Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 3 ColumnCubes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:18 am 

Hi,

here is my lately finished series of ColumnCubes.
From left to right:
1. ColumnCubes C+C+C+C
2. ColumnCubes E+E
3. ColumnCubes CE+CE

Here I implemented 7 new puzzles.
The other 2 were already presented by me way earlier and only in heavy disguise. Can somebody find them?

There are other possibilities for ColumnCubes which could be easily named with the scheme above but they will either be trivial or duplicates of something already built.

One puzzle left for finishing this series. Wait until sunday...

Attachments:
ColumnCubes.jpg
ColumnCubes.jpg [ 75.71 KiB | Viewed 1011 times ]

Post subject: Re: 3 ColumnCubes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:29 am 

they look awesome :shock:
but they also look a bit, uhm.. big.. and.. fragile? are they?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:32 am 

Nice idea, I can see you've been thinking a lot about wierd bandaging lately. :wink:

Just one question: Why didn't you make the bandaging symmetric, i.e., bandage the same layers (either one or two) at both ends, rather than two layers at one end and only one layer at the other? (I like symmetry)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:05 am 

:shock: wow....scramble pics? maybe a vid? :P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:07 am 

Some mega bandaging going on there :shock:.

Alex

YouTube Account: Cubiksrube113

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:36 pm 

Nice idea, looks great. Did you use actual sized 3x3? if you did, then they must be huge! :lol:

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:54 am 

Kelvin Stott wrote:
Just one question: Why didn't you make the bandaging symmetric, i.e., bandage the same layers (either one or two) at both ends, rather than two layers at one end and only one layer at the other? (I like symmetry)

I think he wanted to cover all 3 cases... notice the middle one has 3 layers bandaged. This way you have 3 unique puzzles per Column Cube instead of just 2. I like it... and I'm a fan of symmetry too. :)

Carl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:46 pm 

Simple yet very creative! I am trying all of the bandaged variations on my regular 3x3, The one on the bottom left I have to find a new U perm for, good job :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:23 pm 

wwwmwww wrote:
Kelvin Stott wrote:

I think he wanted to cover all 3 cases... notice the middle one has 3 layers bandaged. This way you have 3 unique puzzles per Column Cube instead of just 2. I like it... and I'm a fan of symmetry too. :)

Carl

Thanks, that makes sense. And I like it even more now that I understand the 3 puzzles are all different, with one, two, or three layers bandaged in each one. I'm also a big fan of "perfect" asymmetry, as you know from my own puzzles. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:53 am 

Thank you for the comments.

They are not fragile. The price was, that they are not speedsolvable.
The 3x3x3s are regular size and therefore one ColumnsCube is to big for your pants pocket but I assume it is handier than the MoleCube... *no pun intended*. The picture should show that, too.
In the case of this ColumnCube it is almost impossible to mix the middle cube up without getting to a symmetric pattern of any kind. What would you expect with just 192 possible permutations?

As I stated above I wanted to implement 7 new variants. That means wwwmwww is right, but maybe he should have mentioned that he had superior knowledge considering this project. :)

@KelvinScott: The idea for this project steamed from the same source as the Face-Bridge you found so inspiring.

Attachments:
File comment: Scrambled and size comparison
Scrambled.JPG
Scrambled.JPG [ 96.27 KiB | Viewed 1004 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:02 am 

Andreas Nortmann wrote:
The idea for this project steamed from the same source as the Face-Bridge you found so inspiring.

Speaking of sources for inspiration, looking at your picture has anyone thought of making a "puzzle watch" - a watch with a puzzle somehow integrated into it?

Just one example of how I come up with my ideas: by combining two or more existing ideas from different areas... :D