ordered the same color internal puzzle as the casting plastic I would be using.

Good luck, though.

-π (Eitan)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:03 pm 

I'm not a fan of pillowing, but in this instance I think it was a good choice. Some of the extensions in my version were very large, requiring a lot of material and consequently it was tricky to get the geometry correct. The pieces look more in proportion to each other in your version, which I think is a good thing.

I think sanding down the inner surfaces before spraying, to allow for the thickness of the paint layer is probably the way to go, but having only spray painted a puzzle once (and not liking it very much), I'm not the best person to give advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:43 pm 

I have had the same problem with the color on some of my mods,
my pillowed 3x3x2 for example,
after assembling it and just doing some turns so did some paint fall off,
but then did I lube it with silicone spray, that did keep the paint in place for some reason

Swedish cuber/builder

my epic 1x2x5

My super awesome website :D
http://www.olzcubez.tk/ - down for the moment...

http://www.youtube.com/user/olz91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:28 pm 

I was a little worried for you as it has been a long time since you have made a puzzle.Great job looking forward for a video. :D

"Cheap cube is not great. Great cube is not cheap."

I'm with Frank

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:46 am 

i've ever tested spray dying using plastic oils, it's very difficult to adhere perfectly and sort of craft. here are some possible suggestions:
1. wash it thoroughly and keep it sealed and dry before spraying;
2. spray in dust-free environment or a sealed container;
3. spray two layers, first a layer of gloss oil(to work as a basis), second layer the color you want;
4. before put into use, test it using strong tapes to make sure the quality is OK.

Nice job though!

[EDIT]
O, one important thing to add: keep the nozzle enough far away to get parts evenly sprayed. Oil will gather quite easily in concaved parts. Spray in several runs if necessary. A bit waste but helps.

Leslie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:45 pm 

I have worked with something like this for long time. in my opinion, you should spay 3-5 layers and use dryer to dry it. After spray, use silicone. It takes me about 30' to spray and I waited 12h before putting it back together. But the bigest problem is: maybe my paiting material is different from yours.
Good luck.
Minh Thang.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:34 pm 

I've tried painting a puzzle this way before, and I have had the same problems. There has been some discussion about painting puzzles on the forum in the past--mainly discussing the types of plastic a paint will bond to. Although there are spray paints designed to bond to plastic, they will not bond to ALL plastics.

What you can try to do is apply a primer first, such as Rustoleum Plastic Primer, and then paint. To take it one step further, and/or if you don't want to sand off the paint you've already applied to start from scratch, you can try to cover it with a clear coat. The clear coat might bond well with the paint (probably not with the plastic directly) and give it an extra layer of protection from chipping and scratching. I have done this on one of my puzzles, and although it is far from perfect, it does help quite a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:26 pm 

Wow, thanks for all the info everyone. This really helps alot. I hope to have a chance today to work on things. (Our daycare provider has been sick :( ) I plan on doing a little sanding and lubricating the puzzle first to see if this helps since the chipping is not that bad. If this doesn't work than I will try something else, probably dye.

All of the suggestions that were mentioned here were done when painting (sanding, cleaning, lite coats) the areas that are chiping did have a little more paint on it then other pieces. I might of been standing a little close when painting at certain times.

I will keep you up to date and hope to have more info tomorrow.

Thank-you again everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:33 pm 

Finally after a few weeks of really windy weather I was finally able to get outside and repaint this puzzle.

When I took the puzzle apart I noticed that there were two small bumps on the core pieces that were scratching the paint on only some of the pieces, mainly the edges. So sanded everything back down again and repainted. After a week of drying I lubricated the puzzle and let it dry for 24 hours. After putting it back together, clean up, and stickering it feels like a dream. I have rotated several times and played with a little and there seems to be no chipping at all. Thank-you very much everyone for your help.

The drying of the lubricant is really important . I lubricated a test piece that I painted and touched after a few seconds and it was super sticky and left my fingerprint in the piece. Thanks for the info on telling me to wait. That would have been a sticky mess.

Here is a video of the puzzle. I hope you enjoy and thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxHic5vcTWU

Post subject: Re: Pillowed Xenomorphix (Fixed and Video added)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:26 pm 

Tools of the lazy modder:

• Liquid Plastic Welder (like Tenax 7-R) - melts styrene and other plastics together. Solid and twistable within a minute or two.
  • Black Sharpie markers - dries on styrene within about 10 seconds to an opaque glossy finish.

None of this "waiting 24 hours" stuff. :)

Post subject: Re: Pillowed Xenomorphix (Fixed and Video added)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:30 pm 

True, but since it was styrene, ABS, and casting resin sharpie wouldn't stay on evenly. Too bad because this puzzle took a very long time to finish. I should have just bought white spray paint. Oh, well lesson learned. :lol: