Online since 2002. Over 3300 puzzles, 2600 worldwide members, and 270,000 messages.

TwistyPuzzles.com Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Circle Minx!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:11 pm 

This is the first of several designs that I will be announcing over the next several weeks. Stay tuned! 8-)

The Circle Minx consists of 195 parts including the core, has an edge length of 40mm making the puzzle 89mm tall (3-1/2").
This puzzle has not been prototyped, yet, but I suspect it will be very soon... :D

Master parts will be available for a very limited time from Shapeways (until October 2), and a full print will also be available. A sticker template and hardware list will be available to any customers.

Full Print: $996.80 including core (White Strong and Flexible)
Master Parts: $97.22 core not included (White Glaze)
Core: $37.59 (White Strong and Flexible)

Until the puzzle is built, enjoy a teaser photo...

Attachments:
Circle Minx.JPG
Circle Minx.JPG [ 46.43 KiB | Viewed 2013 times ]

Videos on Youtube!

New Designs on Shapeways!

Post subject: Re: Circle Minx!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:40 pm 

When I got the email I was thinking "Jeez Daquin Bao, when will this end?" Do you have the rest of the plactonic solids? :wink: :mrgreen:

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:47 pm 

Ooooo please say someone has a circle FTO! That would just make me explode with joy :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:00 pm 

Pretty. I hope mine goes for half that when I finaly finish it up.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:21 pm 

well, circle FTO and circle Face-turning icosohedron are all that need to be made now!

"You are actually more off topic than me, you mentioned something on topic in the Off Topic forum."

"You more so for discussing the on-topic "off-topic" topic in the off-topic forum."

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:27 pm 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
The Circle Minx consists of 195 parts including the core, has an edge length of 40mm making the puzzle 89mm tall (3-1/2").
This puzzle has not been prototyped, yet, but I suspect it will be very soon... :D

Master parts will be available for a very limited time from Shapeways (until October 2), and a full print will also be available. A sticker template and hardware list will be available to any customers.

So this will only be available for a short time, and then never again, or will you be making them yourself in the future?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:42 pm 

The master parts will only be available until October 2. After that, only the full print will be offered. The White Glaze material specified is currently available for a trial run, and after that, may be discontinued. If it is available again, I may consider re-opening the master part offer.

Videos on Youtube!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:07 am 

It looks great, but i can never afford it... :(

But that is only 2 kinds of people what is the 3rd?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:05 am 

Location: USA, North America, Planet Earth, Solar system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
:!: :!: :!: I'd buy the masters if I had money and casting supplies. T.T I hope these masters come back, because even if I could afford the full-print, I would never buy it.

NEW VIDEOS-
3x3x3 stop-motion solve
Meffert's new Pyraminx Crystal solve
QJ 4x4x4 solve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:19 am 

Adam,
just curious why you limited the masters to the white-glaze material (not the white strong & flexible)

-Derek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:36 am 

And I'm curious whether the print resolution for white glaze is high enough.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:45 am 

White glaze appears to be pretty darn good material. It's like solvent smoothed masters only professionally smoothed. I've held a sample part (Joda head) and it was absolutely perfectly smooth and polished. Polyjet, while capable of producing very detailed parts, is not that smooth. Note that detailed is not the same thing as accurate.

Why on EARTH would ANYONE want white, strong and flexible masters? You can't solvent smooth it, you can't sand it, you can only smooth it using putty. And even then it's not ideal.

Buy my mass produced puzzles at Mefferts:
- 4x4x6 Cuboid for just $38
- Curvy Copter for just $18
- 3x4x5 Cuboid for just $34

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:59 am 

Thanks, Tom...
I haven't done any masters through Shapeways (yet), so it is good to hear the trade-offs...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:15 pm 

I like to try new materials and techniques in designing and building puzzles, and the vapor smoothed FDM parts have been on my list of things to try for quite a while. Until Shapeways started offering this material, the only place that I know offered it is Redeye RPM, and they are geared to an industrial customer, so a set of master parts from them would not be cost effective.

For puzzle master parts, the accuracy of smoothed FDM parts has been proven by many puzzle projects. I used this method for my first SuperX and Helicopter Cube in December 2006 - January 2007, with excellent results. I restricted the part to this material, both to try it out, and because the master part set is attached to a frame for smoothing. PolyJet parts would not need the frame.

Videos on Youtube!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:09 pm 

Puzzlemaster42 wrote:
For puzzle master parts, the accuracy of smoothed FDM parts has been proven by many puzzle projects. I used this method for my first SuperX and Helicopter Cube in December 2006 - January 2007, with excellent results. I restricted the part to this material, both to try it out, and because the master part set is attached to a frame for smoothing. PolyJet parts would not need the frame.

But you say this puzzle has not yet been prototyped... have you printed the masters yet, so that you can test the vapor smoothing compared to hand smoothing?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:31 pm 

bhearn wrote:
But you say this puzzle has not yet been prototyped...

Someone has made one. Though I'm not sure this is the same design Puzzlemaster42 is offering.

http://twistypuzzles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14523

Carl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:21 pm 

It is a different design.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:56 pm 

Perhaps this is an obvious question here, but I thought I'd ask anyway - If I buy the master parts, would a Cube4You gigaminx core work for this puzzle? I have three extras... :) I'm thinking probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:09 pm 

I bet so, but it might take some different hardware (screws, springs, washers).

"I discovered the triangle one day while shaving. I trimmed my beard like the intersection of three circles and noticed how I could unfog a square in the bathroom mirror by rubbing my beard circularly against the glass."-Franz Reuleaux

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:48 pm 

The core has pentagonal arms that fit into the pentagonal holes in the centers. This allows the center to have spring tension, but not turn. The C4Y gigaminx core would not work for this puzzle.

Videos on Youtube!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:59 pm 

Had to bump this topic in light of all the recent circle puzzle discussions and other news.

So at first, this puzzle seemed like a complete mindblower. I've been evaluating it for close to 15 minutes now, and have drawn several conclusions, that make the puzzle much simpler.

Inner circles edges are all married to eachother, and stuck in their orbital. They essentially act as a trivial tip, or the face of a super 1x1 babyface minx. Solving all inner edges is a trivial venture.

Inner corners are married to "opposite" inner corners (spanning a corner-edge-corner). The inner corners are also married to the "regular" megaminx edges, and the corners will fall into place when the outer minx is solved.

After putting all "trivial tips" into place, and compensating for the minor inconveniences they may cause throughout the solve, this puzzle solves no different then a regular megaminx.

Unless I'm missing something, which being myself, couldn't be possible. :D

Edit: Looking back, the puzzle shares all the same qualities of 3x3 circle cube. Who was expecting that, considering the megaminx and 3x3 are so closely related :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:00 pm 

Based on that logic then the 5x5x5 centers are trivial as well as the gigaminx centers. Imagine solving your gigaminx (and scrambling it) with inner layers only-tips stay in place. It does make it more dificult.