Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mass Produced Rhombic Dodecahedron
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:42 am 

I'm pretty sure this isn't against the rules or KO policy, please correct me if I am wrong. :wink:

I just noticed there was this for sale on Cube4you:

-Mark- :|

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Squiggle is such a funny word to say out loud. Squiggle! :lol:

I am with Frank's Family

Post subject: Re: Mass Produced Rhombic Dodecahedron
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:01 am 

thats ....different..... now time to go investigate its origins. but if its legit.... i have been waiting for this for many months

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:04 am 

Oh, come on, people. It's great to see such a good mod mass produced. Even if this puzzle can be traced to a particular inventor (which I doubt), it is such an obvious mod that any intellectual property rights would be very difficult to defend.

I say "Good for James".

-pi (Eitan)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:10 am 

pirsquared wrote:
Oh, come on, people. It's great to see such a good mod mass produced. Even if this puzzle can be traced to a particular inventor (which I doubt), it is such an obvious mod that any intellectual property rights would be very difficult to defend.

I say "Good for James".

-pi (Eitan)

I agree, lets not have a repeat of the teraminx thread. This a common mod that has been made many time and I'm glad I can finally have one for myself. I will be for sure buying this.

So I as well say "Good for James"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:17 am 

pirsquared wrote:
Oh, come on, people.

Yes, I agree, It is good, I just don't want to get into any trouble with anybody because of posting this :P

-Mark- :)

Kelvin Stott wrote:

I am with Frank's Family

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:52 am 

it just feels like we are always walking on glass. You say, good for james, then some random piece of information arises lets say, hypothetically, they were going to be produced by mefferts (just for example), but some random supply was shipped here or there, and before we know it..... sigh..... i hope you know where im going with this, its just like, before i get excited, i want to make sure that the source as..... legitimate.... as possible. Regardless, i think the white one looks fantastic, i think i will get one when the time comes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:26 am 

this is pretty cool, why is the last one truncated? does it have removable tips?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:10 am 

Those are some small fillets. That is going to be pointy to the touch.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:31 am 

That´s cool! I may order one for late christmas, as well as some other c4y puzzles.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am 

This is pretty neat, it seems in the last year, more and more of the most famous 3x3 mods are becoming available, which has always been a good thing for me, since i could never make them well myself :lol: .

Im With Frank!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:13 am 

It can't be a knockoff if there are no patents -.-

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:20 am 

Yes, it can be a knockoff if there is no patent. Patents are not the only form of intellectual property.
I think this is fair game, I don't think there is anybody who could really claim to be the inventor of this mod.

It looks good to me, but does anybody know what the greys circular sticker are in that last picture of the other puzzle?

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:45 am 

Alternate center caps?

3x3x3 PB: 00:48.10
"Study gravitation, it's a field with a lot of potential."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:23 am 

No fair! I have built that thing years ago and now everybody can buy it... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:39 am 

LOL!

I'm looking forward to this, It's something I've wanted to play with for a while now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:49 pm 

pic 3 = eww

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:55 pm 

Bah! I'm finishing up my finals for this semester, and was going to make one of these over winter break... Now it's much less exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:07 pm 

Looking at the 3rd pic, would it be possible to split each gray-spotted square into 4 isosceles triangles and then have a mechanism with Skewb-like moves around 8 of the corners, where each Skewb-like move scoops up 3 pairs of adjacent triangles in between 3 rectangles? (In addition to the 3x3x3 moves around the other 6 corners, that is.)

If this is possible, I think it would make an interesting puzzle, especially if a color scheme is used where all those triangles have to be permuted correctly, and the rectangles (3x3x3 edges) have to be oriented correctly, along with the corners.

Edit: Below is an image to illustrate what I mean. The red lines show how 3x3x3 center pieces would be split into 4 triangles each; the blue lines show the pieces rotated by a corner move; and the thin gray lines show the boundaries of 24 areas (turquoise, orange, and magenta are filled in) which could either be individually colored, or paired in various ways to give a 12 color/area scheme (if such a puzzle is possible, that is!).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:27 pm 

i saw this this afternoon.. i was really made because i put so much pride and joy into my rhombic dodecahedron mod.. i spent such care and time making it... and now look.. it gets mass produced... =[..

R.I.P. Frank (Flambore) you will always be in my memories.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:00 pm 

RedRoost80 wrote:
i saw this this afternoon.. i was really made because i put so much pride and joy into my rhombic dodecahedron mod.. i spent such care and time making it... and now look.. it gets mass produced... =[..

Same here, I'm like half way through making mine, i guess i'll have to see if i can turn it into something else instead.

Drewseph wrote:
You can improve the quality of the turning by placing it in the trash.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:02 pm 

Julian wrote:
Looking at the 3rd pic, would it be possible to split each gray-spotted square into 4 isosceles triangles and then have a mechanism with Skewb-like moves around 8 of the corners, where each Skewb-like move scoops up 3 pairs of adjacent triangles in between 3 rectangles? (In addition to the 3x3x3 moves around the other 6 corners, that is.)

If this is possible, I think it would make an interesting puzzle, especially if a color scheme is used where all those triangles have to be permuted correctly, and the rectangles (3x3x3 edges) have to be oriented correctly, along with the corners.

Edit: Below is an image to illustrate what I mean. The red lines show how 3x3x3 center pieces would be split into 4 triangles each; the blue lines show the pieces rotated by a corner move; and the thin gray lines show the boundaries of 24 areas (turquoise, orange, and magenta are filled in) which could either be individually colored, or paired in various ways to give a 12 color/area scheme (if such a puzzle is possible, that is!).

This would be a rhombic dodecahedron shape transformation of a 3x3x3 + dino cube, if I am correct.

-Mark- :wink:

Kelvin Stott wrote:

I am with Frank's Family

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:14 pm 

PotatoSpades22095 wrote:
RedRoost80 wrote:

Same here, I'm like half way through making mine, i guess i'll have to see if i can turn it into something else instead.

Guys, I have had a 3x3x2, 3x3x4, and a 3x3x5 right before they were mass produced. (and more but from different companies) Just think how drew is feeling right now with their minxes.

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:47 pm 

:roll: there is no pleasing people. First there are complaints of no puzzles, now there are complaints of puzzles :lol:

Seriously though, I have a number of custom made puzzles that I purchased for high prices. Only to see them mass produced at a later date. Am I upset about this? No. I'm happy to have those original puzzles in my collection. A lot of dedication went into making them perfect for me. I don't get that same "love" from a mass produced puzzle.

Don't stop making what you have started! You have a one of a kind unique puzzle-even with the mass produced variety out there now. You made it yourself. You spent the time perfecting it. You just can't get THAT from a machine!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:06 am 

katsmom wrote:
:roll: there is no pleasing people. First there are complaints of no puzzles, now there are complaints of puzzles :lol:

Seriously though, I have a number of custom made puzzles that I purchased for high prices. Only to see them mass produced at a later date. Am I upset about this? No. I'm happy to have those original puzzles in my collection. A lot of dedication went into making them perfect for me. I don't get that same "love" from a mass produced puzzle.

Don't stop making what you have started! You have a one of a kind unique puzzle-even with the mass produced variety out there now. You made it yourself. You spent the time perfecting it. You just can't get THAT from a machine!

Here here, katsmom!

-π (Eitan)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:50 am 

i wish they would stop mass producing popular mods, the gigaminx fisher cube and rhombic dodecahedron used to only be owned by modders, now loads of people have them

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:12 am 

jmcclure wrote:
i wish they would stop mass producing popular mods, the gigaminx fisher cube and rhombic dodecahedron used to only be owned by modders, now loads of people have them

If they produced rare mods people would cry too because then they wouldn't be rare and someone would undoubtably start shouting KO because it would be easier to trace the mod to the original builder.

http://www.youtube.com/user/336616

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:15 am 

Those grey dot stickers look awful but I like the look of the white one. :D

I don't know how I'm going to get this, I'm spending a load of money on puzzles, I'm getting a lot of puzzles for Christmas. I think I'll have to wait and see if I can get one without having to pay CforY shipping i.e DX. :lol: I might try and see if my parents will get me one for such a good report at parents evening. :D

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:52 pm 

Chinese dont mind about the puzzle inventor, so they dont have problem producing what puzzle they want to produce as long as they know they are the first one who will produce it first, so this one could not be consider as knock off, may be the super floppy cube and floppy cube as well is the best example of it!!! :scrambled:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:37 am 

Door wrote:
I'm pretty sure this isn't against the rules or KO policy, please correct me if I am wrong. :wink:
If you really are not sure PM a mod (me, DLitwin) or admin (Jin H Kim), don't post first. If it were a problem, we'd have to clean up the thread and issue a warning, etc. Check first guys, and save everyone the hassle.

It's also nice to cut down on all the speculation and discussion (7 post in this thread already?) by checking first and then stating you did (like Tony mentioned he cleared his (and other's) 11x11x11 with Sandy).

I am not aware of any claim on this puzzle. Perhaps sausage (who built and sold one mentioned here) knows more. Provided no one else knows of any, I'm interested in getting one for myself.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:00 am 

jmcclure wrote:
Do you have the same thoughts about the Slim Tower, Mirror Blocks, Pyraminx Crystal, and Golden Cube?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:40 am 

I oppose the slim toweres becuase it was a good begginer's project.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:02 pm 

I generally don't have much time to mod cubes, nor do I have extra cubes or keychain cubes to mod.

I like having the ability to get a slim tower, a cube I've wanted for a while, without cutting up a 3x3x3 and a keychain cube.

The Pyraminx Crystal would be a beast to mod from a megaminx, I'm glad I was able to order one of those, too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:30 pm 

jmcclure wrote:

If they stop mass producing popular mods, there would be less mechs/cores to experiment with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 am 

Take into account that tons of people have not too much skill, desire, access to, or money for materials needed to mod their puzzles to be like this. And besides, if no one here can really say if there are rights, this is Twistypuzzles.COM. If anyone had legal claims to the puzzle, someone would know by now.

This would be something I'd be psyched about on normal conditions, so yay on that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:29 am 

Can anyone say if the pyramidal center extensions are included or if there is an RD version and a truncated version separately?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:52 am 

They are listed as BLACK0, WHITE0, BLACK1, and WHITE1.

The 0's are RD and the 1's are truncated, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:51 am 

theVDude wrote:
They are listed as BLACK0, WHITE0, BLACK1, and WHITE1.

The 0's are RD and the 1's are truncated, I believe.

Are you sure that they're that way around? I emailed C4Y but I haven't received an email back. I might get one of these after Christmas and would like to know which the 0s are and which the 1s are.

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:56 am 

Hes right if you go to the page and click on them it shows a picture

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:38 pm 

I will be receiving one today if the scheduled delivery is on time. I ordered the White0, hoping it is the regular one. I will tell you in a couple of hours if that is the correct one.

Edit: I received my puzzle today, White0 and Black0 is for the regular rhombic dodecahedron.

-Uhrik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:50 pm 

Now available on popbuying with free shipping http://popbuying.com/detail.pb/sku.27010

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:01 pm 

AND now I know what I'm asking my dad to get me for my birthday!