Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Van Deventer/Cohen New Puzzles!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:06 am 

Cross Rings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3KSG2Bh-l0&feature=sub

Big Chop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKXnI7ed0ZE&feature=sub
A Dodecahedron?!!? Damn.

Post subject: Re: Van Deventer/Cohen New Puzzles!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:11 am 

I love the look of the big chop but it looks like a real pain to turn. You have to put it in a cage?!?!?

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:28 am 

APJ wrote:
You have to put it in a cage?!?!?

Yes you have. You have to move so many pieces simultaneously, if you'd do it by hand they pop very easily. Oscar brought this puzzle to DCD without the cage. I think he came up with it after he found out it won't work without it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:35 am 

That's a shame, the whole beauty of Rubik's Cube is the mechanism is completely hidden so that you can turn it without it getting in the way of your hands and fingers. Imagine if Rubik's Cube was just 27 simple cubes held together by an external cage!

Still, it's all part of the innovation process and we can't expect every puzzle from Oskar and Bram to defy the laws of physics and engineering! :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:48 pm 

these puzzles are not new! :) I so wish he would revisit the puzzle ring designs. right now they are too small to be printed in metal

My puzzles in the Museum
My Website
My Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:18 pm 

Unfortunately the cage for the Big Chop prevents any sort of jumbling. ...Does the stability of the mechanism have anything to do with the size of the metal core in proportion to the pieces?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:28 pm 

I think the stability of the mech comes right back down to the fact that the pieces have magnets on them, if theh ball were a magnet it would be more sturdy, but would not have happy side-effects with electronics.

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:52 am 

I never thought I would see a physical Big Chop! Amazing. Despite the nuisance of the cage, the beauty of this is that someone who really likes the puzzle has the opportunity to solve it in physical form. At 20 seconds per move, I estimate it would take nearly 10 hours to solve, not counting thinking/planning. But this could be done in sessions: left-handed pieces intuitive then grabbing 3-cycles then completing a face at a time, then right-handed pieces grabbing 3-cycles then completing a face at a time. Still quicker than a solving a physical Petaminx, I'd imagine!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:15 am 

The amount of floating parts in the big chop is amazing and the fact the whole thing stays together is a miracle! But, magnets, come on!-there has be another way, however that would result in a relatively more complex mechanism. The turning isn't great but what can you trully expect?-v-cube turning? Overall it's an okay puzzle. :)

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:22 pm 

This time, Oskar has disappointed me.. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:47 am 

MonkeyZ wrote:
The amount of floating parts in the big chop is amazing and the fact the whole thing stays together is a miracle! But, magnets, come on!-there has be another way, however that would result in a relatively more complex mechanism. The turning isn't great but what can you trully expect?-v-cube turning? Overall it's an okay puzzle. :)
My assumption is that Oskar and Bram are so ingenious at thinking of workable mechanisms, if there is a realistic alternative to magnets, Oskar would have mentioned it already. I can't see how any non-magnetic mechanism could work for this puzzle, except for 15 inner spheres (pairs of hemispheres), one for each axis, where: a) The design would have to be amazingly precise; b) Every part would have to be 3-D printed using the latest method; c) The size would be quite large; and d) You'd still need a cage to ensure perfect alignment when making turns.

But 15 pairs of hemispheres might not be practicable; 30 concentric spheres might be needed, one for every edge! I remember that another deep cut dodecahedron had 12 concentric spheres, one for each face, rather than 6 spheres, one for each axis, and I'm assuming this was a necessity for the puzzle to work.

Even assuming it's possible, so much ingenuity and effort and time would be involved, I think the creator would need a big incentive to get started, such as a sizeable offer and deposit from a collector.